South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
And the Gen8 is proper server stable, don't regret the move.
Mine basically idles, and its running about 20 docker containers.
View attachment 746959
SONOFF GK-200MP2-B - Wi-Fi Wireless IP Security Camera
![]()
SONOFF GK-200MP2-B – Wi-Fi Wireless IP Security Camera (Cloud Storage)
【Patrolling Without Blind Spot】Complete 360° coverage ensures each corner is visible. 【Two-Way Audio】View and communicate with your family anytime, anywhere. 【Motion Detection Alerts】An alarm notif…www.itead.cc
VM in Unraid works for me. I had the unraid server already so simple to implement.
Docker in unraid also an option but then you cant have HASS.io.
How does the Gen 10 compare?
Did some soul searching............and my soul is leaning towards a Synology NAS. My wallet is leaning towards sticking with the Pi....will have to see who wins.Fair enough, bought mine for $70 of ebay when they were getting rid of early development stock. That price you giving is expensive, I wouldnt buy at that price.
View attachment 746825
Mine has been running flawlessly for months. But yeah, there ware multiple options.Quite honestly I would rather go without Hass.io than struggle with VM’s.
The synology is amazing. Their OS is actually what makes it amazing for me. However be warned, do NOT open the web interface to the world (ie. port forward from your router). There are bots that scan the world and there are often exploits that get admin access to your synology. If you must have it open, use a vpn or behind a reverse proxy like nginx/traefik which hides the synology os signature.Did some soul searching............and my soul is leaning towards a Synology NAS. My wallet is leaning towards sticking with the Pi....will have to see who wins.
I don't know much about docker (except that their logo is a whale), but I do like the idea of splitting your configs etc from your actual application file (not sure if it's the correct term). Also looking at things like Unifi and Unifi Video, these can also be setup in docker on the Synology.
I know docker on a PC or server will do the same/maybe even more, but what's nice about the synology is redundancy on the drives and that I do not have to manage the OS. Yes, all these things are possible on a server, but I'm more interested in the automation and electronics than the IT stuff, so if the IT stuff can be managed without my effort or lack of skill........the price on the synology starts to look justified.
Thoughts?
Did some soul searching............and my soul is leaning towards a Synology NAS. My wallet is leaning towards sticking with the Pi....will have to see who wins.
I don't know much about docker (except that their logo is a whale), but I do like the idea of splitting your configs etc from your actual application file (not sure if it's the correct term). Also looking at things like Unifi and Unifi Video, these can also be setup in docker on the Synology.
I know docker on a PC or server will do the same/maybe even more, but what's nice about the synology is redundancy on the drives and that I do not have to manage the OS. Yes, all these things are possible on a server, but I'm more interested in the automation and electronics than the IT stuff, so if the IT stuff can be managed without my effort or lack of skill........the price on the synology starts to look justified.
Thoughts?
Did some soul searching............and my soul is leaning towards a Synology NAS. My wallet is leaning towards sticking with the Pi....will have to see who wins.
I don't know much about docker (except that their logo is a whale), but I do like the idea of splitting your configs etc from your actual application file (not sure if it's the correct term). Also looking at things like Unifi and Unifi Video, these can also be setup in docker on the Synology.
I know docker on a PC or server will do the same/maybe even more, but what's nice about the synology is redundancy on the drives and that I do not have to manage the OS. Yes, all these things are possible on a server, but I'm more interested in the automation and electronics than the IT stuff, so if the IT stuff can be managed without my effort or lack of skill........the price on the synology starts to look justified.
Thoughts?
How about a Pi 4? Run off a USB hdd, and you have a low power device more than capable of running HassIO, and you don't need to worry about SD cards dying on you.
VM in Unraid works for me. I had the unraid server already so simple to implement.
Docker in unraid also an option but then you cant have HASS.io.
Can’t go wrong with an HP Microserver.
Cheaper and more powerful than all these NAS drives and can happily do a better job.
I went the XPEnology route. Instead of the pricey Synology hardware, I used off-the-shelf PC components. Much cheaper. I then installed XPEnology.
If you are not familiar with it, XPEnology is a bootloader that enables you to install the official Synology OS on non-Synology hardware. OS updates come from Synology. You are running the official OS with no changes.
Takes a bit more effort to install, but it MUCH easier on your wallet.
https://xpenology.org/
What specs are the hardware?I went the XPEnology route. Instead of the pricey Synology hardware, I used off-the-shelf PC components. Much cheaper. I then installed XPEnology.
If you are not familiar with it, XPEnology is a bootloader that enables you to install the official Synology OS on non-Synology hardware. OS updates come from Synology. You are running the official OS with no changes.
Takes a bit more effort to install, but it MUCH easier on your wallet.
https://xpenology.org/
In that case Unraid seems a much better solution for very little money.
I’ve not used Xpenology specifically but I have used Synology and it seems quite lacking compared to Unraid.
Find for a super consumer, but not so great if you want to get a bit more hardcore hands on.
How is the synology leaking compared to unraid? Like what specifically is missing. I can do everything on it that I used to do on my Linux fileserver. I did have to find the synology os way in some minor cases only.In that case Unraid seems a much better solution for very little money.
I’ve not used Xpenology specifically but I have used Synology and it seems quite lacking compared to Unraid.
Find for a super consumer, but not so great if you want to get a bit more hardcore hands on.
How is the synology leaking compared to unraid? Like what specifically is missing. I can do everything on it that I used to do on my Linux fileserver. I did have to find the synology os way in some minor cases only.In that case Unraid seems a much better solution for very little money.
I’ve not used Xpenology specifically but I have used Synology and it seems quite lacking compared to Unraid.
Find for a super consumer, but not so great if you want to get a bit more hardcore hands on.
What specs are the hardware?
Nice thing about this approach is if Synology isn't working out for you, you have the hardware to go some other route.....I'll look into this a bit further.
Thanx
Quite right. Synology is great if you want to just switch on and forget about it. Unraid is much more technical and tinker-worthy (is that a word?).