How to make pool pump smart

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Suction leak? can you point me in the right direction how to diagnose?

when your pump is running, after the cleaner stops moving, is there a lot of air (pocket of air) in the pump basket?

OCP

Expert Member
when your pump is running, after the cleaner stops moving, is there a lot of air (pocket of air) in the pump basket?
Yes :-(

nb. I have already replaced the o-ring on the pump cover + put extra glue around the joins of the pipes.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Yes :-(

nb. I have already replaced the o-ring on the pump cover + put extra glue around the joins of the pipes.

you need to check all unions on the incoming side, somewhere you have a suction leak (air pulling into the system when under pressure), it prevents you from holding a prime to keep suction up. does it happen regardless of whether you have the pool cleaner plugged in?

OCP

Expert Member
you need to check all unions on the incoming side, somewhere you have a suction leak (air pulling into the system when under pressure), it prevents you from holding a prime to keep suction up. does it happen regardless of whether you have the pool cleaner plugged in?
Ok - I got you. Yes even when pipes are disconnected. There is only 1 pipe it can be which is underground.

Looks like I will need to do some digging.

Thanks very much!

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Ok - I got you. Yes even when pipes are disconnected. There is only 1 pipe it can be which is underground.

Thanks very much!

the other thing it can be is the shaft seals i beleive (im not an expert here - i have just had to troubleshoot this issue myself before). is your motor old? has it ever been serviced or had seals and bearings replaced?

OCP

Expert Member
the other thing it can be is the shaft seals i beleive (im not an expert here - i have just had to troubleshoot this issue myself before). is your motor old? has it ever been serviced or had seals and bearings replaced?
Came with the house which we bought in 2014. Doesn't look too old but you never know - will strip the cover and remove it to have a look.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Came with the house which we bought in 2014. Doesn't look too old but you never know - will strip the cover and remove it to have a look.

Cool, it's definitely worth replacing them then, I think the parts will set you back around like R300-400 and the pump will hopefully be working great again

Reactions: OCP

Borrels

Thanks very much!
Start your digging from the weir, working back towards the pump. Often the connection of the pipe to the weir is were the leak starts due to ground shift

alqassam

Expert Member
This is what mine look look...

And also found these at the pool pump.

Only moved in here in March this year, so still picking up all the things in need of fixing as I go along.
Mine looks worse than this.

It's one of my projects to nested up soon.

milan188

Thanks for your responses. My pool pump breaker box looks very similar to the ones attached to the thread.

Basically I would like to control the ON/OFF pump switch, Pool Lights switch and Pool Heater switch. Can I use Sonoff basics for this or do I need a Smart circuit breaker?

eehellfire

Honorary Master
the black cable there is your pump. if you follow this guide it should work for you, take out the timer switch completely.

note the red/black X through the timer was just means to be a cross out, not wiring.

Essentially, the earth bar get connected to the eart on the sonoff, the earth of the pump to the other earth.
The bottom of the circuit breaker that is going to the timer now instead goes to the input side of the sonoff live. that black neutral goes to the input side N.

The brown from the pump goes to the load live. the blue from the pump goes to the other N
you should put a disclaimer on your posts. Just in case

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Thanks for your responses. My pool pump breaker box looks very similar to the ones attached to the thread.

Basically I would like to control the ON/OFF pump switch, Pool Lights switch and Pool Heater switch. Can I use Sonoff basics for this or do I need a Smart circuit breaker?

a basic is fine for the lights, whilst a basic is probably ok for the pump i would use a pow

LawrenceK

Thought I would just add to this.

On the weekend I replaced my old mechanical pool timer with a POW R2 and added a Sonoff Basic R3 for my pool light. All in all very easy. And I'm very happy with the result.

calvin-

the black cable there is your pump. if you follow this guide it should work for you, take out the timer switch completely.

note the red/black X through the timer was just means to be a cross out, not wiring.

Essentially, the earth bar get connected to the eart on the sonoff, the earth of the pump to the other earth.
The bottom of the circuit breaker that is going to the timer now instead goes to the input side of the sonoff live. that black neutral goes to the input side N.

The brown from the pump goes to the load live. the blue from the pump goes to the other N

I'm not an electrician, but, I'd leave the pump earth connected directly to the earth bus bar, and make a connection from there to the Sonoff earth.

I'd do the same with the neutral (ie just connect that existing black wire to the sonoff wire).

And I'd ask wtf Steamy Tom is doing with an earth wire into a neutral on a POW???

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I'm not an electrician, but, I'd leave the pump earth connected directly to the earth bus bar, and make a connection from there to the Sonoff earth.

I'd do the same with the neutral (ie just connect that existing black wire to the sonoff wire).

And I'd ask wtf Steamy Tom is doing with an earth wire into a neutral on a POW???

lol good spot