I built a website aimed at restaurant discovery

Darko

Actually, I haven't even tried to do anything on the site, my post was purely to reinforce Sauron's post. I'll give it a bash in a few, sounds like you've got something going.

My point still stands though. Right now I'm lying on the couch with my laptop on my chest in front of the TV. The only reason for this is because I'm busy working on the pet project I was referring to earlier. If it wasn't for that, and an idea popped into my mind for a get-together, I would not open my laptop, as things are just far more convenient using my phone.

Maybe its because some of us (read: the majority of the MyBB community) are power users of phones? This actually reminds me of people I know who bought S9's and only use it for WhatsApp and Facebook, so maybe you're right, you shouldn't force people to use apps.
Aha, I see. Yeah, check it out. Plan a night out with the missus and let me know how it works out.

Even me. I often browse Reddit / Insta when I'm on the couch and watching TV. Even when I'm totally into the show I'm watching, I often find scrolling a bit of a habit.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Neat, I'm not going download an app for something that can be accessed through a browser. There's pros and cons to having an app versus a website. Just because you feel strongly about an idea / concept doesn't make the other irrelevant.

@Darko look at progressive web apps.

theratman

Executive Member
Hey man. I appreciate all feedback. Thank you for the time.

Is it just the convenience of having an app on your phone screen, or the fact that it's not as mobile friendly as it can be?
App is for a small minority of the market. The user base is going to be 95% mobile. Apps are expensive and cumbersome, if your market will respond to an app to for it.

Personally I've seen guys spend millions on apps and end up with nothing in return. Our market just isn't ready for apps imo. But that's my 2c from my exp in a different industry that has loads of mobile users, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Darko

Neat, I'm not going download an app for something that can be accessed through a browser. There's pros and cons to having an app versus a website. Just because you feel strongly about an idea / concept doesn't make the other irrelevant.

@Darko look at progressive web apps.
Agreed there.

Am busy with the PWA integration as we speak.

Darko

App is for a small minority of the market. The user base is going to be 95% mobile. Apps are expensive and cumbersome, if your market will respond to an app to for it.

Personally I've seen guys spend millions on apps and end up with nothing in return. Our market just isn't ready for apps imo. But that's my 2c from my exp in a different industry that has loads of mobile users, so take it with a pinch of salt.
I was sort of leaning towards a home screen convenience whether or not it was worth investigating a PWA in this respect.

I've worked with startups that have wasted millions around a mobile app that the market just didn't want, or need. So I get the sentiment entirely.

theratman

Executive Member
I was sort of leaning towards a home screen convenience whether or not it was worth investigating a PWA in this respect.

I've worked with startups that have wasted millions around a mobile app that the market just didn't want, or need. So I get the sentiment entirely.
I'm not bashing apps but there needs to be lots of research put it before investing in a long Dev cycle. If you can make a solid one easily then go for it by all means.

Darko

Ugh. I can't really. I'm definitely more of a web guy.

There are a few ideas and concepts that lend themselves to a dedicated app that I'm working on, but for this one, it seemed a bit overkill.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I’m pretty sure you are in the minority.

Never meant nobody uses websites any more, just less and less.
I disagree, actually been keeping up with studies on this.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/25/m...l-download-zero-apps-per-month-says-comscore/

The main reason to still push for sites is people moving over to using their assistants (Google/Siri) and saying good place to eat, you can check it out via the browser.
1541939733556.png
Hit the mic button, say I want food in xyz (can even say I want pasta or something) and good to go. Click on the store, get a nice pop-up, click on website on the right if I want to check out what they think is great.

Websites are very important in selling things, you don't really need an app. I bet you very few people download apps beyond wanting reward stuff, and I know quite a few people who download it once and forget about it, not bothering with the rewards as it's a bit of an effort. Also it takes up space on your phone.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I spend 90% of my day behind my laptop and that's where I do most of my interaction with the outside world.

So do I.

Which is precisely why something like this would only catch me during the 10% of leisure time that I take on my phone.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I disagree, actually been keeping up with studies on this.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/25/m...l-download-zero-apps-per-month-says-comscore/

The main reason to still push for sites is people moving over to using their assistants (Google/Siri) and saying good place to eat, you can check it out via the browser.
View attachment 577616
Hit the mic button, say I want food in xyz (can even say I want pasta or something) and good to go. Click on the store, get a nice pop-up, click on website on the right if I want to check out what they think is great.

Websites are very important in selling things, you don't really need an app. I bet you very few people download apps beyond wanting reward stuff, and I know quite a few people who download it once and forget about it, not bothering with the rewards as it's a bit of an effort. Also it takes up space on your phone.
The above is a perfect example.

I check out reviews on Zomato and Google Maps all the time before trying new places.

On their Apps.

I see absolutely no logical reason why the digital assistant would push you to those website instead of their apps.

I also see absolutely no reason why the website would sell it better. In fact quite the opposite as websites lack focus and I tend to be distracted by other crap instead of what I came there for.

Also research stating people download less apps doesn’t correlate with the fact that they aren’t using the apps they already have.

I very rarely download new apps. Doesn’t mean I stopped using the ones I have already.

But your very research actually supports my points that 57% of TIME is spent in Apps instead of browsers split further between desktop and mobile.

America is also an odd place. Just look at their president and we know that the majority there is rather backwards. :)

Last edited:

Spacerat

I think to some extent the desired UX also factors into the equation. Its hard to have a native like experience consistently accross mobile browsers.