• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

I am canning Spotify after loving it, need a replacement

Batista

Executive Member
So just let me get this clear with everyone here, you only have music on your playlist that you will listen to in your next journey/session? I might be missing something here but I'd rather have more music in my playlist and not have to repeat songs the whole time, do I have it wrong?

I didn't know "finishing a playlist" was a thing
Yeah I wasnt attacking you, so sorry if my tone sounded off.
Im just amazed you put together a playlist of that many songs, I can hardly put one together of the songs I like and its comes out to like 80 songs in my lifetime.

RedViking

Honorary Master
At this stage it's M.A.D. if either try playing silly buggers. More so when Apple lets Google Maps into CarPlay. Besides, unless Google reaches into my phone and yanks off AM then what can they do? Apple can always release their own APK, right?
These big girls can do some strange stuff.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Im just amazed you put together a playlist of that many songs, I can hardly put one together of the songs I like and its comes out to like 80 songs in my lifetime.
There are not that many choices when it comes to Mozart's concertos , it's understandable. =p

R4ziel

Sorry, didn't mean to single you out but that seems to be the general notion. People can't understand why you want so many songs on a playlist, I just press shuffle and listen to whatever comes up. Its not a life decision to listen to a specific song or set of songs for the day. I would die if I only had a playlist of 80 songs, I'd listen to the whole playlist 3 times a week

RedViking

Honorary Master
Sorry, didn't mean to single you out but that seems to be the general notion. People can't understand why you want so many songs on a playlist, I just press shuffle and listen to whatever comes up. Its not a life decision to listen to a specific song or set of songs for the day. I would die if I only had a playlist of 80 songs, I'd listen to the whole playlist 3 times a week
One thing that irritates the crap out of me regarding Google Play is that it ALWAYS shuffle the playlist in the same order or starting from the first song in the list. Is it just me?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hey guys, so a while a go I got introduced to Spotify through a discussion on the forum and I fell in love with the way it works, using it in my car daily and getting everything set up.

I have been adding artists and songs to my library which I never knew and discovered a crap ton new music. The one problem now is I have reached the maximum allowed songs in the library and I can only download a third of them to my phone. I don't understand this restriction on a premium service and it is utterly backwards. The reason i pa for a service is to not have restrictions!

Anyway, I need a replacement. I don't have anything apple and never will so no Apple music, but what others are there that allows for Offline play on mobile and works like spotify that I don't have to buy all the songs I listen to? I don't particularly need a desktop app although that will be an added benefit.

Any ideas?
As mentioned, you should probably make Play Music your next stop. You'll love how good the auto stations are, although you're sure to miss Spotify's amazing curated playlists.

Why did you add so much to your library? It's not like you can keep listening to so much, or even keep track of it properly. I go through a lot of music on Spotify, but strictly only add full albums to my library and only if they're really brilliant. 'Hearting' every song you like from the personalised playlists is a sure way to clog up your library.

Also, why on Earth would you want to download so much? It's a streaming service. The point is to just download whatever you're currently listening to so it's available on the go.

Personally, I'd sooner start mass deleting items in my Spotify library before changing service. I discover more new great music with Spotify in a day than any other service can manage in a month.

My only grievance with Spotify is not being able to upload anything, but I can live with that. I'm more of a nomad than a hoarder when it comes to music, and only return regularly to a few absolute favourites.

FWIW you don't need an Apple device to use Apple Music. I ditched Google Music on my Android phone in favour of AM.
I've said many times that Apple Music is probably the closest to being the perfect music streaming service, but for now the curated playlists and auto stations are a real problem imo. For someone who loves Spotify that could be an easy deal breaker.

Hated spotify. Deezer was also useless to me. My trial expired on Google play music, just started apple music, but so far I would recommend Google play music anyday!
What did you hate about Spotify?

R4ziel

Why did you add so much to your library? It's not like you can keep listening to so much, or even keep track of it properly. I go through a lot of music on Spotify, but strictly only add full albums to my library and only if they're really brilliant. 'Hearting' every song you like from the personalised playlists is a sure way to clog up your library.
So just for interest sake, how much time do you spend manually selecting all the songs you like and adding them to a playlist? How many songs do you have on a playlist and how often do you listen to music?

Also, why on Earth would you want to download so much? It's a streaming service. The point is to just download whatever you're currently listening to so it's available on the go.
I listen to it in my car on the way to work and back, I don't want to use all my data by listening to something that could be local on my device.

What did you hate about Spotify?
I hate nothing about spotify, I enjoy using it and it works well for me, the limitations are just retarded and I was looking for alternatives, which there doesn't seem to be any.

Google play is very frustrating to navigate I found, but that could be because I like mass adding music, and not one track at a time. I am really not going to sit and go though all my current artists and albums to find songs I want to listen to and what I don't want, That will take days to go through

RedViking

Honorary Master
Google play is very frustrating to navigate I found, but that could be because I like mass adding music, and not one track at a time. I am really not going to sit and go though all my current artists and albums to find songs I want to listen to and what I don't want, That will take days to go through
You just add the album?
IMG_OPC_20180827_140507img.jpg

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So just for interest sake, how much time do you spend manually selecting all the songs you like and adding them to a playlist? How many songs do you have on a playlist and how often do you listen to music?

I listen to it in my car on the way to work and back, I don't want to use all my data by listening to something that could be local on my device.

I hate nothing about spotify, I enjoy using it and it works well for me, the limitations are just retarded and I was looking for alternatives, which there doesn't seem to be any.

The last question wasn't at you but @namzsteve. I wouldn't have assumed you hate Spotify based on the thread title alone.

I have Spotify playing nearly constantly. Even while I'm working I usually have classical music in the background. I just counted and I have 31 playlists. The longest is 133 tracks and is overdue for trimming. I generally don't let things get out of hand. Older stuff I haven't listened to in a while usually doesn't appeal to me a great deal when I give it a quick listen, so I cut it loose. I routinely delete playlists that have overstayed their usefulness. I have 141 albums in my library, which probably means there are around 2000 songs in my library. They are exclusively albums I can enjoy listening to from start to finish, so when I'm in the mood for existing favourites it's super easy and enjoyable to browse my library by album. It's also very useful for when people ask for music recommendations.

As for manually selecting music for playlists, that's fairly rare. I'm usually playing curated playlists made by Spotify or that I find through search. When I hear something I really like I'll add it to the relevant playlist. Which tells you that I don't have redundant playlists - there is one for each genre or mood I care to categorise music into. Exceptions are a Car Mix that is purposefully maintained to be ideal for listening to while driving and always kept downloaded, and a few specific to artists or a similar-sounding group of artists. Because I trim stuff I've tired of the list of playlists doesn't balloon out of control.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So just for interest sake, how much time do you spend manually selecting all the songs you like and adding them to a playlist?
Not sure why you would manually create playlists when there's already 2 billion of them on Spotify. GPM even takes it further and give you playlists based on your location, time of day and interest.

R4ziel

I have Spotify playing nearly constantly. Even while I'm working I usually have classical music in the background. I just counted and I have 31 playlists. The longest is 133 tracks and is overdue for trimming. I generally don't let things get out of hand. Older stuff I haven't listened to in a while usually doesn't appeal to me a great deal when I give it a quick listen, so I cut it loose. I routinely delete playlists that have overstayed their usefulness. I have 141 albums in my library, which probably means there are around 2000 songs in my library. They are exclusively albums I can enjoy listening to from start to finish, so when I'm in the mood for existing favourites it's super easy and enjoyable to browse my library by album. It's also very useful for when people ask for music recommendations.

As for manually selecting music for playlists, that's fairly rare. I'm usually playing curated playlists made by Spotify or that I find through search. When I hear something I really like I'll add it to the relevant playlist. Which tells you that I don't have redundant playlists - there is one for each genre or mood I care to categorise music into. Exceptions are a Car Mix that is purposefully maintained to be ideal for listening to while driving and always kept downloaded, and a few specific to artists or a similar-sounding group of artists. Because I trim stuff I've tired of the list of playlists doesn't balloon out of control.
You put in a lot of effort, which is strange to me as my music selection is not nearly as refined.

I don't like the curated playlists or the daily mixes, they play stuff I don't like most of the time, so I end up skipping most of them.

The way I do it is I add artists that I like to my selection, then add their albums and songs to my playlist. I don't go through them selecting one by one what my mood or location or whatever other motivation for music is, I just add them and hit shuffle on the playlist.

I have one playlist, with everything in my library, that I listen to constantly. If there is a song I really don't like, ill remove it, but most of the time it just plays

genetic

Honorary Master
I tried Spotify, but found Google Play Music to be far better. I also love the "I'm feeling lucky" feature on Google Play.

genetic

Honorary Master

I have one playlist, with everything in my library, that I listen to constantly. If there is a song I really don't like, ill remove it, but most of the time it just plays
Google Play Music creates a playlist of all your liked songs automatically for you. Any song you like gets thrown into a playlist called "Thumbs Up".

Can't remember if Spotify did the same.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Google Play Random Play: Solved

Okay, so I figured out what I did wrong.

1. Make sure shuffle is on.
2. Clear Current Queue (important)
3. Go into the Playlist. (Don't click the big Play button for that Playlist or say add playlist to queue, which is the method I always used).
4. Select only one song in that playlist
5. Google play will automatically add the other songs in the playlist in random order.

I've cleared the queue and selected the same song in that playlist and the order was different every time.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You put in a lot of effort, which is strange to me as my music selection is not nearly as refined.

I don't like the curated playlists or the daily mixes, they play stuff I don't like most of the time, so I end up skipping most of them.

The way I do it is I add artists that I like to my selection, then add their albums and songs to my playlist. I don't go through them selecting one by one what my mood or location or whatever other motivation for music is, I just add them and hit shuffle on the playlist.

It doesn't require much effort. The trick is to spend a little bit of time every day while using Spotify to maintain things nicely, rather than wait until it's an epic mess and pretty much impossible to sort out.

Your habits are very unusual for any user of any music streaming service. And if you don't like Spotify's curated playlists then there's zero point using the service, so you should switch asap. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about the top hits type playlists, which I don't enjoy on any streaming service. If you dig a little deeper, Spotify has a metric ton of awesome curated playlists and they're updated quite regularly.

Play Music can possibly provide what you're looking for, so again, make that the next stop on your musical journey. Just don't go creating playlists that contain all your stuff for no reason - that's a no no on any service. Spotify already has multiple daily mixes based on your library, listening history and new discoveries. Play Music has the Thumbs Up playlist and Apple Music has a Favourites Mix or something like that. Also, flooding your library with the full catalogues of every artist you even mildly like is up to you, but it's going to totally dilute the quality of your library everywhere you go and will prevent you from ever having a truly great streaming experience. I mean, what's the point? The stuff is available at the click of a button if you want it, so just add the really good stuff.