Home Automation - Smartkit

why waste power when the sun does it for free? I'd rather run my pool pump then.
But its not free, solar geyser can run up to R40k, probably less for me because my usage is lower.

But lets say 250w panel is R2000, you buy 10 (R20000) then even in a bad day in winter those 10 are making 5kwh (2 hours of full sun), and thats all the hot water heated and done. Any additional power can be used elsewhere. Summer you making way too much power, run the AC's all day because why not.

Obviously this could be done far more efficiently if you looking at the house as a whole and not just a single element (water heating)
 
But its not free, solar geyser can run up to R40k, probably less for me because my usage is lower.

But lets say 250w panel is R2000, you buy 10 (R20000) then even in a bad day in winter those 10 are making 5kwh (2 hours of full sun), and thats all the hot water heated and done. Any additional power can be used elsewhere. Summer you making way too much power, run the AC's all day because why not.

Obviously this could be done far more efficiently if you looking at the house as a whole and not just a single element (water heating)

This is exactly why I would want a Powerwall setup even if I pay about the same for it on loan terms as I would for conventional power because my usage would be so different.

Would run A/C as I wanted all day and night in winter and summer and not give a damn. Unlike now where I count the kw every time I use them.

It just needs to get to that sweet spot where throwing it into my home loan breaks even with paying for power.
 
But its not free, solar geyser can run up to R40k, probably less for me because my usage is lower.

But lets say 250w panel is R2000, you buy 10 (R20000) then even in a bad day in winter those 10 are making 5kwh (2 hours of full sun), and thats all the hot water heated and done. Any additional power can be used elsewhere. Summer you making way too much power, run the AC's all day because why not.

Obviously this could be done far more efficiently if you looking at the house as a whole and not just a single element (water heating)
Don't forget to add in your inverter...
 
Or just use a 1kw element?
Not saying I'm right, but I'm saying at that high price, ROI might fall in a different direction. If direct solar heating was R5000 then for sure it's a no brainer.
assumes your inverter can handle the extra 3-4kw ;)
 
But its not free, solar geyser can run up to R40k, probably less for me because my usage is lower.

But lets say 250w panel is R2000, you buy 10 (R20000) then even in a bad day in winter those 10 are making 5kwh (2 hours of full sun), and thats all the hot water heated and done. Any additional power can be used elsewhere. Summer you making way too much power, run the AC's all day because why not.

Obviously this could be done far more efficiently if you looking at the house as a whole and not just a single element (water heating)

point taken.

I paid cash for my solar geyser in 2010. not particularly interested in the ROI. far as I'm concerned it's bought & paid for - it works for free now. which it has been doing for the last 8yrs now untouched.
 
point taken.

I paid cash for my solar geyser in 2010. not particularly interested in the ROI. far as I'm concerned it's bought & paid for - it works for free now. which it has been doing for the last 8yrs now untouched.
Yeh. Mine's paid for itself over and over. Installed it in around 2010 as well, for about 17k. Eskom gave me R9k back... those were the days.
 
Yeh. Mine's paid for itself over and over. Installed it in around 2010 as well, for about 17k. Eskom gave me R9k back... those were the days.

No longer the days. But now HA can turn on the 1kw element as soon as it sees enough excess generation or if you drop below min temperature (reguardless of incoming solar).
 
No longer the days. But now HA can turn on the 1kw element as soon as it sees enough excess generation or if you drop below min temperature (reguardless of incoming solar).

just remember back then PV was way to expensive and everyone here was complaining about the ROI. so solar geyser was the quickest cheaper alternative for most.

the way eks-corrupted is going I would suggest people start looking at PV installation. my only concern is when they see their income dwindle (again) - they will start charging you a "fee" for having PV panels or a "power generation levy" like they have done with our water to secure their income.
 
This is exactly why I would want a Powerwall setup even if I pay about the same for it on loan terms as I would for conventional power because my usage would be so different.

Would run A/C as I wanted all day and night in winter and summer and not give a damn. Unlike now where I count the kw every time I use them.

It just needs to get to that sweet spot where throwing it into my home loan breaks even with paying for power.
Well thats the thing, for me I estimate that it will cost around R100k to be very nearly off grid. I currently use R1000 a month in electricty currently. Putting an extra R100k into the bond means around R1000 less in interst every month.

So it this stage, I would rather put extra money in the bond.
 
Thanks, now I might give EWeLink a miss. Didn’t wanna fiddle with flashing it

Assuming this is the method that uses the API Key highjack it’s much more hassle than just flashing them.

Still needs the cloud and isn’t super reliable.
 
Boy but the Sonoffs are out of stock everywhere.

Probably bought some of the last Sonoff SVs from Smartkit today. PiShop, Communica, SmartKit -- nobody has the Basics at the moment!
 
Boy but the Sonoffs are out of stock everywhere.

Probably bought some of the last Sonoff SVs from Smartkit today. PiShop, Communica, SmartKit -- nobody has the Basics at the moment!

Yea I think locally you're going to battle.

Smartkit site says huge issue with stock :(
 
/ponders Google assistant home assistant integration
 
/ponders Google assistant home assistant integration


I decided to just take the plunge and pay for HA cloud. I love the software and figures the people can get $5 a month from me.

So yes, I have the Google Home integration.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X