Home Automation - Smartkit

feo

Honorary Master
Still shouldn’t be hard to do without soldering if you have a few good wires.

And as said earlier some prestik can help, but I’ve never needed that.

I'm gonna pick up some male to male jumper wires tomorrow while I'm at it. No soldering though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm gonna pick up some male to male jumper wires tomorrow while I'm at it. No soldering though.

Yup exactly what I use.

And make sure to set it to 3.3v instead of 5v.

Tasmotizer makes the software dead easy these days.

feo

Honorary Master
Yup exactly what I use.

And make sure to set it to 3.3v instead of 5v.

Tasmotizer makes the software dead easy these days.

I literally have never even heard of an FTDI adaptor before Sonoff and Tasmo. How do I set the input voltage?

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
I literally have never even heard of an FTDI adaptor before Sonoff and Tasmo. How do I set the input voltage?
Should be a jumper (or switch) on the adaptor. Generally you'll only use 3.3v.

99% of Sonoff devices can be flashed without soldering. I was being dead serious about using Prestik, if necessary.

Sequence is connect positive and negative. Ensure TX->RX and RX->TX. Ground GPIO on startup, then release (occasionally this can be done using the switch).

Happy flashing!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Should be a jumper (or switch) on the adaptor. Generally you'll only use 3.3v.

99% of Sonoff devices can be flashed without soldering. I was being dead serious about using Prestik, if necessary.

Sequence is connect positive and negative. Ensure TX->RX and RX->TX. Ground GPIO on startup, then release (occasionally this can be done using the switch).

Happy flashing!

Positive / Negative = VCC and Ground just for clarity.

You shouldn’t be connecting any mains power to it.

feo

Honorary Master
Ok feedback, I was successful!

I did use prestik as faux solder, haha!

Initially, it didn't work and I was getting sad. Because there was no soldering, it was a bit tough to make sure all the pins were making contact properly and also to ground GPIO0.

The issue was that no device was ever showing up in Tasmotizer.

Eventually tried the laptop and it worked.

So for anyone wanting to do it, it's not difficult but if you're going the solderless route, try to make sure all pins are making contact on the solder pads, especially when grounding GPIO.

Thanks for all the tips all!!

PS. The Tasmota discord is great too!

alqassam

Expert Member
TV room is setup as a group and individual so I can control individual lights and brightness for movie watching.

It's also in the order of ceiling layout.
42c6fa90f5023be6a5433f609ed89e69.jpg
44684d946484bb719939883c4c628860.jpg
54be6b745203d8cbb1aa87433e1ca90a.jpg
9f85b79f7c3b0a55b655df66ea60e847.jpg

Reactions: feo

alqassam

Expert Member
DAB are

I wonder if it's worth getting in touch with dab for the specs of their interface into d.connect (not sure if this works on a mini, but it does on my e.sybox)... would be quite simple to code an arduino to translate that into something meaningful for a HA system...
Anyone Integrared the e.sybox. installing some into the property soon and would love to bring into HASS.

So d.connect has an app that gives control and stats. The d.connext box seems to connect to the e.sybox via Bluetooth or NFC .

emeyedeejay

Code:
      - card:
          entities:
            - sensor.loadshedding
            - sensor.next_load_shedding_slot
            - sensor.next_load_shedding_slot_timestamp
          type: entities
        conditions:
          - entity: sensor.loadshedding
            state_not: "Stage 0"
        type: conditional
And a year later ... :)

I'm curious as to the config for the next load shedding slot and the countdown, if you still have this around... please.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
And a year later ... :)

I'm curious as to the config for the next load shedding slot and the countdown, if you still have this around... please.
Still running the same code, using a Google Calendar with my area's load shedding slots. (one calender per stage)

Code:
  next_load_shedding_slot:
      friendly_name: "Next Load Shedding Slot"
      #device_class: timestamp
      value_template: "{% if is_state('sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage', '1')  %}
                  {{ state_attr('calendar.load_shedding_stage_1','start_time') }}
                {% elif is_state('sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage', '2')  %}
                  {{ state_attr('calendar.load_shedding_stage_2','start_time') }}
                {% elif is_state('sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage', '3')  %}
                  {{ state_attr('calendar.load_shedding_stage_3','start_time') }}
                {% elif is_state('sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage', '4')  %}
                  {{ state_attr('calendar.load_shedding_stage_4','start_time') }}
                {% else %}
                  2099-01-01 00:00:00
                {% endif %}"
    next_load_shedding_slot_timestamp:
      friendly_name: "Next Load Shedding Countdown"
      device_class: timestamp
                {% else %}
                {% endif %}"

emeyedeejay

Still running the same code, using a Google Calendar with my area's load shedding slots. (one calender per stage)

Code:
  next_load_shedding_slot:
      friendly_name: "Next Load Shedding Slot"
      #device_class: timestamp
                {% else %}
                {% endif %}"
    next_load_shedding_slot_timestamp:
      friendly_name: "Next Load Shedding Countdown"
      device_class: timestamp
                {% else %}
                {% endif %}"
Beuuuudaful.... thanks! Dare I ask what area/zone? If it's Cape Town and area 11 ... can I have a copy, please :D.

And then you do a conditional on the value of the Loadshedding status? Do you have that code? YEah - I'm being lazy but copy paste exists for a reason!

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Beuuuudaful.... thanks! Dare I ask what area/zone? If it's Cape Town and area 11 ... can I have a copy, please :D.

And then you do a conditional on the value of the Loadshedding status? Do you have that code? YEah - I'm being lazy but copy paste exists for a reason!
Unfortunately not - power directly from Eskom - in Blouberg area.

Not sure I get the second part of your post?

I basically use the above variables to trigger automation, e.g.
Code:
- alias: Telegram - Load shedding warning
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: template
    value_template: "{{ (((as_timestamp(states.sensor.next_load_shedding_slot.state)) - (60*60)) | timestamp_local) == ((states.sensor.date.state + ' ' + states.sensor.time.state + ':00') | timestamp_local)  }}"
  action:
    - service: notify.telegram_HomeSecurity
      data_template:
        message: "\U0001F526 Load shedding warning, the power is turning off at {{ ((as_timestamp(states.sensor.next_load_shedding_slot.state)) | timestamp_custom('%H:%M:%S') ) }} \U0001F526" 
- alias: Telegram - Load shedding started
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage
  action:
      data_template:
        message: "\U0001F621 Load shedding announced, {{ states.sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage.state }}, next power outage at {{ ((as_timestamp(states.sensor.next_load_shedding_slot.state)) | timestamp_local ) }} \U0001F621" 
- alias: Telegram - Load shedding cancelled
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.eskom_loadshedding_stage
      to: '0'
  action:
      data_template:

I used to kick off shutdown events - but found it unreliable, so now use bash scripts with the UPS software.

emeyedeejay

Thanks!

Yeah - I fluffed the second part.

I was referring to this:

Conditional card displays only when there is loadshedding

From your post a year ago but I see it now ... it's this, right?
Code:
conditions:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Thanks!

Yeah - I fluffed the second part.

I was referring to this:

Conditional card displays only when there is loadshedding

From your post a year ago but I see it now ... it's this, right?
Code:
conditions:
Oh - right - yes, that's how I have it.

Neville

I've got a Sonoff doorbell and RF bridge. All linked up on the ewelink app. Press the doorbell, it lights up red but that's it. Nothing else happens. Isn't the ewelink supposed to notify me that the doorbell was pressed? What am I missing?

I've got other Sonoff swithces and a light linked up through the ewelink app and it talks to Alexa. So I can tell Alexa to trigger those switches or lights. How would I get the doorbell to connect to Alexa? The RF bridge shows up in Alexa under the devices but not the doorbell... any ideas?

Last edited:

riscbroker

Expert Member
I've got a Sonoff doorbell and RF bridge. All linked up on the ewelink app. Press the doorbell, it lights up red but that's it. Nothing else happens. Isn't the ewelink supposed to notify me that the doorbell was pressed? What am I missing?

I've got other Sonoff swithces and a light linked up through the ewelink app and it talks to Alexa. So I can tell Alexa to trigger those switches or lights. How would I get the doorbell to connect to Alexa? The RF bridge shows up in Alexa under the dives but not the doorbell... any ideas?
You can try this - RF Remote name is the name you gave your RF bridge and button name is the name you gave your bellpush:

Works With Amazon Alexa​

To control Sonoff RF Bridge, you’ll need to say RF Remote name and button name together.

Standard voice control commands phrases (if you just say the RF Remote name, Alexa will turn on/off all buttons of that RF Remote immediately):

Alexa, turn on {RF Remote Name}
Alexa, turn off {RF Remote Name}

Alexa, turn on {RF Remote Name} {ButtonName}
Alexa, turn off {RF Remote Name} {ButtonName}

Edit: also check your notification settings within eWeLink

Last edited:

Neville

You can try this - RF Remote name is the name you gave your RF bridge and button name is the name you gave your bellpush:

Works With Amazon Alexa​

To control Sonoff RF Bridge, you’ll need to say RF Remote name and button name together.

Standard voice control commands phrases (if you just say the RF Remote name, Alexa will turn on/off all buttons of that RF Remote immediately):

Alexa, turn on {RF Remote Name}
Alexa, turn off {RF Remote Name}

Alexa, turn on {RF Remote Name} {ButtonName}
Alexa, turn off {RF Remote Name} {ButtonName}

Edit: also check your notification settings within eWeLink
Thanks, I saw those commands but not really applicable to a doorbell - when is a doorbell on or off?
And I don't want to control the doorbell button from Alexa, not sure why one would do that. I want the doorbell to ring via Alexa, so the other way around. I was hoping to achieve this using eWeLink Routines (e.g. "When eWeLink doorbell rings, notify via Echo Dot) but for some reason the doorbell does not show up there under the devices. Weird...

All notifications are already enabled for eWeLink.

Does anyone know if the Sonoff doorbell button's LED lights up in different colours? E.g. mine is always red - is that like an error or is that just its colour?

riscbroker

Expert Member
I think you first need to establish why you are not getting notifications from eWeLink. The bell push is probably just a momentary contact, same as a PIR perhaps. Did you set it up as as an alarm within eWeLink?

Neville

I re-linked it as an alarm and now the notifications are coming through on eWeLink..yay! Thanks!

Now to figure out why the Alexa is not seeing it under its Smart Devices section...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don’t think you would expect the device to show under Alexa for it to talk to Alexa.

It would rather see Alexa in Ewelink as a device so it can use it as a speaker basically.