How does university credit transfer work?

Marana

I want to transfer from a foreign university to UNISA with a half complete bsc computer Science degree. I want to transfer credits for passes modules to unisa. Is this possible if I didn’t finish my qualification?

MirageF1

Executive Member
Yes in theory.. check their website for further detail. It's all explained there.

I completed my B.Sc at UCT many many moons ago and when I applied a few years ago to start my Hons in Cosmology(Appl Math stream) @ UNISA I received a full credit for my 1-3 yr modules/courses so could start w/out any need to redo or catch up part of my B.Sc.

YMMV though

Marana

Yes in theory.. check their website for further detail. It's all explained there.

I completed my B.Sc at UCT many many moons ago and when I applied a few years ago to start my Hons in Cosmology(Appl Math stream) @ UNISA I received a full credit for my 1-3 yr modules/courses so could start w/out any need to redo or catch up part of my B.Sc.

YMMV though
[/QUOTE

Thanks for replying. I think you got credit because you completed the qualification. I think they only give credit to those who completed a qualification? According to their website and to HEQF

A maximum of 50% of the credits of a **completed** qualification may be granted to another qualification provided also that no more than 50% of the credits required for the other qualification are credits that have been used for a completed qualification. The purpose of the rule is to avoid the awarding of multiple qualifications for the same work undertaken (HEQSF 2013).
10.3 All credits for an incomplete qualification may be recognised by the same or a different institution as meeting part of the requirements for a different qualification, or may be recognised by a different institution as meeting part of the requirements for the same qualification (HEQSF 2013).”

Unless I’m misunderstanding this quote.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Clearly they don't always keep to the letter of the law. In my case, I would only have received 50% credit so would still have to spend another 1-2 years completing the Hons requirements.

I would assume each case is unique and needs to be investigated.
Your answer seems to be stated here:

10.3 All credits for an incomplete qualification may be recognised by the same or a different institution as meeting part of the requirements for a different qualification, or may be recognised by a different institution as meeting part of the requirements for the same qualification (HEQSF 2013).”

Best thing would be to get in touch and explain your situation.
Where did you study btw?

Marana

Clearly they don't always keep to the letter of the law. In my case, I would only have received 50% credit so would still have to spend another 1-2 years completing the Hons requirements.

I would assume each case is unique and needs to be investigated.
Your answer seems to be stated here:

Best thing would be to get in touch and explain your situation.
Where did you study btw?
Ohhh it’s *requirements* for a qualification. I was reading that as *entry* requirements for a qualification. So that basically means modules passed from an incomplete qualification should suffice, right?

MirageF1

Executive Member
Ohhh it’s *requirements* for a qualification. I was reading that as *entry* requirements for a qualification. So that basically means modules passed from an incomplete qualification should suffice, right?

Possibly, yes...."may be recognized...."

Marana

Possibly, yes...."may be recognized...."

Hi again, I have another question if that’s ok: when I register for BSc Computing, do I register for first year/first level courses? If so, what happens after I get exempted for modules I’ve already done?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Hi again, I have another question if that’s ok: when I register for BSc Computing, do I register for first year/first level courses? If so, what happens after I get exempted for modules I’ve already done?
You will have to register for everything you did not get exemption for, meaning if they only exempt 3 of the 6 courses you did you will have to register for the 3. You could be allowed to register for second year courses if you have the prerequisites from first year.

Marana

You will have to register for everything you did not get exemption for, meaning if they only exempt 3 of the 6 courses you did you will have to register for the 3. You could be allowed to register for second year courses if you have the prerequisites from first year.

Thanks for replying. I can only get exemption after the registration period. Which means I need to register first. So when I register do I register for first level courses?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks for replying. I can only get exemption after the registration period. Which means I need to register first. So when I register do I register for first level courses?
That's not how it worked where I come from, exemption and registration were part of the same process, i don't know how it works with Unisa, it sound odd.

Perhaps ask them, it looks like an anomaly to me.

Taylor Cannon

YMMV though
hi! I hope you don’t mind that I pick your brain a little? I’m in the same boat. i Need to transfer from Wits to UNISA. I haven’t yet completed my qualification. How do I go about it? Do you think they will grant me all my credits or will they stick to their 50% rule that I saw on their website? Also, I haven’t registered yet because I have absolutely no idea what to register for. What year’s modules do I register for if I expect to be credited all the way to my final year?

Taylor Cannon

YMMV though
So how much of your honours qualification did you actually have to do in comparison to how much was carried by the transfer of credits?