I need an Alternative to Dreamweaver

LinuxMan

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
2,285
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Cape Town
Hi Guys
I need a free alternative to Dreamweaver. Purely for web design and some code.
Your views will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
VIM :D

For design use GIMP, the rest I would use Notepad++.
 
Started off with FP 2000, then DW for the last few years. The HTML/JS code editor is a lot better that DW CS3 I'm using now.
DreamWeaver should be taken out into the street and shot, too. Take a look around - all the serious developers create their own code rather than rely on a designer. There are IDEs out there that make it just as quick a job, too. (For the record, if I had to choose a WYSIWYG editor, it'd probably be Visual Studio - and even then I'd end up tweaking the code...)
 
Why not try Visual Web Developer Express 2008?

(isn't 2010 around the corner?)

EDIT: Ok, just read Raithlin's comment in the parentheses... :D
 
DreamWeaver should be taken out into the street and shot, too. Take a look around - all the serious developers create their own code rather than rely on a designer. There are IDEs out there that make it just as quick a job, too. (For the record, if I had to choose a WYSIWYG editor, it'd probably be Visual Studio - and even then I'd end up tweaking the code...)

Beats using Notepad ;0) BTW, the code editor in Sharepoint designer is based on VS.
 
I must fully agree that Frontpage is a complete waste of time!
all i need is a simple WYSIWYG interface, then i use notepad++ to tweak the code...
Will look at NVU
 
Clearly everyone missed the point and got totally stuck on the words "frontpage", even though NO ONE actually recommended FrontPage.

Sharepoint Designer != Frontpage .
Visual Studio Web Developer Express != Frontpage

Both Sharepoint Designer and VS is superior to Frontpage, and obviously Microsoft would re-use Frontpage functionality and improve it....

Really it's like saying Windows 7 is crap because you had a bad experience in Windows 98 .
 
Last edited:
what exactly is your problem with dreamweaver and what do you want it to achieve?
let's start there.
 
Is Dreamweaver to complicated or too simple for your needs?

Xara Web Designer is worth also looking at.
 
Clearly everyone missed the point and got totally stuck on the words "frontpage", even though NO ONE actually recommended FrontPage.

Sharepoint Designer != Frontpage .
Visual Studio Web Developer Express != Frontpage

Both Sharepoint Designer and VS is superior to Frontpage, and obviously Microsoft would re-use Frontpage functionality and improve it....

Really it's like saying Windows 7 is crap because you had a bad experience in Windows 98 .

Technically, no. Windows 7 is based on Vista, which is based on W2k, which ultimately has its roots in NT. NT and Windows 98 are similar in looks, but have totally different codebases.
I know FrontPage improved in its last versions, but I like to kick dead cows. It's fun. :)

[Disclaimer: I haven't even used Sharepoint Designer - but I do use Visual Studio - and the other products I recommend.]
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X