Hong long do cheques take before they expire?

snobee

Due to a medical aid mixup over a year ago, Pathcare reimbursed me for some money I had paid to them. I received a Standard Bank cheque. I then promptly forgot about it and only saw it today. It is just over a year old, and I am curious if it has expired? Thankfully it is not a lot of money, but I guess it can't hurt to try and see if I can get it.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Checks take a lot of heating, cooling, wear & tear, and probably a lot of being in your wallet before they expire.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Who is Hong Long? but since he does not want to answer, let me take a shot at it :D

"A cheque is valid for as long as the debt between the two parties (i.e. issuer and payee) exists. In other words, cheques don't have an expiration date. However, it's common banking practice to reject a cheque that's more than six months old to protect the payer in case the payment has already been made another way "

LOTR

The cheque won't be bankable. Get the issuer to pay you in another method

LOTR

And how will they know he didn't cash it out?
Cheque will still be outstanding in their recons. They place a stop on it to prevent it from being processed further (they proberbly have already placed a stop on it after the six months)