Home mesh wifi

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Are people happy with the Deco M5? Getting a new house, will need to mesh it a bit. Will probably need two 3-packs (outside flats and through walls).
Honestly at that point, if you are moving into a new house you own or plan to. I would just run ethernet into the roof and throughout the house and put a proper ceiling mount access points (mesh ones). Try also get a cable (in pollycop or just PVC) to the outside flats.

On budget go with Reyee, on a slightly more expensive side, go Ubiquti, for setup and forget forever aruba.

Tim_vb

Expert Member
Honestly at that point, if you are moving into a new house you own or plan to. I would just run ethernet into the roof and throughout the house and put a proper ceiling mount access points (mesh ones). Try also get a cable (in pollycop or just PVC) to the outside flats.

On budget go with Reyee, on a slightly more expensive side, go Ubiquti, for setup and forget forever aruba.
If you are going ethernet backhaul you can probably use the cheaper S4 as you wont need the fancier backhaul radios

Claymore

Executive Member

Too lazy, and there are outside buildings with no easy way to do wiring.

Roman4604

Executive Member
Suppose I'll chuck my 5c in to the pot ....

Asus ZenWifi XT8 = Orbi type performance and specs [Wi-Fi 6 & tri-radio=dedicated 2.4G fronthaul, 5G fronthaul & 5G backhaul] at half the price.

Specifically for net techie types. UI [web or App] is powerful/flexible, but complex.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Are people happy with the Deco M5? Getting a new house, will need to mesh it a bit. Will probably need two 3-packs (outside flats and through walls).
I have m4 it works not full wired speeds, but i mean I dont think need any faster wifi speeds atm. Was considering getting it wired, but 150mbps over wifi is for my needs atm

Gudnews

Expert Member
Man, I need to get one indeed. I thought the Netis extender was enough but I see how limited it is. The segment seems competitive as well thankfully, unlike the Nvidia Shield ruled TV box world where there is only one king.

StoneCold

Expert Member
I ordered myself a mesh kit as well via Evetech on Tuesday, was delivered yesterday afternoon. I wasn't too keen on spending a lot of money, but wanted to try it because I live in a fairly large house and wanted better wifi consistency, especially with Whatsapp calls.

I ended up ordering this: https://www.evetech.co.za/mercusys-halo-s12-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack/best-deal/14139.aspx

If I had spotted this thread earlier, I would've opted for the Reynee APs, as they would've also fit my bill. But overall I'm happy with my purchase, setup was easy and it didn't break the bank (latter was most important for me :D).

Must say, I can notice a HUGE difference in browsing speeds on my phone. Will test out the MiBox in the bedroom tomorrow as I hooked it up to one of the nodes via LAN cable. The set I ordered also has fairly good reviews and I can recommend it for anyone on a budget looking at getting an entry level wifi mesh kit. :)

Saba'a

Executive Member
Have the Asus Zenwifi CD6 triple pack.

Connected via backhaul.

Thinking of the XT8 two pack and just adding triple pack to it as nodes.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I have m4 it works not full wired speeds, but i mean I dont think need any faster wifi speeds atm. Was considering getting it wired, but 150mbps over wifi is for my needs atm
Its fine but the household's streaming drives need for wifi speeds.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Suppose I'll chuck my 5c in to the pot ....

Asus ZenWifi XT8 = Orbi type performance and specs [Wi-Fi 6 & tri-radio=dedicated 2.4G fronthaul, 5G fronthaul & 5G backhaul] at half the price.

Specifically for net techie types. UI [web or App] is powerful/flexible, but complex.
Any experience of the XT8 combined with older wifi 5 dual band nodes? Specifically the CD6 triple pack?

Roman4604

Executive Member
Any experience of the XT8 combined with older wifi 5 dual band nodes? Specifically the CD6 triple pack?
Nah, sorry, just have a two pack of XT8s, and they perform superbly. I'll concede the UI is incredibly complex, and its not easy to find out how to perform certain function [e.g. turn off the front-haul radios [5Ghz & 2.4 GHz] on the main node, so it performs 5Ghz wireless backhaul and wired Internet uplink only].

Packet-Kollector

I got the M5 Deco. Works absolutely perfectly, top speed even in an outbuilding.
Nice thing is that I belive the TPLink kit works with OpenWRT when you feel like you want to start fiddling.

I've got the M4s and recently flashed to OpenWRT to get a little more use out of them.
You don't get as good of a Wi-Fi experience (supposedly) because you don't get the proprietary tech and drivers from the vendor, but if you're a Linux geek its a great toy to tinker around with.