hth alkalinity up

milomak

Honorary Master
the packaging on this says add a bag (1kg) and retest after 24 hours

i reckon i need about 3 bags to get my alkalinity right. can i just go ahead and dump 3 bags in in one go?

what could go wrong?

saor

Honorary Master
Your pool is a system in flux. If you wanna dump 3 bags and take a measure that's basically just measuring 3 bags worth of alkalinity chemical - fine. But the point of spreading it out is to let the system stabilize somewhat, take a reading, and then decide whether the system needs more.

BartSimpson

You trying to raise TA or just change PH?

If PH, rather get Soda Ash - use Alkalinity Up for TA.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You trying to raise TA or just change PH?

If PH, rather get Soda Ash - use Alkalinity Up for TA.
If the alkalinity is right the pH will follow, as alkalinity is a pH buffer.

To the op - do a bag, give it a few days, test again, add more if necessary.

milomak

Honorary Master
@saor i hear you

@BartSimpson raising ta

@Sinbad i had added one yesterday and there was little visible change in those measuring paper thingies as quite honestly the levels were way too low

i've given it the 3 bags already. reports tomorrow afternoon.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
the packaging on this says add a bag (1kg) and retest after 24 hours

i reckon i need about 3 bags to get my alkalinity right. can i just go ahead and dump 3 bags in in one go?

what could go wrong?

Not 3KG in one go, it will destroy the PH.

Our pool is crystal clear at the moment, we use HTH Clear 4 weeks, some HTH chlorine maybe 3 cups over a week, HTH floater and to really make it clear 1 bottle of HTH Duo Ultra clear.

We bought a 5KG bucket of baking soda which is HTH Alkalinity up but far cheaper.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not 3KG in one go, it will destroy the PH.

Our pool is crystal clear at the moment, we use HTH Clear 4 weeks, some HTH chlorine maybe 3 cups over a week, HTH floater and to really make it clear 1 bottle of HTH Duo Ultra clear.

We bought a 5KG bucket of baking soda which is HTH Alkalinity up but far cheaper.
Baking soda isn't really that much cheaper? Also Alkalinity up won't affect the PH that much even 3 bags. To up PH you need soda ash

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Baking soda isn't really that much cheaper? Also Alkalinity up won't affect the PH that much even 3 bags. To up PH you need soda ash
Alkalinity up will increase the pH to the correct levels.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Alkalinity up will increase the pH to the correct levels.
Nope it will only increase the TA of the pool, not really the pH that much. Sodium Bicarb acts differently to Sodium Carbonate. That's why you have different products, to get the pH to go up you'll have to use a ton of Alkalinity up.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Bicarb vs Alkalinity up? You can get 3kg of Alkalinity up for the same price as 1kg of bicarb/baking soda Screenshot_20210124_180522_fi.android.takealot.jpg Screenshot_20210124_180550_fi.android.takealot.jpg

upup

Executive Member
And how old is your testing device. You can take water to a pool shop, let them test it. how long does your pump run daily. What water do you use for the pool.