ICASA - Consumer complaints process

ellipsis

Ellipsis Regulatory Solutions
Company Rep
[This follows on from Consumer Complaints - A Guide.]

A complaint can be escalated to ICASA, by calling 011 566 3000, faxing 011 566 3004 or emailing consumer@icasa.org.za. A complaint will have to be filed in writing.

According to ICASA, receipt of the complaint will be acknowledged by the Consumer Affairs Division within 2 working days, providing a reference number and designating a responsible officer. The complaint will be forwarded to the service provider within 2 working days, with a response required within 14 working days. If the complainant is not satisfied with the response, the matter may be sent to the Complaints and Compliance Committee (CCC) for adjudication.

For further information see http://www.icasa.org.za/Complaints/tabid/66/Default.aspx.

entrepr

Expert Member
Thanks Ellipsis, that's really useful information.

Has anyone had experience whether or not ICASA is managing this process effectively?

ellipsis

Ellipsis Regulatory Solutions
Company Rep
Hi entrepr,

You can see from an overview of a test case here that they do not seem to be monitoring or responding to complaints. The OP sent mails to the Chairperson as well, which were ignored.
I had sent mail with regard to that complaint as well, to which I had no response.

Short answer: Doesn't seem like a useful avenue to pursue at this point.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yip - ICASA are keen to prove just how pointless they are.

DaVirus

I have been mailing ICASA since February following a 15 month old spat with Neotel. I actually documented the entire history and provided them with all the proof.
All they have to do is read a 23 page document and kick some Neotel ass.
Unfortunately, it seems that all our complaints fall on deaf ears.

If only we had the ability to take non performers out on the street and shoot them... That would change views on service in this country!

steel_dog

Dudes... ICASA isn't effective... however if you are... they are.
I had a complaint lodged against Telkom, which ICASA acknowledged, did nothing about, I queried, they tried and completely confused the situation, then forgot about it, and closed it 'cause Telkom told them to, re-opened it because I threw my toys and escalated, gave them a talking to, and Telkom eventually responded, gave them a talking to, and had my problem resolved and was credited for 6-months of ADSL rental. Well done to them all!

Moral of the story... use the system. Hold them accountable. You'll get what you need.

@DaVirus - dude 15 months!!! Hold ICASA to account. Escalate dude. Don't deal with the plebs. Move up the chain fast!

G'luck,
SD.

ST46

So, after 2 years of poor service from MTNSP, who will not let me speak to someone at MTN (Network) I decided to go the ICASA route as well on 10 August 2010 - synopsis of my complaint against MTN:

1. Base stations removed in my area (end May 2008)
2. No signal to my data card (poor signal to cell phone too, could only use phone outdoors)
3. No data connection available indoors on my computer (confirmed by MTNSP technician visiting my home)
4. Data Bills 3 x higher than average – showing data transfer cost when NO signal available (Jun, July – 8 August 2008 -Problem on-going for 2.5 months)
6. MTNSP fitted antenna and signal was restored and billing returned to normal (from 8 August 2008)

Billing originates from MTNSP, they have verified that their billing is accurate according to files received from MTN Network.

I would like to meet with MTN Network to explain to me this phenomenon that without a connection, I can triple my bill????

The first response I got was on the 21 of December 2010 - Re: MTN Complaint

We hereby acknowledge receipt of your letter of complaint. We apologise for the delayed response. We will analyse the merits of your case and send your complaint to the network operator in question.

on the 25 Jan 2011, ICASA forwarded me a letter from MTNSP to say they could find no problem and had sent me URLs to prove this (which they had not) so clearlyICASA didn't even read the full contents of the complaint I sent through.

So I informed ICASA of this on the same day (and forwarded the same email twice after that) yet only received a response on 28 Feb to ask when I could meet with them & MTN, to which I replied the same day that I was available anytime during the week of 14th – 18th of March.

I received a reply on the 5 April Apologies for the short notice, we are enquiring if you can be able to attend meeting with MTN which is scheduled for tomorrow at 9am,at ICASA’s offices Block C, Pinmill Farm,164 Katherine Street, Sandton.

*facepalm* I am in CT FFS! Every single email I sent has made reference to this, my complaint was around lack of signal in CT - how much clearer can I make it!!

Regardless, I replied on the same day with "I live in Cape Town! So yes, tomorrow is very short notice, and unless MTN is prepared to foot the bill for an airline ticket, I will not be able to attend. This raises a HUGE concern regarding how my query is being dealt with as all the information sent through to you to date has made clear reference to the fact that I live in Cape Town

Despite having sent this through to ICASA an additional 2 times since 5 April...I have still not had a reply (yet I have read reports from both the email addresses to which I have sent it)

So, where to from here?

NikkiBodenstein

I filed several complaints regarding a billing issue with Cell C - no response whatsoever, not even a confirmation email saying they received my complaint.

Gozzy

Yup, I admit, I've also logged plenty complaints with ICASA regarding neotel billing me R999 pm after they had confirm I had signal in my area, alas when I got to my area with the prime unlimited device, no signal at all....R999pm x 5 for NO connection.

NOTHING was done by ICASA, bunch of useless idiots, I wonder if big companies bribe ICASA to do just that...NOTHING.

TeamICASA

[This follows on from Consumer Complaints - A Guide.]

A complaint can be escalated to ICASA, by calling 011 566 3000, faxing 011 566 3004 or emailing consumer@icasa.org.za. A complaint will have to be filed in writing.

According to ICASA, receipt of the complaint will be acknowledged by the Consumer Affairs Division within 2 working days, providing a reference number and designating a responsible officer. The complaint will be forwarded to the service provider within 2 working days, with a response required within 14 working days. If the complainant is not satisfied with the response, the matter may be sent to the Complaints and Compliance Committee (CCC) for adjudication.

For further information see http://www.icasa.org.za/Complaints/tabid/66/Default.aspx.
Our contact details have changed
Tel: 012 568 3000
email: consumer@icasa.org.za
Complaint form download link - https://www.icasa.org.za/uploads/files/Consumer-Complaints-Form.pdf

Online complaints: https://www.icasa.org.za/pages/consumer-complaints
For further info: https://www.icasa.org.za/pages/consumer-complaints-procedure