Huawei launches Mate 30 Pro with Android 10

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Huawei launches Mate 30 Pro with Android 10

Huawei has launched its new Mate 30 Pro premium smartphone, which will run Android 10.

The device boasts a quad-lens camera system housed which is housed in a circular area in the middle of the chassis' back panel and comprises a 40MP wide-angle lens and 16MP ultra-wide lens, as well as an 8MP telephoto lens and a time-of-flight depth sensor.

Pythonista

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that wraparound screen looks to be a bad idea. It cannot be protected properly in any case, so it's gonna break pretty easily. Otherwise, very nice.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that wraparound screen looks to be a bad idea. It cannot be protected properly in any case, so it's gonna break pretty easily. Otherwise, very nice.
Why they offer a half price screen replacement, R800.00 versus Apples ridiculous price of around R3000.00.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Any idea why the wide angle camera is only 16MP while the normal lense camera is 40MP? Surely the wide angle needs more pixels to capture more area?

Cius

Executive Member
How does it have Android? I thought the new launches would not be able to have full Android?

JayM

Expert Member
How does it have Android? I thought the new launches would not be able to have full Android?
It has the open source Android, but no access to Google services, including Play Store. So a bit useless really.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It has the open source Android, but no access to Google services, including Play Store. So a bit useless really.
From what I have read, you will be able to load Google Services from the Huawei app galary.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Think everyone in China will disagree, no Android phone in China has any google services (including the play store).... not just this one.

This phone will probably not sell that good outside of China though

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Think everyone in China will disagree, no Android phone in China has any google services (including the play store).... not just this one.

This phone will probably not sell that good outside of China though
Google service cannot be pre installed, nothing stops the user/owner from loading whatever he want on the phone.

Dave

Honorary Master
Can still be loaded - check YouTube.
can still be loaded at present, Google are working on a system that will block non-certified phones from accessing the Play Store, even with side loading.

It appears you already can’t sign into Google on a non-certified device.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
can still be loaded at present, Google are working on a system that will block non-certified phones from accessing the Play Store, even with side loading.

It appears you already can’t sign into Google on a non-certified device.

March 2018. A company worth billions is sure taking their time to implement a block ;).