iBurst decommissioning its network

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
iBurst decommissioning its network

iBurst has informed customers that it will start decommissioning its network from the beginning of February.

“From the beginning of February, iBurst will begin decommissioning their wireless Internet network,” said the company.

konfab

Honorary Master
Tears_In_Rain.png

"I've seen latency you people wouldn't believe. Steam downloads at 25 kB/s . I watched Youtube stutter in the dark near the peak time. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Thor

Honorary Master
Here is to hoping they can do a better job than neotel and offer a true alternative to Telkon.

Lupus

Honorary Master
View attachment 414174

"I've seen latency you people wouldn't believe. Steam downloads at 25 kB/s . I watched Youtube stutter in the dark near the peak time. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
I've tried to replicate that with ADSL and just couldn't...

Electron1

Expert Member
I wonder what their low end customers will do. Some are elderly people with contracts less that R100 per month that were more cost effective than 3G for the amount of data. Terrible speeds (1MBps) but it worked for them. Seems they are going to be dropped by iBurst.

McT

The Humble Scot!
The only person I know who uses (used?) iBurst complained constantly of their appalling service for nigh on the past 2 years. I did try to move them to something different (not sure how that ended). In their worst, it was more appalling that watching enamel paint dry in 100% humidity.

That this decommissioning took this long to get to, is a small wonder. RIP.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I wonder what their low end customers will do. Some are elderly people with contracts less that R100 per month that were more cost effective than 3G for the amount of data. Terrible speeds (1MBps) but it worked for them. Seems they are going to be dropped by iBurst.
Yeah. Not all of us have the budget to be able to afford high-speed uncapped internet and all that.

Some of us don't really need the speed, and will be happy with an 1024k link... can always download to watch later.

dgcarter

SPOILER ALERT

Here is a screenshot of the "exclusive" deals for existing iBurst customers.

• Uncapped is NOT an option, and wont be made an option either according to the FAQ's.
  • They will give you an LTE modem, but looks like you HAVE to sign a 24 month contract.
  • I can't find these T's & C's they reference after just about every sentence.

I'm really not keen AT ALL about signing a 24 month contract with iBurst. I am currently on a month to month and like it that way. I currently pay R299 p/m for uncapped :crying:

iburst_lte.jpg

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Essentially dumping their existing customers and still no offer in the public space.
They will lose spectrum soon, I think.