iBurst network problems: misinformation, silence, and court battles

biometrics

Honorary Master
It is understood that [-]ICASA[/-] iBurst has started to bypass the affected network areas, which brought back some areas of the iBurst network.

[-]Fixed[/-] typo.

Last edited:

wannick

I don't think it is fixed. Been trying the whole day to get on bid or buy. Called them and they say all I burst clients can not get connected.

rrcatto

I was with iBust from Feb 2008 to Feb 2011. They treated me like **** and I was on their highest package paying them over R2000 per month. They disconnected me 3 times without cause. I was offline for weeks at a time. Their billing software overbills and makes mistakes.

In Feb 2011, they disconnected me for the last time and demanded payment of over R4000 in arrears, which I dispute owing. They then listed me with ITC for refusing to pay. During 2012, some debt collecting *******s harrassed me a few times and I told them to go **** themselves. The sum demanded had magically risen to over R6000.

I switched to 3GB in 2011. I use Cell C and 8ta prepaid data and I get a much better service at much better rates. iBust was horrendously slow.

Anyone still with iBust should terminate their accounts and switch to 3G. You will not be sorry.

iBust is over. Their technology is obsolete. They can't compete on speed nor price. They really have no value to offer.

BGE

Expert Member
I agree with rrcatto, Iburst are trying really hard to milk the last little bit out of what is essentially a dead technology...

Don't think they really making enough money to pay the ICASA license fees!

Tns

Executive Member
use iburst a few time and werent impressed at all. 3g is way faster

I O U

In Feb 2011, they disconnected me for the last time and demanded payment of over R4000 in arrears, which I dispute owing. They then listed me with ITC for refusing to pay. During 2012, some debt collecting *******s harrassed me a few times and I told them to go **** themselves. The sum demanded had magically risen to over R6000.

Hope you've managed to get off the ITC list.
Out of interest, are iBurst still claiming from you, or did you simply settle what you think you owed ?

The company previously said that their connectivity issues were caused by “a power failure in one of our major data centres”. The iBurst data centre where the main problems occurred is the MTN Gallo Manor facility.

However, MTN denied that there were any power failures at its Gallo Manor data centre.

MTN seemingly at the centre of another problem.

Electron1

Expert Member
ICASA could also not immediately comment on the issue. The regulator said that they are currently drafting a statement about the problem, after which the ICASA council will need to approve it before it will be issued.

It is understood that the legal nature of the issue is partly to blame for the lack of information from the regulator.
If ICASA are behind the outage, as seems to be the case, how come they cannot issue any statement. All it is doing is leading to lots of speculation, and it shows just how incompetent ICASA are, if they did take action, effectively cutting off iBurst customers from the outside world, but cannot comment on it at all.

iBurst also are avoiding any statement on the actual cause. If it was ICASA, why do they not say so and inform their users?

Seems to be lots of intrigue around this - I would love to know the real story.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
If ICASA are behind the outage, as seems to be the case, how come they cannot issue any statement. All it is doing is leading to lots of speculation, and it shows just how incompetent ICASA are, if they did take action, effectively cutting off iBurst customers from the outside world, but cannot comment on it at all.

iBurst also are avoiding any statement on the actual cause. If it was ICASA, why do they not say so and inform their users?

Seems to be lots of intrigue around this - I would love to know the real story.

It's not ICASA's job to do so. They're just enforcing the law. Why should they waste money on putting out public statements? Do they need to do so every time they confiscate some equipment? They certainly don't/shouldn't get access to the customer lists to inform the customers personally.

If iBurst wants to keep their customers, it's their responsibility to inform their customers what happened and reassure them it won't happen again. They're failing spectacularly in this regard, and it's going to bite them in the bum.

Electron1

Expert Member
It's not ICASA's job to do so. They're just enforcing the law. Why should they waste money on putting out public statements? Do they need to do so every time they confiscate some equipment? They certainly don't/shouldn't get access to the customer lists to inform the customers personally.

If iBurst wants to keep their customers, it's their responsibility to inform their customers what happened and reassure them it won't happen again. They're failing spectacularly in this regard, and it's going to bite them in the bum.
As a regulator responsible ultimately to the public, and knowing that this would affect a significant amount of users of VOIP, email, ADSL, and wireless services, they should take them in to consideration.
BTW what money does it cost to put out a press statement?

daveza

Honorary Master
knowing that this would affect a significant amount of users of VOIP, email, ADSL, and wireless services

...iBurst were obliged to inform their own paying clients as to the facts.

It's a cheap shot for iBurst to make ICASA the villain.

inferno

ICASA's job is not to look after the public, its to regulate the industry.