How much radiation does your cellphone emit?

Imagine...

The Environmental Working Group has considered and analysed the radiation emissions from 1,268 cellphones. They also looked at research studies and supporting documentation from handset makers in the study. Using all this information, they've created a database of the phones tested, listing the maximum radiation each device emits.

You can read the overview at http://www.ewg.org/cellphone-radiation and the full report at http://www.ewg.org/cellphoneradiation/fullreport.

You can check the radiation level for your phone using the widget they've provided on the first link. Where they haven't tested it, they still list the information provided by the handset manufacturers.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Waste of time. Radiation is everywhere. You cannot escape it. Even if they got rid of all the radiation from electronic devices/appliances all over the world, you can't escape the radiation that we get every second from the universe. Idiots.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
The biggest problem with cellphones is that they focus the radiation on a relatively small spot on your body, which causes a slight increase in temperature in the area. This might cause problems after extended use of the phone.

Nokia gives the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) of every phone at the back of the user manual, and online at http://sar.nokia.com/sar/index.jsp.

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
If I can make a phone with zero radiation would you buy it? It wouldn't work of course, but it would be 100% safe... no radiation at all!

VanZan

Waste of time. Radiation is everywhere. You cannot escape it. Even if they got rid of all the radiation from electronic devices/appliances all over the world, you can't escape the radiation that we get every second from the universe. Idiots.

It's more complicated than that. Although it is true that 'radiation' is everywhere, there are very different types and severity of radiation and from some of them I'll stay very far away. And the distance to the source is quite critical. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are idiots.

Imagine...

While it's true there is radiation everywhere, you're not holding them all up close to your head every day ;)

The EWG themselves are quoted as saying this is not to do with proving or disproving whether cellphone radiation causes cancer, but rather about allowing consumer's access to that information to make an informed choice.

I don't think anyone's going to stop using cellphones based on any radiation research that comes out. Realistically, they're just too convenient and have become an integral part of everyday life. However, you can choose a phone based on, among other things, the amount of radiation it emits when in use. There have also been calls to regulate this, if I'm not mistaken.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Radiation is everywhere, ie, it doesn't matter where you are. It's still close to you. We get radiation from the sun and other stars. Can't escape it. Anyway, this is an old debate.