Home network setup help

kdub

I need help please! I have VERY limited knowledge on networks. I have the following setup:

In the study I have a "Routerboard" non wi-fi router supplied by Smartvillage which provides my internet connection. I have connected an oldish telkom router into that to supply wifi in the study and some further ports. From the routerboard router i have cable going to bedroom and a cable going to tv room each with its own wireless router connected on the other end so that I have the option of wired/wireless network at each point.

Each router has its own wifi details so when you move though the house with your phone for example it switches between the 3 wireless networks.

My question - Is it possible to make it so that everything is one single wireless network? And are there any suggestions as to what I can/should do to optomise the network?

Thanks

PsyWulf

Executive Member
You can set them up to use the same Wireless SSID,password and security. Which would kindof do what you're asking. But with simple routers and devices they would change routers when they cannot reach the AP currently connected to,so it won't always connect to strongest as you would expect. Enterprise class devices would offer this functionality better

psion

You can set them up to use the same Wireless SSID,password and security. Which would kindof do what you're asking. But with simple routers and devices they would change routers when they cannot reach the AP currently connected to,so it won't always connect to strongest as you would expect. Enterprise class devices would offer this functionality better
Set up the AP's with same SSID ( wifi name), same password and same channel.
It should switch fine unless your AP's are so close that the signal doesn't really drop that much.

DominionZA

Executive Member
It should switch fine unless your AP's are so close that the signal doesn't really drop that much.
All good, except different channels.
Primary on 1, then 6 and 11 for best separation.

psion

All good, except different channels.
Primary on 1, then 6 and 11 for best separation.
True but I have seen devices get confused and stays connected to the first AP it connected to. Using the same channel this doesn't seem to happen, also if your AP's are that close to cause interference you probably have them too close

DominionZA

Executive Member
True but I have seen devices get confused and stays connected to the first AP it connected to. Using the same channel this doesn't seem to happen, also if your AP's are that close to cause interference you probably have them too close
I have seen that and think it depends on the AP's.
In my case I had 2 D-Links and a Netgear. I would have to terminate wifi in my (whatever) device and re-enable it.

I while ago I changed to an Asus N66U and N55U and still 1 D-Link. No longer an issue and my devices roam with ease.

So I would suggest channel separation first, and if an issue then go same channel?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
It needs to use the same encryption as well, else it won't connect.