HP Microserver N40L - adding a new graphics card

vic777

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I've got a HP Microserver N40L which is stock standard. I wanted to add a graphics card that supports HDMI. According to the Internet, the Gigabyte NVidia GV-N210D3-1GI GeForce would work (http://www.esquire-shop.co.za/ProductDescription.aspx?id=1992453). I also wanted something that Ubuntu would not have any trouble picking up.

Anyhow, I bought the card and tried unsuccessfully to install it.

The card fit fine, it has the low profile bracket. So I installed it, checked that everything was seated properly and put the server back together. However, it won't boot. HP status light goes red, then off, and no video output from either the new graphics card or the onboard graphics card. I don't see the initial BIOS screen, nothing - no video output at all.

I know the system is not booting fully because I run a SSH daemon and SSH is not responding.

Double-checked everything, re-seated the RAM, the new card and checked that all the cables are properly plugged in.

I removed the card to see if it isn't something else, but then the server boots fine.

I don't think it's the OS not picking up the card - surely then the onboard graphics adapter would still function?

Has anyone here had experience fitting this card on the N40L? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm stumped

Species8472

Hi guys,

I've got a HP Microserver N40L which is stock standard. I wanted to add a graphics card that supports HDMI. According to the Internet, the Gigabyte NVidia GV-N210D3-1GI GeForce would work (http://www.esquire-shop.co.za/ProductDescription.aspx?id=1992453). I also wanted something that Ubuntu would not have any trouble picking up.

Anyhow, I bought the card and tried unsuccessfully to install it.

The card fit fine, it has the low profile bracket. So I installed it, checked that everything was seated properly and put the server back together. However, it won't boot. HP status light goes red, then off, and no video output from either the new graphics card or the onboard graphics card. I don't see the initial BIOS screen, nothing - no video output at all.

I know the system is not booting fully because I run a SSH daemon and SSH is not responding.

Double-checked everything, re-seated the RAM, the new card and checked that all the cables are properly plugged in.

I removed the card to see if it isn't something else, but then the server boots fine.

I don't think it's the OS not picking up the card - surely then the onboard graphics adapter would still function?

Has anyone here had experience fitting this card on the N40L? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm stumped

I have a Geforce 210 in mine and did not have a single problem. I can only imagine that either your card is faulty or maybe not compatible for some reason.

Any chance you can return the card and try another one?

vic777

Expert Member
I have a Geforce 210 in mine and did not have a single problem. I can only imagine that either your card is faulty or maybe not compatible for some reason.

Any chance you can return the card and try another one?

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that this card is compatible with the N40L.

I was also thinking faulty card. I'm sure I can try and return it. I opened that little "flap" that sits on top of the bracket screws at the back, and I can see the fan spinning on the card, so it is getting power.

Am I correct in saying the onboard graphics adapter would still work for VGA even if the extra card is fitted?

psion

Card probably faulty, on board gets disabled if an expansion video card gets detected.

ps I also use that card

Last edited: