How Netflix killed DStv in SA

konfab

Honorary Master
Nope DSTV killed themselves with greed.
Not greed, but stupidity.

Had they been acting in their own interest; they would have seen Netflix coming and leveraged their market position to make sure that their customers will keep them when cord cutting hit SA. But to be fair, every boomer-run network in the US got beaten by the same game, so I don't expect DSTV to be any different.

jackshiels

Expert Member
There's a pretty strong cultural shift, too. My peers see DSTV as an overpriced behemoth for older people who remember their 6pm-start MNet boxes fondly. Why would you pay almost R1,000/m for an outdated, slow, old-fashioned product, when you could use that for a 100Mb FTTH line? I will never, ever buy DSTV, and neither will people I know.

chrisc

Executive Member
If it wasn't for sport... I hear this often

F1, football, no spectators? WTF?

overit

Dstv isn't even dead
If only they could create a new model, unlock channels at x per month. Choose 15 channels at x per month ect. Not the bundles they currently have. Or even allow sport to be seperate like they allow bars and clubs(sports clubs) to have. We only use our DSTV for all things sport and the crime channel XD

abzob

Honorary Master
Dstv isn't even dead

I watch DSTV everyday. Don’t think I’ve been on Netflix for over 2 weeks now.

Lots of people here too but the Netflix bullies scare them off.

We Love Bass

Lol I enjoy Neflix but it will take years for them to kill dstv,for example Netflix caters basically for the middle class and "educated" plus you need to be tech savvy to understand it and also understand how the internet works ect while on the other hand dstv caters even for your typically uneducated garden boy plus it broadcasts in all languages, judging from the work I do I know almost every house in the township has a decoder even the shacks,lets not get over ourselves we all hate dstv yes its crap for us content hungry people but Netflix is far from killing dstv:rolleyes::rolleyes: