Home Automation - Smartkit

Dolby

Honorary Master
On the issue of compliant products: I've asked the question before and someone gave a flippant answer regarding fires and insurance. How would an insurance company know that eg a Sonoff device is compliant?

- Is there any physical difference between one purchased locally and an imported one?
- If yes, would that still be visible after the house has burned down?

There's no physical difference .

It's the when a product is submitted to either ICASA or NRCS, the product and the importer are recorded. So the product isn't certified, but rather the combination. If you look at MikroTik there are something like 9 local distributers - and each of those 9 need to register and pay for a product to be brought in. To me, it does seem a bit of a money making scheme - but that's how it works *shrug*.

So yea, they may not be able to track where you bought your Sonoff after the house burns, but if they do track and it didn't come through the proper guys, you *may* be in trouble. It's not worth the risk to save R100.00 - as insurance will go out of the way not to pay out.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
@Saba'a got it pretty right with what you need to look for.

* Most IoT devices need a neutral - but there are more devices coming out which don't need the neutral. My place (around 20 years old) luckily does have a neutral cable, which made installs just that much easier.
* Touch switch vs Tactile switch's is subjective - but I prefer a relay behind a real switch of your choice. It's a like a touch LCD remote control versus a real remote ... I hate a touch remote :/
* Also with the above you can make any light switch smart and you're not limited. You can buy a switch to suit your décor.

I think on the brands, you'll also get a few preferences and there's no right answer - but I do prefer the Shelly stuff over most the other stuff I've used :

* It's a Bulgarian brand that despite being only a few years old, already has 3,000,000 devices in over 100 countries. It's actually one of the fastest growing IoT brands in the world right now.
* They have unmatched support through the community and the Shelly team. There must be a firmware update released every month adding features or enhancing something.
* They're open source, so out of the box they support things like Home Assistant with zero flashing or complexities.
* For the extra cost, you're getting a much better product than the Sonoff

As for the certifications, the main issue with a non-certified product is getting your CoC or - God forbid - a house burning down / killing someone. You're going to have a huge issue with your insurance if they ever find out that you were using non-compliant products.

Thanks.

Are the Shelley Switches compliant?

This is what the inside of the switch looks like.

5380048f06f914266dd1380d4e10f549.jpg

0772d34779ad87baaab7771b5c34afd0.jpg

52b8aafa505d1f572ccd0fd5008688b6.jpg

I also prefer tactile (especially for that location)

Dolby

Honorary Master
Are the Shelley Switches compliant?
The Shelly that are available locally are compliant with both ICASA/NRCS (LOA) - so that's :
  • Shelly 1
  • Shelly 1PM
  • Shelly Dimmer 2
  • Shelly 2.5
From their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/shellysouthafrica) , these are the differences between each. There are still other products that aren't available locally though / pending certs - but these are done.

1631449483969.png

Dolby

Honorary Master
Don't get me wrong - I ran Sonoff in my house for years and there's nothing wrong with it.

It's that the more I compared to the two, the more I preferred the Shelly. As I say, it may R100.00 more - but it's worth it to me

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Older houses the neutral and live is wired to where the light is, and only a live and earth is wired to the switch and back to the light.

Newer houses the live and neutral and earth is wired to the switch and then to the light.

I find that to be the other way round.

The older ones are the most likely to have neutrals.

Mates of mine building brand new houses had to specially get neutrals pulled in.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Well, seems I don't have a neutral wire there so I'm stuffed from a quick swap in perspective.

I'm really trying for the least pt from my perspective - hell, I'd probably chuck Philips stuff in there but I'm not in the mood to replace the existing 'flourescent style' LED.

Blech! I was hoping to just be able to do a light switch swap but seems that it's not that easy yet

Tinuva

The Magician
I find that to be the other way round.

The older ones are the most likely to have neutrals.

Mates of mine building brand new houses had to specially get neutrals pulled in.
ok well only my experience, so maybe it really just depends on the initial electrical installers, but I do know from talking to them, it only became easier to do it with neutrals later on. The older house was built in 1980s and the newer house...I guess still not new, was built late 1990s and has neutrals.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm really trying for the least pt from my perspective - hell, I'd probably chuck Philips stuff in there but I'm not in the mood to replace the existing 'flourescent style' LED.
How much is the Philips stuff going to set you back ?
What about the Dimmer 2 @ R590.00?

It's pretty flexible - it measures power, you can select the power on default, the type of button, the fade times etc There's a cool night mode that automatically sets it to a specific intensity after a certain time. For price, I'm really happy.

The only thing is that you obviously do need dimmable LED and a minimum load on the device if you use no neutral.

1631450838654.png

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
ok well only my experience, so maybe it really just depends on the initial electrical installers, but I do know from talking to them, it only became easier to do it with neutrals later on. The older house was built in 1980s and the newer house...I guess still not new, was built late 1990s and has neutrals.

Yeah my own house is <10 years old and not a neutral in sight.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Yep, my experience to date as well.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Well, seems I don't have a neutral wire there so I'm stuffed from a quick swap in perspective.

Blech! I was hoping to just be able to do a light switch swap but seems that it's not that easy yet
So won't the Shelly dimmer work?

Saba'a

Executive Member
The Shelly that are available locally are compliant with both ICASA/NRCS (LOA) - so that's :
  • Shelly 1
  • Shelly 1PM
  • Shelly Dimmer 2
  • Shelly 2.5
From their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/shellysouthafrica) , these are the differences between each. There are still other products that aren't available locally though / pending certs - but these are done.

View attachment 1146100
Can I use the dimmer for a normal light switch? Not interested in dimming per se.

Edit seems so from the product page. Pity so pricy as I'd replace all my smart switches to use tactile switches.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Can I use the dimmer for a normal light switch? Not interested in dimming per se.

Edit seems so from the product page. Pity so pricy as I'd replace all my smart switches to use tactile switches.
It's probably pricey because it does quite a bit though - does the power monitoring / no neutral / dimming function in one device. However I get what you're saying and even abroad they jumped up over night because of the ship shortage. I think think they went from 17.00 to 20.00 Euro instantly,

I have mine sitting behind this old standard R20.00 light switch from Builders ... so I can't dim from the switch (yet) until I change it to something fancier.

But I can dim if needed via :

- Amazon Alexa - 'Dim lounge to 30%'
- Schedule - 'at 6pm turn on to 80%'
- Button 1 - Single click to 20% / Double to 50% / Triple to 100% and long press for off
- Night Mode - Anytime the light is switch on from 19:00-07.00 , the brightness must default to 20%

I also like the transition mode - so I can set the time to turn on/off. It just looks elegant having a soft on / off.

1631529035809.png

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
It's probably pricey because it does quite a bit though - does the power monitoring / no neutral / dimming function in one device. However I get what you're saying and even abroad they jumped up over night because of the ship shortage. I think think they went from 17.00 to 20.00 Euro instantly,

I have mine sitting behind this old standard R20.00 light switch from Builders ... so I can't dim from the switch (yet) until I change it to something fancier.

But I can dim if needed via :

- Amazon Alexa - 'Dim lounge to 30%'
- Schedule - 'at 6pm turn on to 80%'
- Button 1 - Single click to 20% / Double to 50% / Triple to 100% and long press for off
- Night Mode - Anytime the light is switch on from 19:00-07.00 , the brightness must default to 20%

I also like the transition mode - so I can set the time to turn on/off. It just looks elegant having a soft on / off.

View attachment 1146644

Looking for a local (Caoe Town) supplier fir the Shelly Dimmer - shipping makes the item ridiculously expensive.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Hmm, so after a bit more research, it seems that I need to wait for the Shelly 1L to land here (Nology has it as available soon) - it looks the business and does not require a neutral line.

Actually, I think I'll get the dimmer in the meantime and then, when the 1L lands, I'll swap the Dimmer 2 out and install the 1L in it's place - then the Dimmer can go into my bedroom

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Going to try one of these as well

My father in law keeps forgetting to switch off the heater in the lounge - hopefully this will work to be able to a remote switch off or build a timed automation.