ICASA caused massive damage, highlights industry players

Nessie

And as far as I know we have yet to have a press release from iBurst - surely spin doesn't take that long.

From their Facebook page
WBS Network Outages Update:
We refer to the network outages and the confiscation of the WBS network equipment including removal of core fibre switches that took place yesterday which resulted in the disruption of services to the iBurst customers.
Negotiations between WBS and ICASA are still in process and once a resolution has been reached we will provide feedback.
iBurst would like to sincerely apologise to its valued customers for the inconvenience and assure them that we are working tirelessly to resolve and restore all affected services.

daveza

Honorary Master
WBS Network Outages Update:
We refer to the network outages and the confiscation of the WBS network equipment including removal of core fibre switches that took place yesterday which resulted in the disruption of services to the iBurst customers.
Negotiations between WBS and ICASA are still in process and once a resolution has been reached we will provide feedback.
iBurst would like to sincerely apologise to its valued customers for the inconvenience and assure them that we are working tirelessly to resolve and restore all affected services.

I'm looking for the apology for telling big fat porkies to their clients.

Did they really think they could fob them off with ' power failures' ?

Markd

Expert Member
It's unfortunate that the ICASA action has impacted so many people, and perhaps it could have been handled a bit better, but seriously, it seems like iBurst were knowingly in the wrong for several months.In my experience iBurst are largely incompetent from a customer/end-user perspective and part of me hopes that this action will eradicate a seemingly unscrupulous provider of internet services. Ultimately if they paid their bills they wouldnt have had the kit pulled, and their wouldnt have been an impact on anyone. ICASA may be ridiculous in the way they actioned this, but iBurst were the route cause of the action happening, and not the other way around - or at least thats how it seems at the moment!

GlibReaper

Because ICASA is failing on other things, that doesn't mean some companies must do things illegal, fact WBS/Iburst are using a spectrum that is not theirs and not paying for it and that is breaking the law,

+1
And would iBurst be as understanding to any of THEIR clients if they stop paying as some people seem to want ICASA to be to iBurst?

F

Fudzy

Must admit, I'm quite curious about the amount of focus techcentral are giving this story but they're doing a good job.

Rinkhals

I'm looking for the apology for telling big fat porkies to their clients.

Did they really think they could fob them off with ' power failures' ?

Damage limitation.

This action by ICASA could well drive iBurst out of business.

As far as I can see, no notice was given by ICASA for their actions while negotiations regarding the payment shortfall was ongoing, ICASA sought instead to damage iBurst, very probably irreversibly.

Perhaps someone well-connected in the ruling party is on hand to take over iBurst's bandwidth allocation?

It would make rather more sense to come to some arrangement with their customer to enable them to pay any shortfall rather than put them out of business so that they cannot pay anything at all.

Maybe a brown envelope to Minister Pule's boyfriend could have obviated all this palaver?