Huawei LTE B593/B315 setup for Unotelly streaming

kianm

Honorary Master
Hi there,

So i thought it might be good to just do a quick post on how to setup the Huawei LTE routers that come with the uncapped LTE to work with custom DNS servers like Unotelly for a seamless streaming experience as a few people have asked how to go about it.

The Huawei LTE routers are known for their lack of flexibility when it comes to custom DHCP options ( they don't allow users to specify custom DNS servers as required to use Unotelly's services) and this leaves owners with 2 options if they want to use their data for streaming Hulu , Netflix etc:

1: Use static IP address and manually specify Unotelly DNS address in their devices 1 by 1 ( This could prove to be a problem with some devices that don't accept
manual/custom DNS settings)
2: Use a secondary router to manage their network addressing and automatically issue out Unotelly/Other custom DNS settings. This is the better method as it
seamlessly configures any device that connects the network with the correct DNS settings for streaming. However with this method port forwards involve a few
extra steps as the default gateway for your devices will no longer be the one dialing the internet connection & connected to the internet directly.

This post will discuss option number 2 where the owner will typically have an existing secondary router (for those moving from ADSL/3G) that has a WAN port. NB:Any other router with a WAN port will also work with this setup.

The images below show an example of the arrangements ports on the back of the existing router, in our setup we want to use the WAN port of the ADSL/3G/other router to connect to any one of the LAN ports of the LTE router

TP Link

TL-MR3420-04.jpg

Netgear DGN 2200

netgear-dgn2200-diagram-large-w65_computers.png

The diagram below shows the network setup and IP configurations of the routers' interfaces. In this example i chose to use the following network subnets, but any other valid private subnets can be used:-
Existing/WAN router: 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 (Devices connect to this network via LAN/wireless, UnoDNS options will be assigned by this router for the network)
Huawel LTE router: 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0 (Router will be responsible for the internet connection. Wireless can be left on or switched off, but if left on user
must ensure they are not connected to the LTE router's wifi if they want to stream HULU etc)

Network diagram:

b593 b315 NFlix.png

Once all connections are done, make sure you configure your downstream existing router's dhcp options to issue out Unotelly's DNS addresses for the LAN, and also ensure you change the router's internet connection type to WAN and the WAN interface to use the LTE router's LAN IP address as it's gateway.

Example snapshots of my setup using a TP Link MR3420 3G router:

DHCP server: ( Note Unotelly DNS servers 197.189.212.164 & 197.242.94.51)
TP Link DHCP.png

WAN Internet connection:
TP Link WAN internet.png

WAN port settings: ( I set mine to dynamic as my setup is constantly changing :p, but one can use a static config here)
TP Link WAN port settings.png

In conclusion, the client PCs and smartphones will use the TP Link as their gateway with Unotelly as their DNS servers, The TP Link uses the Huawei LTE router as it's gateway and forwards all internet bound traffic to it. All devices connected to the TP Link can stream NF, HULU etc with no extra manual configurations per device.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Thanks for the detailed explanation I did consider doing this. I have the tp link 3420 as well. Could I use this to extend the range wirelessly by connecting it wirelessly to the Huawei router? Act as a range extender or would it need to be physically connected.

At the moment, I have set it up to act as a wireless bridge but the pc on the receiving side needs to be plugged in via lan. Is it possible to do what I want without buying a repeater etc?

kianm

Honorary Master
Thanks for the detailed explanation I did consider doing this. I have the tp link 3420 as well. Could I use this to extend the range wirelessly by connecting it wirelessly to the Huawei router? Act as a range extender or would it need to be physically connected.

At the moment, I have set it up to act as a wireless bridge but the pc on the receiving side needs to be plugged in via lan. Is it possible to do what I want without buying a repeater etc?
Unfortunately for this to work the existing router needs to be connected via its WAN port to the LTE router. The TP Link can only route internet traffic either via the USB modem or the WAN port, and for the WAN port option we are using here there needs to be a physical connection to the upstream LTE router.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Unfortunately for this to work the existing router needs to be connected via its WAN port to the LTE router. The TP Link can only route internet traffic either via the USB modem or the WAN port, and for the WAN port option we are using here there needs to be a physical connection to the upstream LTE router.
That's what I though :( thanks though :) will look into getting a repeater or something :)

blowdart18

How do you block DNS lookup through the router for IP address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 tried searching everywhere and doesn't look like this router has the ability to block this address.

Especially for Unotelly and Netflix

kianm

Honorary Master
How do you block DNS lookup through the router for IP address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 tried searching everywhere and doesn't look like this router has the ability to block this address.

Especially for Unotelly and Netflix
Another shortcoming of the Huawei LTE routers and another reason to consider using a secondary downstream router for network management? In my case i am blocking public DNS lookups on my downstream TP Link router under advanced routing, so no device connected on the TP Link's LAN side can successfully talk with those DNS servers. See screenshot below:

TP Link Advanced Routing.png

rodga

Executive Member
thanks will try this out over the weekend
have a tplink lying at the office so it should be virtually the same

sajunky

Honorary Master
Despite of various cuts in Huawei firmware it looks like there is a way to configure B315s for Unotelly streaming without additional router.

According to the above posts there are two love portions:

1. Configure static (Unotelly) DNS server IP address. This can be done with little hacking by using this tool: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...x-for-new-Huawei-HiLink-devices-(E5186-B315s)
In default router configuration your POST message should look like this (changes highlighted):
/api/dhcp/settings

<request>
<DhcpIPAddress>192.168.8.1</DhcpIPAddress>
<DhcpLanNetmask>255.255.255.0</DhcpLanNetmask>
<DhcpStatus>1</DhcpStatus>
<DhcpStartIPAddress>192.168.8.100</DhcpStartIPAddress>
<DhcpEndIPAddress>192.168.8.200</DhcpEndIPAddress>
<DhcpLeaseTime>86400</DhcpLeaseTime>
<DnsStatus>0</DnsStatus>
<PrimaryDns>197.189.212.164</PrimaryDns>
<SecondaryDns>197.242.94.51</SecondaryDns>
</request>
Check wether it is accepted by pressing GET button twice. The first one brings error response.

2. Block Google DNS servers (as pointed out by blowdart18). There is IP Filter option in the firewall main switch menu. You must enable this option. Then add IP address of Unotelly streaming device to the filter table (similarly to this guide http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/204001). In case of B315s it means that streaming device must be configured first to use static IP address (which must be outside DHCP range). In default router configuration it must be between 192.168.8.2-99 or 192.168.8.201-254. It looks like here: IP_Filter.PNG (note that I was to lazy to configure my PC for static IP).

I made changes on my router for testing, but I don't have streaming account to verify it for you. Here is my nslookup:
C:\>nslookup www.netflix.com 8.8.8.8
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com
Addresses: 54.246.114.211, 54.247.102.156, 176.34.114.234, 46.137.74.94
46.137.126.101, 54.246.95.69, 46.137.163.204, 54.247.125.40
Aliases: www.netflix.com, www.geo.netflix.com

C:\>nslookup www.netflix.com
Server: homerouter.cpe
Address: 192.168.8.1

Name: www.netflix.com
Addresses: 173.208.224.183, 69.197.152.183, 162.222.71.83
It looks like from above that manual DNS works (as it returns different set of IP's), but blocking Google DNS do not. It could be how [-]Huawei DNS relay or[/-] nslookup works, I don't know, maybe it is sufficient to get it working, you must try. I blocked only port 53, but you can try to block all ports.

EDIT: Blocking all ports (1-65535) prevents nslookup from accessing Google DNS server. So everything is working now. :) :) :)
Code:
C:\>nslookup www.netflix.com 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 8.8.8.8: Timed out
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Last edited:

blowdart18

Thanks guys very informative.

Sajunky quick one there - in the LAN IP filter can I just indicate port range as "1-65535"

sajunky

Honorary Master
Sajunky quick one there - in the LAN IP filter can I just indicate port range as "1-65535"
Yes of course, description gives a clue. Replacing port 53 in two places - for LAN and WAN part. :)

Last edited:

TheViking

Hey,

I'm hoping to get some assistance here. I have the B593 with Telkom LTE and lately have been hit with the Netflix proxy issue. I found this thread and decided to try to do what the OP has suggested. Unfortunately the ADSL router I have is a Huawei HG532f (also a telkom model) and I can't seem to figure out how the settings relate to the ones given for the TP-LINK router in the original post. I have tried to set it up accordingly, but I haven't seen any change. I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light for me.

I have setup the LAN DHCP settings like this (with UnoTelly DNS servers set - I was trying some different from the SA ones at this stage):

But when I check the WAN status it is still using the Primary & Secondary are still the same as the LTE router:

Here are the WAN settings as I have them:

Here are the advanced settings menu options:

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited:

Necrotic

Also having problems..Unotelly and netflix works fine on PC and even PS4.. but on android device (minix U1-lolipop)when blocking google dnsthen my netflix bitches that it cant connect to netflix.... even when using older netflix app 3.7 (before app hard-coding of dns lookup)close to giving up getting it to work on android...

Milano

Honorary Master
Not able to find a setup screen on the DGN 2200 to change the router's internet connection type to WAN. Unless i missed an entire section, I am unable to find that screen.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Not able to find a setup screen on the DGN 2200 to change the router's internet connection type to WAN. Unless i missed an entire section, I am unable to find that screen.
Power off B315s (and any other routers you have) disconnect any other devices from DGN and power it on (having only your device connected). Your device will get automatic configuration from DGN, so you you will be able to open DGN configuration Web page.

Milano

Honorary Master
Power off B315s (and any other routers you have) disconnect any other devices from DGN and power it on (having only your device connected). Your device will get automatic configuration from DGN, so you you will be able to open DGN configuration Web page.
Trying to set it up to use Borderless Internet's DNS. Am able to get into the router configuration. Not sure how to change the router's internet connection type to WAN. The WAN setup screen looks different to the TPlink one you posted...

Router - WAN Setup.jpg

Should we be using the basic settings screen below?

Router - Basic Settings.jpg

sajunky

Honorary Master
Trying to set it up to use Borderless Internet's DNS. Am able to get into the router configuration.
Sorry, I can't help with configuring DGN. Now I am switching off so you get help from other members, but if you want to try alternative solution posted in this thread, just ask question, I will be back.