Home Automation - Smartkit

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Interesting @Dolby. Haven't been on the forum in a while, but just found this thread. Will go through it all in time and check out the Smartkit website in more detail...

Just getting into automation and doing some research. I have a Sonos One and I want to make Alexa run on iOS. The workarounds I have found involves changing region and losing my Apple Music subscription etc. Not really an option for me. I see there are a few people running Echo and Alexa here. Anyone using the iPhone app in SA? Any pointers?

calypso

Expert Member
Anyone fiddled with tensorflow in HA? Busy compiling it - want to have more intellegent camera notifications.

Also - anyone know where I can get network Hikvision camera's? Tired of unreliabe chinese crap.
I compiled up but was struggling with it. Also check this out.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/face-and-person-detection-with-deepstack-local-and-free/92041

Stopped testing through I can dont have a test camera to play with anymore, dont really have a need for cameras at my place.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Am I having dejavu or is @Sinbad late to the party?

We had the Nodered discussions numerous times in this thread.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So here’s a random thought.

I have a camera pointed at my front gate, albeit it at a kak angle.

It’s very analog though.

I also have an analog door bell with video feed.

Then I also have 2 x Wemos NodeMCU boards that didn’t end up working for what I had planned.

So is there any way to get either of those feeds “digital” and into a smarter door bell solution?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Am I having dejavu or is @Sinbad late to the party?

We had the Nodered discussions numerous times in this thread.
We did but I didn't pay a lot of attention to be honest.
Needed to see examples of applications relevant to me, which I've now seen and am sold :D

Power just went off at home

brettmcalister

Anyone fiddled with tensorflow in HA? Busy compiling it - want to have more intellegent camera notifications.

Also - anyone know where I can get network Hikvision camera's? Tired of unreliabe chinese crap.
easy-cctv.co.za - service is great and pricing is very competitive.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Pretty much.
I don't use the lovelace ui much at all to be honest, except to verify config and restart the service. I have some Appdaemon dashboards which I will replace with node red.
Curious to know why, as I haven't gotten around to setting up appdaemon yet, but loving node red.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Why replacing?
Mainly to teach myself node red.
Ah ok. I just thought maybe you had some things you weren't happy with in the appdaemon dashboards or saw node red dashboards were better for some reason.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ah ok. I just thought maybe you had some things you weren't happy with in the appdaemon dashboards or saw node red dashboards were better for some reason.
I like the visual flows. I suspect I'll be able to do more complex stuff than I can writing Python. I hate python.

Düber

So here’s a random thought.

I have a camera pointed at my front gate, albeit it at a kak angle.

It’s very analog though.

I also have an analog door bell with video feed.

Then I also have 2 x Wemos NodeMCU boards that didn’t end up working for what I had planned.

So is there any way to get either of those feeds “digital” and into a smarter door bell solution?
If you do find a solution or a way I would be very interested.
I use the cheap Chinese cameras as they are the only ones I can afford to replace when they get struck by lightning (happens often, through every protection device on the market).
I could start a list of all the things I have tried but it would be very long and tedious.

What would also be useful would be the ability to realtime "copy" pins from one nodemcu or esp8266( or even a RPI) onto a different remote one.

:)And while I'm busy with my christmas and birthday list, a easy workable intercom/phone system over a local network, the phone apps don't work very well.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If you do find a solution or a way I would be very interested.
I use the cheap Chinese cameras as they are the only ones I can afford to replace when they get struck by lightning (happens often, through every protection device on the market).
I could start a list of all the things I have tried but it would be very long and tedious.

What would also be useful would be the ability to realtime "copy" pins from one nodemcu or esp8266( or even a RPI) onto a different remote one.

:)And while I'm busy with my christmas and birthday list, a easy workable intercom/phone system over a local network, the phone apps don't work very well.
It’s a Digitech thing with a 4-wire setup on the indoor unit.

I would imagine one of those wires is the trigger so using that to notify something else that the door bell was rung shouldn’t be too hard.

It’s the video where it gets tricky as I assume there would be some kind of analog to digital conversion required.

Unless it’s already digital. Comes in on a single puny little wire.

Ultimately it would be nice to be able to answer the door from my phone, but honestly that amount of effort I might as well just buy a Ring or that new Xiaomi jobbie.

Düber

I would imagine one of those wires is the trigger so using that to notify something else that the door bell was rung shouldn’t be too hard.

It’s the video where it gets tricky as I assume there would be some kind of analog to digital conversion required.

Ultimately it would be nice to be able to answer the door from my phone, but honestly that amount of effort I might as well just buy a Ring or that new Xiaomi jobbie.
Yes for the ability to answer from your phone, one of those options might be better.
The Digittech, if I'm not wrong, shorts two wires when the door bell is rung so a bit of logic covers that easily.

The video is most likely a PAL AV signal( If you connect a monitor to that wire and neutral you should get a picture) and that is one I'm interested in manipulating.
Now the AV signal is a 1v peak to peak, so there we are fine, but it seems that the bandwidth is the issue.
Bitluni ( https://www.youtube.com/user/bitlunislab ) has done some really fancy work with video on ESP's but not (some of his stuff goes right over my head) as far as I can tell, in the way I need.

ipodmusicman

Hehe you just listened to the last episode of the Home Assistant podcast did you? My sister in law and their business swear by Hikvision. Would love to get some myself. Just not looked at their cost yet.

alqassam

Expert Member

Also need a intercom,/camera/gate opener for my gate.

Issue is gate is about 50m from the house, and no. wifi there. There is 4 core wiring running to the house already.

I could use a tp link eop device that I have lying around but not sure if it will be fine on my 3 phase power.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Hehe you just listened to the last episode of the Home Assistant podcast did you? My sister in law and their business swear by Hikvision. Would love to get some myself. Just not looked at their cost yet.
Nope.. Replacement camera just arrived, wanted to do this last year already, before previous camera died.

Not impressed with new camera though, so thinking of just spending money on known quality, verses repeatedly on unknown stuff.

ipodmusicman

Nope.. Replacement camera just arrived, wanted to do this last year already, before previous camera died.

Not impressed with new camera though, so thinking of just spending money on known quality, verses repeatedly on unknown stuff.
Ah on the latest episode they had a guest who developed the Tensorflow and streaming components and he has Hkvision cameras - fluke I guess. Hehe

Quite frustrating when you’ve spent the money and it doesn’t work out. :(