iBurst to trial LTE network

sajunky

Honorary Master
Small network, no plans for national coverage.
What a waste of spectrum.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Small network, no plans for national coverage.
What a waste of spectrum.
Cell C have been testing a small LTE network for years. Only now are they apparently expanding. Just because they wont have national goverage by tomorrow, does not mean they are not planning on expanding. But Iburst is not Vodacom or MTN, or even Cell C with Oger with their deep pockets. They are going to have to be very smart about this. This can make or break them.

Method

Executive Member
Well, I was "forced" to use iBurst a few years ago due to limitations in the area and it was borderline useless.

LTE will hopefully fix that issue.

stepper

Expert Member
Anyone still use iBurst?
Yes, still do. Its a cheaper option for me plus limited choices where I am..Telkom refuse to sign me up on their LTE packages cos am out of their coverage map even though testing with my Sim Sonke it registers LTE on the router.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Cell C have been testing a small LTE network for years. Only now are they apparently expanding. Just because they wont have national goverage by tomorrow, does not mean they are not planning on expanding. But Iburst is not Vodacom or MTN, or even Cell C with Oger with their deep pockets. They are going to have to be very smart about this. This can make or break them.
iBurst has a history of using spectrum in unauthorised way. They have already announced that they have no current plans for national coverage. So I guess they will launch small LTE network if few areas and they will use this spectrum for their established business-to-business solutions. Typical coper up operation, no benefit for general public.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
iBurst has a history of using spectrum in unauthorised way. They have already announced that they have no current plans for national coverage. So I guess they will launch small LTE network if few areas and they will use this spectrum for their established business-to-business solutions. Typical coper up operation, no benefit for general public.
iBurst now has a new owner.

Time will tell.

sajunky

Honorary Master
See t&c by ICASA. They know that changing the ownership was just a strategic move to delay deployement of the cellular network. iBurst use this spectrum for Business-to-Business solutions and they will continue to do so, unless it is taken from them. It can happen soon, as ICASA maintains that outstanding licensing obligations remain unchanged.

kianm

Honorary Master
Simpson-Craib said it would be ideal to move the current iBurst subscribers to an LTE network. However, it is not a certainty at this stage.
If they do so i think this might actually revive them and gain more interest. As is i don't know how they are managing to stay in business