How SA’s international bandwidth problem was solved

Sonic2k

Executive Member
If we have more than enough then how is it that we have so many issues with ISPs, Afrihost, to name but one is currently having "issues" again.

What is the point of this article? To make us all irritated and angry?

Sonic2k

Executive Member
They all are... its all about selling a product you know is substandard...
Despite all the grand splash about how the cables are under-utilized etc... the one thing remains present... CORPORATE GREED!

RichardG

Honorary Master
If we have more than enough then how is it that we have so many issues with ISPs, Afrihost, to name but one is currently having "issues" again.

What is the point of this article? To make us all irritated and angry?
Blame IPC cost! If IPC cost didn't exist then it would be a game changer. How is it possible for Europe / America and other countries to offer affordable internet. My mate pays $40 for 400 meg connection

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Blame IPC cost! If IPC cost didn't exist then it would be a game changer. How is it possible for Europe / America and other countries to offer affordable internet. My mate pays $40 for 400 meg connection
This is Africa... always some kind of problem...
My brother is paying that for fiber to his house... never mind, and they threw in a streaming TV service (forget the name)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
International capacity is no longer the problem... local backhaul and IPC provisioning are now the bottleneck.

EDIT: There is just one problem with all those maps, and that is the lack of redundancy around the bottom of Africa. I know there are overland links, but would like to see some other cable joining around the bottom there other than the SAFE cable.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
What I came here to say. The international bandwidth problem isn't really solved it's just masked by the local bandwidth constraints.

agel

Ja, this riled me up big time; ADSL in this country is waaaaay behind the rest of the other countries in our bracket; yeah I'll concede that there have been some improvements, but we're still very kaaak.

That "more than enough" was almost enough to make me spit flame... If we have "more than enough" then why are speeds so bad, reliability so low and prices so high? (rhetorical question but still =/)

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Ja, this riled me up big time; ADSL in this country is waaaaay behind the rest of the other countries in our bracket; yeah I'll concede that there have been some improvements, but we're still very kaaak.

That "more than enough" was almost enough to make me spit flame... If we have "more than enough" then why are speeds so bad, reliability so low and prices so high? (rhetorical question but still =/)
The local :p (because no one knows what a rhetorical questions is ;))