How can a folder be called an application?

Barrymore

Occasionally I get up in the morning and find my monitor on when it should be sleeping.
I immediately check if any applications are running in task manager.
This morning "Libraries" folder was displayed, a few weeks ago "movies" folder was displayed.
Libraries is a folder in Windows 7 which is displayed on the desktop, when opened there are "movies", "pictures" etc displayed. I never open the folder so what could possibly be the reason for this strange occurrence?

werfie

Expert Member
Maybe it shows the folder name in the place of the name of the File Explorer app?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Someone is stealing your movies at night. Next time it happens check if all your movies are still there

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Libraries are "live containers" and not actually folders.

They contain links to other folders of the media types and I'm guessing these are being updated during the night.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
If this option is enabled:

windows 10 folder options.PNG

Then folders appear as a separate process in Task Manager. In Windows 10, they appear as separate Windows Explorer instances.

windows 10 separate folder process.PNG

As others have mentioned, the Libraries process is always running, but it may appear on its own if you're interacting with desktop elements, or if it's being used in another process like an antivirus scanner.

Last edited:

Barrymore

Libraries are "live containers" and not actually folders.

They contain links to other folders of the media types and I'm guessing these are being updated during the night.
This seems to be the most feasible explanation.