The end of my wireless pain and trauma.
![]()
Is there any difference between mounting them like that, or in the actual ceiling?
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
The end of my wireless pain and trauma.
![]()
Is the older POW or the R2?
Is there any difference between mounting them like that, or in the actual ceiling?
Isnt the benefit of having them in the ceiling is that there are usually no walls in the ceiling, so the signal has to travel through a thin ceiling board, actually giving a stonger a signal?While I haven't tested it in the ceiling I did have it in a cupboard virtually at the same location and I did notice at least a one bar difference to the furthest reaches of the house.
If you use a few and place them reasonably I see no reason why they wouldn't work in the ceiling.
They also let you remote reset them using the PoE Injector so you don't necessarily have to go find them in the ceiling but there is always that risk.
I've never needed to touch one again after an install though.
If you become really keen let me know as I can hook you up for a reasonable price since you are in Cape Town.
Isnt the benefit of having them in the ceiling is that there are usually no walls in the ceiling, so the signal has to travel through a thin ceiling board, actually giving a stonger a signal?
I have no experience with this, but just what makes sense to me with regards to a ceiling instalation
If you become really keen let me know as I can hook you up for a reasonable price since you are in Cape Town.

Thanks.
My problem is the walls, so I don't think above or below the ceiling board would make a difference.
The red is a floor to above roofing double brick walls. I was thinking of putting one at each blue circle in the hopes of covering the entire house. I currently have "random" routers at each of the green points - which provides "ok" coverage, but its three separate wifi networks all connected over Ethernet - I'd like to get rid of them as the routing in the house isn't great, and wifi is also a pain for anything slightly intensive.
View attachment 660556
If the green jobbies worked now then it should happily work in those locations.
Assuming you run Ethernet to them and wire them up which is of course the easiest with power as well due to the PoE.
My setup was not unlike yours.
My signal is solid but not full in the right side of the house so I would ultimately down the line install another unit there.

moar pics of significant other plsMy setup. The blue dot (where I'm sitting at the moment) is the existing TP Link router. Red blocks are where I struggle with decent connectivity - mostly due to the number of walls in between (5 between the blue and green dot). So my plan is to put a Ubiquity down where the existing TP Link router is (blue dot), and then another where the green dot is.
Outside is useful because I have Sonoff switches switching on outside lights and my gate motor.
Only pain is that there's a firewall (physical one) in the roof -- shown with the black line. So I would have to pull an ethernet cable through, then lift tiles to get into the roof where the green dot is
View attachment 660778
My setup. The blue dot (where I'm sitting at the moment) is the existing TP Link router. Red blocks are where I struggle with decent connectivity - mostly due to the number of walls in between (5 between the blue and green dot). So my plan is to put a Ubiquity down where the existing TP Link router is (blue dot), and then another where the green dot is.
Outside is useful because I have Sonoff switches switching on outside lights and my gate motor.
Only pain is that there's a firewall (physical one) in the roof -- shown with the black line. So I would have to pull an ethernet cable through, then lift tiles to get into the roof where the green dot is
View attachment 660778
moar pics of significant other pls![]()
Yeah your house is similarly shaped to mine where the extreme corners are a little problematic.
In your case with the bottom zone you'll probably have a bit of trouble so best bet would just be to get two units from the word go and park then near the thw "axis" of the roof either side of the U.
I like how you have also gone for the LR after initially saying its not really needed over the Lite
But I can see why you decided to go with the LR. Its more than just the range. Those extra antennas are awesome.
Quick question, is it possible to have more than one wifi network with the LR? e.g. one for "normal" household usage, and a guest network?
Yes absolutely.
You can even have a hotspot with vouchers to charge people for guest access.
However you must have the controller running 24/7 in that use case as I recall.
Think with the normal Guest access it’s a normal SSID just segregated.
Yes absolutely.
You can even have a hotspot with vouchers to charge people for guest access.
However you must have the controller running 24/7 in that use case as I recall.
Think with the normal Guest access it’s a normal SSID just segregated.
And a login pageYeah, I have 2 SSID's at home...
1 is my network, which has unfettered and unlimited access and speed...
the other is the guest network, which can only access the internet and its rate limited as well.
