Home mesh wifi

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
What is the best home mesh wifi that has antennas that are both vertical and horizontal? I believe amplfi is one and so is the deco m5?

killerbyte

Expert Member
I have setup and used the TP-Link Deco X20 and the Asus ZenWiFi AX Mini XD4.
Both triple packs work flawlessly. The Asus app is a little better in my opinion if you like a lot for detail and control over the network. The TP-Link app is streamlined and very easy to use if you are not that tech savvy.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Ubiquiti Unifi AP's are far superior to Deco. Deco is great for a simple home setup, but if you want to do anything advanced like setting up VLAN's, VPN's, etc then you're dead in the water.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Since you're throwing around the "best" word you'd need to look at Netgear orbi ax6000 too

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Does it work through a floor slab?

My experience with the Decos (and all other mesh systems) is that they work best when hardwired together. If you don't hardwire them they don't work any better than a crappy wifi extender.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
My experience with the Decos (and all other mesh systems) is that they work best when hardwired together. If you don't hardwire them they don't work any better than a crappy wifi extender.
Eina. You just has to go there. I'm gonna cry in my pineapple beer...

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
hi all

i dont want to start another thread

house is probably around 120sqm

i have a outhouse as well for a family member

what would be the best router or set up to get fibre from the lounge (front of house) to the seperate entrance ?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Eina. You just has to go there. I'm gonna cry in my pineapple beer...

The other alternative is to link the access points together with powerline adapters. Not ideal, but still better than a radio backhaul link.

Speedster

Honorary Master
hi all

i dont want to start another thread

house is probably around 120sqm

i have a outhouse as well for a family member

what would be the best router or set up to get fibre from the lounge (front of house) to the seperate entrance ?
What do you currently have?

RiaX

Executive Member
I bought the deco M5 system. I havent hard wired it yet but the system seems to be connected at all times. However my TV (samsung series 8) keeps dropping the connection on DSTV now and Youtube, thought its quite stable on Netflix.

I set it up with the app when I have the issues the Decos dont flash red they stay green and my PC which is hardwired to the router doesnt lose its connection at all.

Any advice on what I should do ? try and keep it simple I'm not that tech savy with networking and Wifi.

Think its my TV ?

FYI I connected the TV to one of the decos with a cable (not the main deco though).

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Netgear Orbi RBK20 works fantastic! 2 unit setup covers our entire property (1000m2) easily and penetrates through old thick-ass walls.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
What do you currently have?

nothing at the moment. Planning for now as i will be moving in around nov and fibre should be installed around that time so doing some homework for now
How big / small is this bank? Can you run cable in the house? Can you run cable to the outhouse?

i can probably run it under the car port through a pipe (cant recall the name of the pipe now)

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
i saw the price of lan cables though is it better to run it using a lan cable ?

and also noob here with the terminology

i assume mesh systems are basically wifi extenders

what is hardwiring ?