HP Printer Warranty: When does it start?

Anakha56

Hello All,

My mom bought a new printer from Incredible Connection last week Friday I think it was. She went to activate the warranty via the online process yesterday and found that warranty has already started as of 17 Sept 2018. Today she took it back to Incredible because the way we are looking at it is that this printer has been resold as new with the warranty already activated. Incredible Connections response:

The warranty date you see from HP is the born date of the printer

To get that date to the current warranty status you need to register the printer on HP's web site and you need to upload your proof of purchase then HP will be able to put the printer into the correct warranty date.

Yes the date you see is the date the printer left the factory that's the only way HP can keep track of the printer. Effectively HP won't know when somebody will purchase this unit that's why when you purchase the the printer at a store you need to register the printer on HP's web site they will identify the printer via the serial number and once you upload your proof of purchase they will change the warranty status of the printer to the date of purchase to give you your full 1 year warranty time period.

The above are from when I messaged Incredible on FB but it is close enough to what the sales rep said. To me this seems to be a devious way to do warranties because you as a consumer would never know if the item you are buying is brand new or a demo unit repackaged.

So what is the forums thoughts on this? I do have screenshots of the conversation and as well as a screenshot of warranty status.

Venomous

Honorary Master
If I buy a printer from a supplier (I 'min IT and sell to consumers and businesses) the warranty starts the day I buy it from the distributors in midrand(or wherever) so as I don't often sell printers I don't keep them in stock to ensure the end user gets the full benefit of the warranty when they do need to buy it.

IC often procure stock from overseas and for those items they might have a different agreement with the manufacturer.

Maybe try follow the registration, then see what happens

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Yes the date you see is the date the printer left the factory that's the only way HP can keep track of the printer. Effectively HP won't know when somebody will purchase this unit that's why when you purchase the the printer at a store you need to register the printer on HP's web site they will identify the printer via the serial number and once you upload your proof of purchase they will change the warranty status of the printer to the date of purchase to give you your full 1 year warranty time period.

So what's the problem?

Nothing devious about this at all. It's how it works when buying from a retailer.

scudsucker

Executive Member
So what's the problem?

Nothing devious about this at all. It's how it works when buying from a retailer.
The retailer could make an effort to clarify this, you know, just because of this thing called "customer service"

Anakha56

It was not explained when the printer was bought only when it was queried that is the devious nature of it?

*edit* Interesting to see the responses. Live and learn.

Last edited:

scudsucker

Executive Member
@MightyQuin

Would you be OK with buying a car, with a 12 month warranty that had started 3 months before you actually took possession?

Or do you expect better customer service?

Simple yes/no answer, I reckon.

Anakha56

They took the printer back and that was when the sales rep explained how the warranty worked from HP. I should have made that clearer, sorry about that.