Home Automation - Smartkit

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
So next question, the gate motor is a centurion D2, anyone know if there is a way to read the open/close state of this gate, or do I need a sensor?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So next question, the gate motor is a centurion D2, anyone know if there is a way to read the open/close state of this gate, or do I need a sensor?
I have a door contact on mine, but you could also use an opto-isolator and the status light.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Is there a legal requirement to have a wall switch for a ceiling fan?

@Steamy Tom
to be honest I am not 100% sure.

i can only find this though (a luminaire is a light fitting - a standard ceiling fan would qualify also):

Where a fan or heater is included in a luminaire, the luminaire is regarded as a fixed appliance. If the luminaire circuit is protected by an earth leakage protection device that has a rated earth leakage tripping current (rated residual current) IΔn not exceeding 30 mA, a disconnector is not required (see 6.9.3.1).

SAguy

Expert Member
Out of interest, it's pretty cool knowing that I can use a sonoff mini with the sherlo remote receivers that I have for my gate and alarm.

Busy running some boundary lights and this lets me either use my sherlo remote (if I'm driving home in the dark at night, or letting guests out at night) - or I can use home assistant (and later google home) to toggle the lights.

Tying older tactile tech and newer smart devices together is important to me, so this worked out quite nicely when I put together a little test rig yesterday.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Out of interest, it's pretty cool knowing that I can use a sonoff mini with the sherlo remote receivers that I have for my gate and alarm.

Busy running some boundary lights and this lets me either use my sherlo remote (if I'm driving home in the dark at night, or letting guests out at night) - or I can use home assistant (and later google home) to toggle the lights.

Tying older tactile tech and newer smart devices together is important to me, so this worked out quite nicely when I put together a little test rig yesterday.
im pretty sure you could do it with a basic also, 1/3 of the price. Now what you do is put a door contact on your front door, and setup that if the front door is open between certain hours it turns on and if your phone location is approaching home it turns on also...

SAguy

Expert Member
im pretty sure you could do it with a basic also, 1/3 of the price. Now what you do is put a door contact on your front door, and setup that if the front door is open between certain hours it turns on and if your phone location is approaching home it turns on also...
If I did it with a basic I would need to do some soldering I assume? Have seen a few people say that the basic can be used the same as a mini with some extra soldering of pins.

Yeah, those are all pretty cool ideas. Need to find the time to rebuild my home assistant though, screwed it up a while ago and haven't gotten around to rebuilding it.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
If I did it with a basic I would need to do some soldering I assume? Have seen a few people say that the basic can be used the same as a mini with some extra soldering of pins.

Yeah, those are all pretty cool ideas. Need to find the time to rebuild my home assistant though, screwed it up a while ago and haven't gotten around to rebuilding it.
you could get away without soldering, but it is better if you did. it is pretty simple

SAguy

Expert Member
@SmartKit I bought a Sonoff RF that you guys flashed to Tasmota for me, this was in July of 2018 and I'm only opening the box now sadly.

I remember you guys used to setup default wifi username and passwords that I would then have to setup on my phone as an AP and configure from there... is that how it should be done, if so, any idea what those details would have been?

InusB

@SmartKit I bought a Sonoff RF that you guys flashed to Tasmota for me, this was in July of 2018 and I'm only opening the box now sadly.

I remember you guys used to setup default wifi username and passwords that I would then have to setup on my phone as an AP and configure from there... is that how it should be done, if so, any idea what those details would have been?
Instructions still on the site Smartkit

SAguy

Expert Member
Instructions still on the site Smartkit
Not coming right sadly, I get a steady flashing light.

Have tried:
Create a WiFi hotspot on your smart device with the SSID “smartkit” and password “password” (no quotes); find the device IP; enter the IP in the smart device browser; change your WiFi settings
Don't get any connections to the AP on my phone

Start Wifi smartconfig, with 3 short presses, allowing for SSID and Password configuration using an Android mobile phone with the ESP8266 SmartConfig app. The LED will blink during the config period. A single button press during this period will abort and restart sonoff.
Not exactly sure how this app works, the opening screen on this app says SSIS: <unknown ssis> and asks me for a password, not sure what password it's asking for?

Put the device in WiFi manager mode with 4 short presses – you should then see an SSID of Sonoff-xxxx; connect to Sonoff-xxxx; enter 192.168.4.1 in your browser; change your WiFi settings
Did 4 quick presses a few times, don't see this SSID at all from my phone or laptop.

Start Wifi Protected Setup (WPS), with 5 short presses, allowing for SSID and Password configuration using the router’s WPS button or webpage. The LED will blink during the config period. A single button press during this period will abort and restart sonoff.
I don't have a WPS enabled router

Also, through all of this the LED has blinked a steady every second or so blink. No button pushing has changed the blinking of the light. Pushing the button does however turn the relay on/off.
So while I'm busy trying to get to the required number of button pushes the relay will go off/on a few times.

There's also a jumper that came with it, should that be in?

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Not coming right sadly, I get a steady flashing light.

Have tried:

Don't get any connections to the AP on my phone

Not exactly sure how this app works, the opening screen on this app says SSIS: <unknown ssis> and asks me for a password, not sure what password it's asking for?

Did 4 quick presses a few times, don't see this SSID at all from my phone or laptop.

I don't have a WPS enabled router

Also, through all of this the LED has blinked a steady every second or so blink. No button pushing has changed the blinking of the light. Pushing the button does however turn the relay on/off.
So while I'm busy trying to get to the required number of button pushes the relay will go off/on a few times.

There's also a jumper that came with it, should that be in?
On the newer ones set the device to use WiFi manager by default rather than username and password.

There was also a period where the Tasmota firmware was buggy.

SAguy

Expert Member
On the newer ones set the device to use WiFi manager by default rather than username and password.

Yeah, no luck - no matter what I do.
Should have checked it when I go the device :rolleyes:

SAguy

Expert Member

Should the LED blinking rate change at any point? Once I switch it on it just stays blinking every second or two.

SAguy

Expert Member
Sorry I can't help now. Sure it's flashed?
It seems it may not be.
Held the button for 5s and it gives the 2 quick and one slower flash like it's in pairing mode. Tried adding on the eWelink app but no luck, tells me it couldn't find any devices.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
With Tasmota - there's an upgrade path - most of my devices are on v5. Can you go through the minimal versions until v8.2, or do you need to go minimal -> normal -> minimal -> normal, etc.