How much fuel did you save this year?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I did the maths, out of the 220 times I went to work this year, 140 of them was on my bicycle. Since I stay only 10km from work it would have cost me R5.5k if I were to drive to work every day, thankfully I saved R3.5k.

So with high fuel prices getting even higher, budgets getting tighter, e-tolls getting tolled, I am wonder how much the rest of you managed to save this year?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I'm saving R2K per month by using the bus to get to work (105km round trip per day)

Wall

Sports Addict
My company moved closer to my home so I'm saving about R800 p/m in fuel :D

tehtorq

About 95% of my work-related travel costs. Company allowed me to switch over to remote working. I didn't do it because of travel costs/time, but its a nice save.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I would gladly spend more on fuel if it was made by orphans riding rainbow farting unicorns and all the profits went to them. Sadly what we spend on fuel goes to a corrupt government and countries with questionable human rights practises.

Tekken

Started cycling to work again. Based on my maths if I do it 3 times a week I'll save close to R8000. Now to get my wife to cycle to work :p

Messugga

Honorary Master
I did the maths, out of the 220 times I went to work this year, 140 of them was on my bicycle. Since I stay only 10km from work it would have cost me R5.5k if I were to drive to work every day, thankfully I saved R3.5k.

So with high fuel prices getting even higher, budgets getting tighter, e-tolls getting tolled, I am wonder how much the rest of you managed to save this year?
So what do you do when you're sweaty at work? I assume you shower some place first?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I would love to cycle to work but with the roadworks in our area I wouldnt last a month before being taken out by a car.
Next year Im moving within 5k's of the office so will happily cycle then.

Dom1n8tr1x

Expert Member
My savings isn't a lot, but I saved about R2000 this year by riding my motorcycle to work instead of my car.

Archer

Honorary Master
Got a motorbike halfway through the year, and probably saved around R2000 on fuel to work and back. But then spent some of that for extra's on the bike, and exploring the surrounding area :p

Tacet

Expert Member
I would love to cycle to work, but PTA CBD isn't exactly a safe place to cycle in. I'm not sure which will kill me first: a taxi or a hijacker. :crying:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Our fuel consumption is already about as low as it can humanly get. There's no way to bicycle to work as I live 45ks from my job. But our petrol use is quite low as it is so I'm not concerned about it.

grim

Expert Member
Working from home I save about R100 per day on fuel, I live 65km from the office.

Probably worked around 100 days from home so that's a saving of around R10k on fuel alone

Taking 130km x 100=13 000km of wear and tear on my car that I've saved so that's probably another R5k saving at least.

Last edited:

ele33

Expert Member
I started cycling to work too ... saving 1500 pm on petrol alone, then there's the insurance saving etc.
Luckily we have showers at work, only schlep is lugging clothing to work and back.

swsup97

I estimate that i would save between 2k and 2.5 a month just on petrol alone if i had to cycle the 25km distance to work (Sandton CBD) Over 12 months that would be a nice amount.
No public transport can get me to work quicker and by cycling during peak times would take the same amount of time as by car - nice shower and change room @ work so the only issue and major one is safety as i have tried it before and had some near misses even though i try as much as possible keeping off the road as i have a MTB. Pity there are no dedicated cycling lanes available for commuting by bicycle within the urban areas.

grok

Honorary Master
So you saved R3.5k .. how much did you pay for your bike? :D

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So what do you do when you're sweaty at work? I assume you shower some place first?
I don't race to work, my commuter pace is relaxed so that I arrive at work fresh and clean.
Unless you took the money you would have spent on fuel and put it into a separate account then you didnt save anything... you just spent less.
I easily blew more that double what I saved on upgrades (Raidon airshock, Deore brakes, Alex wheelset) but I would have spent that anyway because on weekends I take the bike off-road on races. So it is saving, but more than being a saving I am not funding a corrupt government via fuel levies.