Home Automation - Smartkit

Anyone managed to open their garage with either a remote or PI?
Need a way to alternate between both in case internet is down
 
Anyone managed to open their garage with either a remote or PI?
Need a way to alternate between both in case internet is down

You can connect multiple triggers in parallel on most actuators... so if any of them is triggered it opens/closes.
 
Anyone managed to open their garage with either a remote or PI?
Need a way to alternate between both in case internet is down

I would say consider the Sonoff SV - you'd still need the RF though and I'm not sure if the RF module can be added to this board.
 
If anyone is interested, we're placing a PO with Sonoff on Monday.

Any special items, etc. - let us know before then.
 
Thanks. Can these coexist with the RDS tx-sms GSM module?
Where would I get one, and how much, and how hard to get going?

yeah definitely. The DSC (and probably most alarms) have what they call a "keybus" which consist of 4 wires. Your keypad for example, will be one of the items connected to this keybus. The envisalink or it-100 modules also connect to these same 4 wires. Imagine connecting 4 lights in parallel to a battery. Each light has its own connection to the battery, and if the 1 light fail, the other 3 are still on.

Very easy DIY once you figure out, each of the 4 cables just connect to the connector with the same label on the other side.

Locally you can use:
http://www.alarmtec.co.za/dsc-alarm/envisalink-evl-p-1920.html
https://www.zinteldo.co.za/product/envisalink-4-dsc-compatible-interface-module/

I bought the DSC-100 for R1500 from zasmarthomes.co.za who seems to be dead now back in the day.
 
yeah definitely. The DSC (and probably most alarms) have what they call a "keybus" which consist of 4 wires. Your keypad for example, will be one of the items connected to this keybus. The envisalink or it-100 modules also connect to these same 4 wires. Imagine connecting 4 lights in parallel to a battery. Each light has its own connection to the battery, and if the 1 light fail, the other 3 are still on.

Very easy DIY once you figure out, each of the 4 cables just connect to the connector with the same label on the other side.

Locally you can use:
http://www.alarmtec.co.za/dsc-alarm/envisalink-evl-p-1920.html
https://www.zinteldo.co.za/product/envisalink-4-dsc-compatible-interface-module/

I bought the DSC-100 for R1500 from zasmarthomes.co.za who seems to be dead now back in the day.

Sweet, thanks! So can you have a keypad AND one of these modules on the bus? do you need y connectors? or does it have in/out connections?
/edit eish, R3250... madness
 
Last edited:
Sweet, thanks! So can you have a keypad AND one of these modules on the bus? do you need y connectors? or does it have in/out connections?

yeah you can have both. No need for connectors, just buy long enough cable that you use for sensors ect on the alarm. Unscrew the ports where current cables go in, add this in, screw back on and make sure all cables make contact.

* for obvious reasons you do this while alarm power is off and battery unplugged.
 
yeah you can have both. No need for connectors, just buy long enough cable that you use for sensors ect on the alarm. Unscrew the ports where current cables go in, add this in, screw back on and make sure all cables make contact.

* for obvious reasons you do this while alarm power is off and battery unplugged.

They're a bit more reasonable on ebay :D

EyezOn Envisalink EVL-4 IP Interface Module
Item price ZAR 1,281.74

Plus about 650 shipping + duties/vat... under R2k landed.
 
Which is more worth figuring out? openHAB or HomeAssistant?
 
https://nodered.org/ looks very interesting as well.

I guess at the end of the day, pick one and go with it.

What I do think though, is if you can have most of your systems connect into MQTT, then its easier to swap between the different frameworks.
 
https://nodered.org/ looks very interesting as well.

I guess at the end of the day, pick one and go with it.

What I do think though, is if you can have most of your systems connect into MQTT, then its easier to swap between the different frameworks.

Yeah I'm less concerned about the transport. The sonoff stuff will be MQTT, and both openhab and homeassistant support denon, harmony, DSC alarms...
So I guess I'm asking which has the steeper learning curve and which has better functionality... ?
 
HASS is easier than openHAB, but less versatile. Depends is HASS is enough for your needs?

lol i don't even know what my needs are at the moment

I'm just browsing the hass modules with my jaw hanging open right now :D

I mean.. sheesh. The stuff people come up with. Just... wow. Presence detection based on a particular wifi client being present on my Unifi access points, by polling the controller...
 
lol i don't even know what my needs are at the moment

I'm just browsing the hass modules with my jaw hanging open right now :D

I mean.. sheesh. The stuff people come up with. Just... wow. Presence detection based on a particular wifi client being present on my Unifi access points, by polling the controller...

Well then, go with HASS and if you outgrow it move on to openHAB.
 
I’d be interested in the tablet idea as well actually...

Also very intrigued as to what major tech are bringing to the table
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X