How does one block Facebook?

i think it'd be good to give this guy a warning. but, because i've been in the same boat, I know it won't work. some of us young people are totally addicted to the internet.

so, best thing to do, is to monitor how well he does his work, regardless of him using the internet. if he uses it constantly, but still manage to finish his work, then that shouldn't be a problem. if he doesn't finish his work, that should be cause for concern.
 
You guys would be ammuzed as to how many people can use a pc without a mouse.

So there is your simple solution. Open all programes he needs and show him how to alt+tab for the different open programmes.

He probably won't ba able to navigate without a mouse ...LMAO !
 
Problem was solved..... took the mellow advice and just told him to stop doing FaceBook in work hours.

Been 2 weeks now and so fars so good.......

:)
 
Sooooooo......... I tried to be nice....... I warned him twice now. But today allone he was on facebook for 2 hours.

2 HOURS !!!!!!! what do one do in 2 hours. I would still overlook 15min. You know..... to type a odd reply and read a message or 10. But 2 HOURS......?????

Written warnings........... here we come..

:mad: :mad: :mad:

(mors my blerrie geld man)
 
2 HOURS !!!!!!! what do one do in 2 hours. I would still overlook 15min. You know..... to type a odd reply and read a message or 10. But 2 HOURS......?????
(mors my blerrie geld man)

How did you establish that he was on there for 2 hours?
 
The program we use to do CAD drawings do a backup every 5min. So I was able to see when he was not working.

ALSO.... you can go into the Temp Internet folder and have a look at all the facebook files that was downloaded onto the PC. It give exact time and date. QED
 
The program we use to do CAD drawings do a backup every 5min. So I was able to see when he was not working.

ALSO.... you can go into the Temp Internet folder and have a look at all the facebook files that was downloaded onto the PC. It give exact time and date. QED

Ok, makes sense. Thank you.
 
Reverse

My employer has blocked us employees from using facebook and other "social abd dating" programmes. How do we get around the block?
 
My employer has blocked us employees from using facebook and other "social abd dating" programmes. How do we get around the block?

Does your employer pay you to play on facebook and visit social/dating websites?
No.
Quit whining and get back to work.
 
Some routers eg Billion 7402 and Mega 100WR allow you to insert URLs under ther security section and thus block access to the site. If all PCs go through same router then by accessing the Routers security section you can block all access to named sites/urls. This is what I did to prevent my kids from accessing youtube and facebook via the adsl. All pcs are connected via a mega 100.
 
My employer has blocked us employees from using facebook and other "social abd dating" programmes. How do we get around the block?

LOL. Try googling 'facebook proxy'. Haven't used any of them myself, but a guy at my old work did. He got pwned by the boss :( , so I hope you have better luck.
 
Some routers eg Billion 7402 and Mega 100WR allow you to insert URLs under ther security section and thus block access to the site. If all PCs go through same router then by accessing the Routers security section you can block all access to named sites/urls. This is what I did to prevent my kids from accessing youtube and facebook via the adsl. All pcs are connected via a mega 100.

No block in the world can stop Any person from entering Any site. The ONLY one that has a 99% success rate, is by disconnecting the internet completely.
(Use cellphones to connect to the internet)

The one with a 98% success rate is where you take the other site off the internet completely.
(Surf said site by using Google’s cache or using webarchive.org)

The other options with some lower success rates is:
-Visually Monitor the users of the internet connection 25/8/367.
(Use cellphones to access the internet and other sneaky ways)

-Block site via router
(This one is a joke. Google “Facebook proxy”. Load site via a proxy. etc etc There we go. Now I can even surf websites that is restricted in China or wherever!)

etc etc

And if all else fails,
-Try "Trust".
 
ID13, I hear you all I'm saying is that for the unitiated the router works, perhaps not 100% but good enough to keep kids safe!

You want to keep your kinds (age?) safe by keeping them from accessing Facebook and Youtube? :confused: :eek:

What other Dangerous sites are blocked by your router? :p
 
17 and 13, Any site that has sex, porn etc as a keyword. You have a better plan ?

I thought we were working with 7 and 3 here. :eek:

Why block a 17year old from Facebook? Youtube? You just blocking sites with those keywords in the URL? Or are you using other software to do more Serious content keyword blocking?
 
I recon a fortigate firewall will take out those proxy's one by one.
 
I have one employee who can not concentrate at work. He is hooked on facebook. How does one block it?

I have 3 PC's in my office connected to a ethernet hub. I use iburst as my SP. I would also like to block on his PC, any forums, IRC chat, skype, yahoo mes, MSN mes etc etc..... the list goes on.

Using Notepad open the file located at:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
copy and paste these two lines to the end of the file:
209.85.171.100 facebook.com
209.85.171.100 www.facebook.com
And save it.
Then any attempt to go to Facebook will lead to Google.
You may have to open “Notepad” and the folder as “administrator”
depending on your security settings..
OR
Add this line only:
0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com
and the browser shows 'Connection closed by remote server'
 
My employer has blocked us employees from using facebook and other "social abd dating" programmes. How do we get around the block?
Here's an idea:
You quit before they fire you.
Seriously, it has been blocked for a reason, many companies become unproductive when their employees surf the web all day which in turn will cost you your job and possibly future.
Bandwidth has become cheaper, but still the amount of data usage per day on a fairly large network of users doing 'Facebooking' all day long will put a dent in your boss' bank balance (esp if you are still on a capped package)
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X