How to break into engineering design (power electronics, control systems, machines)

Andetroy

I've been working in mining for 6 years now, I managed to acquire a National Diploma in electrical engineering (cum laude) and I'm currently pursuing a BTech. I however do not want to work as a mine engineer, it is more maintenance management in my opinion than engineering design. Given that age is no longer on my side (I'm 25), is there any chance that I could break into the design world with a mere BTech? My strengths are power electronics, analog/digital controls and electrical machines.

Jaws677

Yes

Many electrical design engineers are Pr Tech

In fact in some cases you will find the Pr Eng running the project management side of things like schedule and budget and the technicians doing the actual designs

AndyC

I've been working in mining for 6 years now, I managed to acquire a National Diploma in electrical engineering (cum laude) and I'm currently pursuing a BTech. I however do not want to work as a mine engineer, it is more maintenance management in my opinion than engineering design. Given that age is no longer on my side (I'm 25), is there any chance that I could break into the design world with a mere BTech? My strengths are power electronics, analog/digital controls and electrical machines.
Age should never be a limiting factor guy.

I'm in my mid 30s with Electronic Engineering: Comms as an educational background, Electronic Security Systems maintenance as my main work experience with a current shift to Cyber Security Consultant as my 4 year target

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Absolutely yes! I broke into electronic design at your age. I don't do it anymore though- pay was shyte and too many douchebag bosses.