I have been scammed.A bit undecided now...

Ramsey

Hi members, I'm looking for some honest, pro bono input from people, who might have landed up in a similar situation to mine.Thanks

Okay I was out celebrating a family members birthday. When I happened to meet a old acquaintance, we chatted briefly mostly about our careers and what we doing now.He mentioned his doing tenders now and if I'm interested I should let him know, his looking for people to partner up his doing well.

We left it at that, two weeks later I get a message from his brother, stating he heard I might be interested in partnering up. He stated he secured a big job tender for some big company, he sent a few docs and everything looked legit,
I told him I'm very sceptical and he suggested we meet up, so we had a meeting the next day. Everything seemed to go well and looked legit.
I asked if things had to go bad for some reason would he be able to pay me.He said yes, but his money is abit tied up in other projects and he only has his car as collateral.

I declined, that was not good enough..We left it at that a few weeks later, he calls me saying he partnered up with someone else and they have already received there monthly pay out for this tender (I know ,I should of seen the red flags)..I congratulate him but his adamant we should partner up for next month.

So I question him again and we decided to have another meeting.But this time I tell him to bring a three month bank statement ,I would like to see what's going on. He agrees ,the next day we meet up.I go three the statement it looks legit.

I agree to be investor, I request that acknowledgement of debt is drawn up and I proceed with a investment in his pty company...

Okay ,jumping quite a few chapters ahead.The point is... I discovered that this is a scam, 8months later not a scent returned just false promises, fake proof of payments being sent and messages.

I opened up a case of fraud and forgery..The police has taken statements from both of us...He has admitted to taking my money under false presences but promises to pay me back..

I'm thinking the case is over, his just admitted his going to get arrested , but that doesn't happen.

The police document will be sent to the magistrate and he will decide.

The Saps official strongly thinks this will be a civil case, which I am not happy with, it should be criminal..

So my question...When I get feedback and it's a civil case although all the proof is there of defrauding me..Can I challenge the prosecutor to reassess the decision to criminal?& if there is perhaps a better legal(lol) way of getting my money back?

Thanks

holler

Or if the amount and transaction qualifies, go directly to the small claims court.

Thor

Honorary Master
Is that you should be here ponzi doing the rounds or something else?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Hectic! All the best. If you may, post progress from time to time.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Would someone explain to me what it is to "do tenders" please?

airborne

Executive Member
Op the key is how much money is involved and how much does the crook have to lose either financially or reputationally?

animal531

Expert Member
Mostly general construction. People use "do tenders" instead of "I'm in construction".
There are tenders in all different fields, not just construction.
Usually when any of a government, public or big company is involved.

realkingkam

Get a lawyer ASAP . Small claims ect will drag ass ... push for criminal ... if he gets civil he can claim lack of income and take the mickey in paying you back .

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Yes, it is literally anything that is not in the core line of business of the company or government department. They then publish a tender with criteria of what they want done. You as the tenderpreneur then submit bids basically selling your service to them. After the closing date, the company or department clinches the deal with you and you provide the service.

There are however cases where a tender is closed, meaning no other service provider is approached apart from one. This is usually the case when there's a rush for time and or there are literally no other service provider s in the area who provides this service. An example would be providing a bus transportation service for schools in the district. If there aren't any other person who has busses then it makes no sense to have an open tender process <--- this gets severely abused byt guavamint because how would you know about a tender if it was not published in the government gazette, so there's that.

Adrianax

Banned
Hang on. Don't spend money on lawyers and all the s**t spoken here.

This is a criminal case from your explanation. Fraudulent documents were presented to you and you gave him money, believing you would invest in his project based on the misrepresentation. This is fraud.

Wait for the police to finish their investigation. Wait for them to send the case docket to the National Prosecuting Authorities. Wait for the National Prosecuting Authorities to finish their decision.

The investigation from the police side could take anywhere from 1 month to 5 years, perhaps even longer. The National Prosecuting Authorities may even ask the police to conduct further investigations, which could take several more months or even years. Once everything is said and done, the NPA will make a decision regarding prosecution based on the evidence before them. Only then will arrests be made.

The police officer thinking this is a civil matter, is probably a bit too uneducated to perform his duties and give proper advise, as is the case with 97% of all police officers in SA today,. The NPA will guide him in his investigation. But, if the ruling comes back with a nolle proseque (refusal to prosecute), then go see an attorney with the aim of suing him for your losses.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Would someone explain to me what it is to "do tenders" please?
Mostly general construction. People use "do tenders" instead of "I'm in construction".
I know what a "tender" is ffs

I was answering Mowgs' question and explaining how the phrase "do tenders" is used by the general (mostly semi-literate) public. Almost like how "now" and "now now" are used in informal conversations.

Last edited:

Ramsey

Get a lawyer ASAP . Small claims ect will drag ass ... push for criminal ... if he gets civil he can claim lack of income and take the mickey in paying you back .
Thanks Realkingkam, I am pushing for that. I can see his plan is for the civil route and plead poverty.