iBurst are a disgrace

verypissedoff

My 75+ yo mother phoned me the other day all excited telling me she had just signed up for a 24 month iburst contract.

After picking my jaw up off the floor, I found out that she had been called by Atlantic (her isp) sold a bunch of BS about "lightning fast" internet by their sales reps and then proceeded to sign on the dotted line.

When I had finished beating my head against the wall, I had her do an iburst speed test:

100-150 kbps down (which is in line with the coverage map [Javelin crescent, Weltevreden park, jhb]) ... horrible but at least better than a 56k slowdem.

BUT her upload speeds are atrocious: 4.0 to 7.5 kbps ... less than a 1/3 that of a 56k slowdem :mad:

Naturally, with upload speeds like that her experience is horrible.

I've done the usual ... set her MTU and asked her to move her antenna about to no avail.

At this stage it appears she had two options:

(1) Get out of the contract. Although no doubt ... the prokurowers have locked that down tighter than a fishes twat. Has anyone successfully got out of an iFraud contract?
(2) Pay R700 to get an external antenna installed in the *hope* that it will improve things.

Any advice?

It's disgraceful how iburst reps are conning gullible marks into their shiatty service :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Keeper

Honorary Master
Seems they getting desperate now.....

let her sink in peace guys, stop conning old people

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'd rather have a 56k dialup account than iBurst. At least you know it's always going to work at 56k.

Just get her to stop paying for it. What does she care if she gets blacklisted? She's not buying a house anytime soon is she?

verypissedoff

I'd rather have a 56k dialup account than iBurst. At least you know it's always going to work at 56k.

Just get her to stop paying for it. What does she care if she gets blacklisted? She's not buying a house anytime soon is she?
To date I have been able to remotely support and update her PC over a 56k modem.Since IFraud I literally cant connect to her using RDP anymore ... her upload is that bad.

She owns her house so I guess that's not an issue. However presumably iFraud would still sue her for R160x24.

She would have done much better to get a 384 kbps ADSL line (R140) and a 500 mb bandwidth package (R40). But like I said she didnt check this all with me first *sigh*

mister

Executive Member
Google for "contract cooling off period"

Electronic Communications and Transactions Act. 2002
Chapter VII - Consumer Protection
44. Cooling-off period

1) A consumer is entitled to cancel without reason and without penalty any transaction and any related credit agreement for the supply-
a) of goods within seven days after the date of the receipt of the goods; or
b) of services within seven days after the date of the conclusion of the agreement.
2) The only charge that may be levied on the consumer is the direct cost of returning the goods.
3) If payment for the goods or services has been effected prior to a consumer exercising a right referred to in subsection ( I ), the consumer is entitled to a full refund of' such payment, which refund must be made within 30 days of the date of cancellation.
4) This section must not be construed as prejudicing the rights of a consumer provided for in any other law.

Sackboy

Executive Member
A 75yr old. This is disgraceful. They should offer her a refund (minus usage) immediately.

Kaufies

Expert Member
Title says it all- DISGRACEFUL!
Hope you get this sorted out, I saved my mom from entering a terrible contract with SAOL but she too was ready to sign.

iBurst

iBurst representative
Company Rep
Morning Verypissedoff

Could I be of assistance?

Please send me contact detail if ok with you.

Thanks

Luke7777

Executive Member
she had been called by Atlantic (her isp) sold a bunch of BS about "lightning fast" internet by their sales reps
I'm confused. From the first post it seems that @lantic's sales reps has sold her an iBurst contract, not iBurst. Why the rant against iBurst ? If the ISP has sold her VC or MTN with the same results, would you have said "Vodacom/MTN IS a disgrace" ?

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I'm confused. From the first post it seems that @lantic's sales reps has sold her an iBurst contract, not iBurst. Why the rant against iBurst ? If the ISP has sold her VC or MTN with the same results, would you have said "Vodacom/MTN IS a disgrace" ?
+1

Gekco

Expert Member
After picking my jaw up off the floor, I found out that she had been called by Atlantic (her isp) sold a bunch of BS about "lightning fast" internet by their sales reps and then proceeded to sign on the dotted line.

When I had finished beating my head against the wall, I had her do an iburst speed test:

100-150 kbps down (which is in line with the coverage map [Javelin crescent, Weltevreden park, jhb]) ... horrible but at least better than a 56k slowdem.

BUT her upload speeds are atrocious: 4.0 to 7.5 kbps ... less than a 1/3 that of a 56k slowdem :mad:
Are you referring to Kilobits per second here? (Looks that way)
In which case I suggest you have a good case to approach Atlantic and ask them to cancel the contract due to non-performance of the service.
If it was sold as 'Lightning fast' Internet and the coverage in the area is so poor that those are the best speeds attainable then Atlantic have not delivered the service sold.
Agree with the other posters above that this should be directed primarily at Atlantic.

IzZzy

Executive Member
Google for "contract cooling off period"

Electronic Communications and Transactions Act. 2002
Chapter VII - Consumer Protection
44. Cooling-off period

1) A consumer is entitled to cancel without reason and without penalty any transaction and any related credit agreement for the supply-
a) of goods within seven days after the date of the receipt of the goods; or
b) of services within seven days after the date of the conclusion of the agreement.
2) The only charge that may be levied on the consumer is the direct cost of returning the goods.
3) If payment for the goods or services has been effected prior to a consumer exercising a right referred to in subsection ( I ), the consumer is entitled to a full refund of' such payment, which refund must be made within 30 days of the date of cancellation.
4) This section must not be construed as prejudicing the rights of a consumer provided for in any other law.

The ECTA Act only applies to certain electronic transactions.. not all transactions in general. Doubt it would be applicable in this case with a telephonic transaction (assuming that was the case).