Home Automation - Smartkit

Tinuva

The Magician
For those of you have automated the turn on/off of the panel heaters in a baby room.
What temperatures have you used to turn it on and off?

Currently have mine set up to turn on below 19 degrees and turn off above 22 degrees. (so 22.01 = turn off, 18.99 = turn on)
It works, just not sure what the optimal settings for babies are.

The setup is very simple, have 2 things:
1. Xiaomi MIJIA Aqara Temperature & Humidity Sensor that is connected to Openhab
2. Sonoff RF1 connected to MQTT

The automation is done with Nodered, which literally check the current switch state, and then whenever the temperature change, it runs through a simple function that then decide if it should issue a on or off to mqtt to the Sonoff.

Last edited:

5lic3

@Tinuva - I've setup our heater panel to turn on below 20 degrees and turn off at 23 degrees. Works well but just a side note *place the sensor about the same height the baby is sleeping. If its placed lower the temperature tends to get a bit too high and baby starts to sweat.*

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
For those of you have automated the turn on/off of the panel heaters in a baby room.
What temperatures have you used to turn it on and off?

Currently have mine set up to turn on below 19 degrees and turn off above 22 degrees. (so 22.01 = turn off, 18.99 = turn on)
It works, just not sure what the optimal settings for babies are.

The setup is very simple, have 2 things:
1. Xiaomi MIJIA Aqara Temperature & Humidity Sensor that is connected to Openhab
2. Sonoff RF1 connected to MQTT

The automation is done with Nodered, which literally check the current switch state, and then whenever the temperature change, it runs through a simple function that then decide if it should issue a on or off to mqtt to the Sonoff.
18 degrees for me with a 1 degree tolerance.

Tinuva

The Magician
@Tinuva - I've setup our heater panel to turn on below 20 degrees and turn off at 23 degrees. Works well but just a side note *place the sensor about the same height the baby is sleeping. If its placed lower the temperature tends to get a bit too high and baby starts to sweat.*
Many thanks. Sensor is slightly higher than the level she is in the kot.

ipodmusicman

I would seriously consider paying for HA Cloud and using the remote access -- just so much easier.
I agree! And I find so much comfort that Paulus and Pascal can be paid from the proceeds of our monthly fee for HA Cloud. Just puts this project on another level. Love it!

SAguy

Expert Member
I'm busy doing a mini thesis and presentation; I'm thinking of doing it on automation and it's benefits to organisations, still working on my exact angle though.

What I am keen to do though is do a demo of something just to give my audience something visual to help demonstrate automation.

I have cameras at home, and use home assistant - anyone have any cool ideas for something that would make a cool demo to see in action? Putting a camera in front of a desk lamp and turning that on/off from the lecture theater seems a bit like a downer.

p.s. I contribute on this thread, so don't feel guilty asking... not one bit :sneaky:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Buy a robot vacuum and send it cleaning - some have camera's you can connect to :p

alqassam

Expert Member
I'm busy doing a mini thesis and presentation; I'm thinking of doing it on automation and it's benefits to organisations, still working on my exact angle though.

What I am keen to do though is do a demo of something just to give my audience something visual to help demonstrate automation.

I have cameras at home, and use home assistant - anyone have any cool ideas for something that would make a cool demo to see in action? Putting a camera in front of a desk lamp and turning that on/off from the lecture theater seems a bit like a downer.

p.s. I contribute on this thread, so don't feel guilty asking... not one bit :sneaky:
I would do something with a routine.

Good morning Alexa.

Alarm switches off
Outside lights switch off
Coffee machine starts.
Shower pre warms up for your shower in 10 minutes.
News and weather displayed.
Curtains open?

SAguy

Expert Member
I would do something with a routine.

Good morning Alexa.

Alarm switches off
Outside lights switch off
Coffee machine starts.
Shower pre warms up for your shower in 10 minutes.
News and weather displayed.
Curtains open?
That's cool, didn't think of a routine.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

patrick123

Expert Member
Any possibility of monitoring flow/no flow (actual flow rate not required) with Sonoff SV and stock firmware?
Unfortunately I doubt it. The closest one might get is to use a DS2423 counter and since it has the "1-wire" protocol, it could possibly plug into the TH10 unit reporting the flow as a temperature.
To interface it would be more hassle than what it is worth.

alqassam

Expert Member
Unfortunately I doubt it. The closest one might get is to use a DS2423 counter and since it has the "1-wire" protocol, it could possibly plug into the TH10 unit reporting the flow as a temperature.
To interface it would be more hassle than what it is worth.
Can't you just measure flow and if it less than 0.01 it should give a notification?

riscbroker

Expert Member
Can't you just measure flow and if it less than 0.01 it should give a notification?
I'll get a sensor and play with it. I was hoping to use the SV but I'll test with a TH10 to see what happens. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to notify on flow/no flow.

alqassam

Expert Member
I'll get a sensor and play with it. I was hoping to use the SV but I'll test with a TH10 to see what happens. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to notify on flow/no flow.
We did it old school with a float switch connected to a green and red light.