Home Automation - Smartkit

Impressed with the service. Ordered early this morning and delivered before 3pm.
It doesn't get better than this :p
 
Ok.. so the wires I'll be stripping don't state what is live and what is etc etc.
On the multi-meter whats the best way to check for the live circuit?
 
Ok.. so the wires I'll be stripping don't state what is live and what is etc etc.
On the multi-meter whats the best way to check for the live circuit?
Are they from a 2 pin plug?
 
Ok.. so the wires I'll be stripping don't state what is live and what is etc etc.
On the multi-meter whats the best way to check for the live circuit?

On a two-pin plug, with flex (I'm assuming), it will make little difference - you could quite easily turn the plug over and reverse the circuit.

However, if it's on a circuit (in the roof for example) the neutral should not register any voltage when connected to the earth as both have zero potential. A live to earth will register the 220v+ when connected to earth.
 
Are they from a 2 pin plug?

Was thinking about adding one to a extension cord. Got the Sonof Pow and using one in a light switch.

On a two-pin plug, with flex (I'm assuming), it will make little difference - you could quite easily turn the plug over and reverse the circuit.

However, if it's on a circuit (in the roof for example) the neutral should not register any voltage when connected to the earth as both have zero potential. A live to earth will register the 220v+ when connected to earth.

Thank, think I get what you mean. Lemme go get a fire extingisher before trying this though :o
 
This guide seems to show connecting the Sonof and getting it working with a normal light switch and still being able to control it from the HomeAssistant side. No way to do this on the normal Sonof firmware.
[video=youtube;ab472a40-co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab472a40-co[/video]
 
This guide seems to show connecting the Sonof and getting it working with a normal light switch and still being able to control it from the HomeAssistant side. No way to do this on the normal Sonof firmware.
[video=youtube;ab472a40-co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab472a40-co[/video]
Yes they talk about tasmota which is the custom firmware.
But if your normal light switch is off there is no way ha can turn it on...


Unless you do some serious rewiring and get the light switch wired to a gpio connector on the sonoff, that is.
 
Yes they talk about tasmota which is the custom firmware.
But if your normal light switch is off there is no way ha can turn it on...


Unless you do some serious rewiring and get the light switch wired to a gpio connector on the sonoff, that is.

Yeah, we were thinking about getting an electronics expert onboard to try and convert the RF remotes to light switches for use with the Sonoff RF/Slampher or Bridge.
 
I still fancy the touch switch units. It can't be that hard to pass a wire down the conduit to run a neutral if needed
 
Yes they talk about tasmota which is the custom firmware.
But if your normal light switch is off there is no way ha can turn it on...
Unless you do some serious rewiring and get the light switch wired to a gpio connector on the sonoff, that is.

True.. will research a bit. Thanks :)

Yeah, we were thinking about getting an electronics expert onboard to try and convert the RF remotes to light switches for use with the Sonoff RF/Slampher or Bridge.

Would solve a couple problems for me tbh but can work around this for the interim. I hope.
 
I still fancy the touch switch units. It can't be that hard to pass a wire down the conduit to run a neutral if needed

I’m gonna get a few of them shortly... will let you know how they go
 
I've done the same :-D.

Also have certain lights that are on depending on alarm status. Like outside lights by the bedroom are on at night, but off when the alarm is armed in sleep mode.

Google Home announcements with movement by the pool, or behind the house, etc.
And to think my father did all of this with our house alarm (which he designed and built - now runs paradox) in the 90's. Of course not wireless or anything then but if the alarm triggered, every external light would flash!! He would have loved to see what is possible now - he would probably be a few decades ahead again though.
 
Is anyone running Home Assistant in Docker on a Pi3?

How stable is it and what base OS are you using?

I'm running in docker, but not on a pi.
The docker image seems to be fine. Can't speak for docker itself on a pi though.
 
Is anyone running Home Assistant in Docker on a Pi3?

How stable is it and what base OS are you using?
Running it in a docker on a hpms Not sure what the base is, just found it in the unraid apps "store".
 
Is anyone using the Sonoff RF Bridge for anything apart from turning on or off other Sonoff devices? I have the PIR sensor and strip sensor with it, but it looks like I can only turn on or off other devices when it triggers. It doesn't even give me a notification when it triggers, just logs the date and time in the app. I thought I would be able to use it with IFTTT, but the Bridge is not listed in the app.

Is there any way to either get a notification from the trigger, or let it execute something in another app?

I also can't pair a RF remote with it.
 
Is anyone using the Sonoff RF Bridge for anything apart from turning on or off other Sonoff devices? I have the PIR sensor and strip sensor with it, but it looks like I can only turn on or off other devices when it triggers. It doesn't even give me a notification when it triggers, just logs the date and time in the app. I thought I would be able to use it with IFTTT, but the Bridge is not listed in the app.

Is there any way to either get a notification from the trigger, or let it execute something in another app?

I also can't pair a RF remote with it.

I was looking at it, but instead of using it the original way, I wanted to do this:
https://github.com/1technophile/OpenMQTTGateway --> https://github.com/1technophile/OpenMQTTGateway/wiki/Sonoff-RFB
And https://1technophile.blogspot.in/2018/02/adding-infrared-emitter-to-sonoff-rf.html
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X