How much Adblock Plus charges for whitelisting a website

SilverCode

Software engineers have to maintain the whitelist
Why the hell are software engineers maintaining the whitelist? I'm sure they would rather be doing more useful things with their time and pass a menial job like that onto someone like a data capturer.

quax

Why the hell are software engineers maintaining the whitelist? I'm sure they would rather be doing more useful things with their time and pass a menial job like that onto someone like a data capturer.
I'm hoping that it's not just as simple as adding a site to a list. I'm thinking (or hoping) that some more investigation is involved, i.e. sniff for malware, tracking, etc that come along with the ads.

HBee

Expert Member
I hate installing an app with an express purpose, only for the app to evolve into something else a few months down the line. Often this metamorphosis is combined with increased network traffic and cpu and disk usage.

Thor

Honorary Master
Adblocker who use to say is free and ask for donations and stuff with the picture of the nerd guy and his wife.

Looks like they lied and pockiting millions

element1

+1, still would like to know an amount. Maybe MyBB can tell us how much they're paying or how much they were quoted.
Or maybe MyBB should change the headline from "How much Adblock Plus charges for whitelisting a website " to "How Adblock Plus charges for whitelisting a website"

cozinsky

Expert Member
In a sense, the advertisers only have themselves to blame for programmes like Adblock Plus. Remember in the 80s and 90s how they make the internet pretty unusable with their flash adds, popups, inappropriate ads etc.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
I hope those of you using uBlock are at least whitelisting your regular sites (like myBB)

This is great though, its forcing online advertising to conform to rules that should have been in place years ago.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I hope those of you using uBlock are at least whitelisting your regular sites (like myBB)

This is great though, its forcing online advertising to conform to rules that should have been in place years ago.
Fck all ads.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
I hate installing an app with an express purpose, only for the app to evolve into something else a few months down the line. Often this metamorphosis is combined with increased network traffic and cpu and disk usage.
There are alternatives, but I agree. Others have gone this route too - anyone notice how Java now wants to install junk as well?

ellyally

Expert Member
This is like an anti-virus software developer charging virus developers to be whitelisted in their anti-virus software. Either you block ads or you don't. Pick one. You're 'Adblock', not 'SomeAdsBlockedTheOthersGetThroughCauseWeTookACheque'.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is like an anti-virus software developer charging virus developers to be whitelisted in their anti-virus software. Either you block ads or you don't. Pick one. You're 'Adblock', not 'SomeAdsBlockedTheOthersGetThroughCauseWeTookACheque'.
Some of us are not against ads, some of us are against intrusive ads, and understand websites need ad revenue to continue to function. I unblock most of my regular websites manually unless they start serving intrusive ads.

It takes effort (time and money) to make sure a site serves non-intrusive reasonable ads.

ellyally

Expert Member
Some of us are not against ads, some of us are against intrusive ads, and understand websites need ad revenue to continue to function. I unblock most of my regular websites manually unless they start serving intrusive ads.

It takes effort (time and money) to make sure a site serves non-intrusive reasonable ads.
Yeah, I also don't mind a few ads, its all the intrusive crap that irritates me. And I get the time and money and they need to generate somehow, just seems to be on a slope to a mafia 'pay us or else' way of doing things, not quite 'holding legit websites to ransom', but getting there. It doesn't sit well with me that legit businesses have to pay some app developer a slice of their pie or they get no pie at all.

In a nutshell, hes figured out how to block their revenue, and now requests money in order to unblock it so they can keep doing business. Its like ransom ware, only instead of getting private users who have installed it to pay to use their pcs, business is having to pay to be unblocked. Must be some other way that benefits all.