How Google has failed South African Android developers

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This is not a unique thing to us only, many countries don't have Merchant setups locally... and its more than likely not necessarily a Google issue but a bureaucracy issues in this country.

Stillie

Expert Member
This is not a unique thing to us only, many countries don't have Merchant setups locally... and its more than likely not necessarily a Google issue but a bureaucracy issues in this country.
How can Apple allow local devs to sell their apps then?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How can Apple allow local devs to sell their apps then?
Apple were prepared to go through the effort and Google weren't. Still doesn't make it a Google issue per se. They would have done their maths and figured out it wasn't necessarily worth the effort for them. It would possibly something that is reviewed at intervals and each time has not come up as something that is necessarily worth the work given how many developers make another plan for themselves.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Apple were prepared to go through the effort and Google weren't. Still doesn't make it a Google issue per se. They would have done their maths and figured out it wasn't necessarily worth the effort for them.
How do you read that any other way than that's a Google issue? Just because there are other factors, doesn't exclude Google from the equasion. Sometimes it doesn't have to make financial sense to invest in the long run.
IOS FTW.

Thor

Honorary Master
Do we not have a local Google Spokeperson here, from Greenpoint or was that on PW? I will go check.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How do you read that any other way than that's a Google issue? Just because there are other factors, doesn't exclude Google from the equasion. Sometimes it doesn't have to make financial sense to invest in the long run.
IOS FTW.
Very easily. Google will have a viability threshold before they will go through the hoops to enable Merchant Registration... our country doesn't meet that threshold due to bureaucracy and such.... Therefore not a Google Issue.

But even if it was a Google Issue, it would hardly be classed as Google failing SA Android developers...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Very easily. Google will have a viability threshold before they will go through the hoops to enable Merchant Registration... our country doesn't meet that threshold due to bureaucracy and such.... Therefore not a Google Issue.
You start with 'Google will have' then say 'therefore not a google issue'.
You can be sure they didn't borrow their viability threshold calculations from Apple.

But even if it was a Google Issue, it would hardly be classed as Google failing SA Android developers...
On the contrary, I think that's definitely one of the factors.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You start with 'Google will have' then say 'therefore not a google issue'.
You can be sure they didn't borrow their viability threshold calculations from Apple.

On the contrary, I think that's definitely one of the factors.
Totally fair, its just a differing opinion on this... I don't think its a Google issue and its more a bureaucracy or maybe even a regulatory issue within this country.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
I published my first paid app to the Windows store almost 5 years ago As mentioned, Apple also allow paid apps to be published in SA. This is squarely a Google problem - i.e. Google failing their developers.

Peon

Expert Member
I must agree, with Mielie. Ive launched a few apps and had to jump through a few hoops. I understand and respect the bureaucracy element but I still feel Google could have tried harder.

The way I see it is that Apple deserves notable mention for including SA in its schemes but Android has the biggest user base in SA. So ideally to launch and support apps in SA it makes perfect sense to satisfy the SA market and its developers.

Personally I wonder if Google just wipes its arse on us.

Stillie

Expert Member
Yes, like Peon said, its like google arent trying hard enough to allow devs to sell their apps. So i agree, it IS a google problem. If it was a bureaucracy then Apple wouldnt have been able to do it either, then the title would read South Africa failed its devs

Jan

Drifting in the black
Unfortunately I have to be a bit circumspect here, but I'm going to try and address some of the questions raised:

1. Google SA can't really talk about this.

2. Here is a comparison I did of smartphone ecosystems back in 2012. That's 5 years ago, for those keeping count. Literally everyone but Google and Amazon let devs charge for their apps. -- iTunes vs Google Play vs Windows Phone Marketplace vs BlackBerry in SA

Stillie

Expert Member
Unfortunately I have to be a bit circumspect here, but I'm going to try and address some of the questions raised:

1. Google SA can't really talk about this.

2. Here is a comparison I did of smartphone ecosystems back in 2012. That's 5 years ago, for those keeping count. Literally everyone but Google and Amazon let devs charge for their apps. -- iTunes vs Google Play vs Windows Phone Marketplace vs BlackBerry in SA
i think its time for an updated article like that again Jan

Swa

Honorary Master
The bureaucracy issues are in selling apps in a country and not in offering them from a country. Google does the former after HTC put pressure on them but not the latter.

Apple were prepared to go through the effort and Google weren't. Still doesn't make it a Google issue per se. They would have done their maths and figured out it wasn't necessarily worth the effort for them. It would possibly something that is reviewed at intervals and each time has not come up as something that is necessarily worth the work given how many developers make another plan for themselves.
Developers make other plans only because Google doesn't want to support it. It's more than worth the effort.

Lastmovement

Interesting read - I didn't know that -such a shame. Mybroadband should reach out to Google SA for commentary and get them to commit to date to rectify

allthatweare

Google zealot alert.

You'd think the ever benevolent Google would be ahead of Apple, the moneygrabbers, when it comes to these matters.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Google zealot alert.

You'd think the ever benevolent Google would be ahead of Apple, the moneygrabbers, when it comes to these matters.
Hardly.... I actually despise android and use an iPhone... but I would personally hardly say google has failed SA developers... the barriers to entry in this market for them do not make sense more than likely

McT

The Humble Scot!
Hardly.... I actually despise android and use an iPhone... but I would personally hardly say google has failed SA developers... the barriers to entry in this market for them do not make sense more than likely
Well acknowledged fact. South Africa hasn't made much effort to be business friendly. Hurdles, red tape and bureaucracy is evident in most industries. SMEs struggled because of it. I see it in the financial industry through the FSB and their minions.

I have no idea what the facts are for Google 'failing' local devs. Just know that as a country we should be doing everything possible to encourage business, trade and investment wherever humanly possible.