• I don't

Votes: 26 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Since today is also referred to by many as "Braai Day" - what is your preferred fuel when it comes time to heat the grill? Are you a purest who believes only wood will do, or do you lean towards lumps of charcoal, briquettes, or gas?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In order of the most used in our house to least to char flesh:

gas - just so convenient.
briquettes - weber time
wood - fire pit/place cooking

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I used to be anti gasser until my 1st gas braai last weekend and I am sold. So convenient in the way you can control the temperature for the different stages of braaing. And I do not re call it tasting any different to a normal braai.

In order of how often I braai with different things is:
1) Charcoal/Briquettes because wood fires are not allowed on our stoeps in my complex
2) Wood on weekends when I am down at the dam
3) Gas when I take ownership of a Q2000 soon

SAguy

Executive Member
I used to be anti gasser until my 1st gas braai last weekend and I am sold. So convenient in the way you can control the temperature for the different stages of braaing. And I do not re call it tasting any different to a normal braai.

In order of how often I braai with different things is:
1) Charcoal/Briquettes because wood fires are not allowed on our stoeps in my complex
2) Wood on weekends when I am down at the dam
3) Gas when I take ownership of a Q2000 soon
Each have their place, gas, wood, Weber... All are great in their own way.

But how you supposed to kuier lekker around a gas bbq? You supposed to be able to stare into the flames while talking kak to your friends. It's needed for dramatic effect, slowly pushing around a log on the fire as you reminisce about the one that got away

Ghost64

Expert Member
Prefer charcoal, real charcoal. Just used to it.
Briquettes are hit and miss, every time you find a good one, it’s removed from the shelf’s and hard to find. Although there are some new ones some even with easy light up coated with some form of gun powder, they’re cool.
Wood is nice, not smoky, sekelbos adds flavour to meat. Has it’s moments.
I haven’t used gas for years, assuming it’s those cadac thing and not those fancy new American style braais. Never used one personally. But they not bad, especially with those fancy attachments that allow you to spit roast things over it.

I’m also not a braai planner type, run to the nearest store to get supplies, use whatever they have, rather than sourcing the most preferred coal or briquettes. Use a Weber mostly.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Gas if it needs to be a quick one, charcoal if it's more relaxed. Benefits of a hybrid bbq...

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Wood, in the eastern cape we have a lot of wood, and its cheap.