ICASA issues new VANS licences

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
7,329
Reaction score
134
Location
Mi CASA
fyi

from www,icasa.org.za

ICASA ISSUES LICENCES FOR VALUE ADDED NETWORK SERVICES
(VANS) UNDER THE NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Johannesburg, 25 August 2005 - The Independent Communications Authority of
South Africa (ICASA) has finalised processing applications for VANS under the new
terms and conditions which were published on 20 May 2005.
All applicants are informed that the licences will be ready for collection at ICASA, Block
C from Friday, 26 August 2005 to Friday, 2 September 2005 during office hours. Kindly
note, that proper identification, such as your identity document or driver’s license will be
required.
All licenses not collected during the stated timeframe will be posted to the respective
applicants.
ICASA wishes to thank all the applicants for their patience and support whilst the new
application procedures for VANS were being finalised.
Details on the new terms and conditions for VANS and application forms are available
on ICASA’s website at www.icasa.org.za
The physical address is as follows:
164 Katherine Street
Block C , Pinmill Farm
Sandton
2146
Telephone: (011) 321 8200
Enquiries may be directed to:
Mrs. Nsimirhe Sindi Mr. Peter Mailula
[email protected] OR [email protected]
 
Wifi VAR

One of my clients want to operate as a VAR for a company licenced to sell wifi connectivity -
1. can one sell wireless connectivity as a VAR?
2.Is it illegal to sell wireless connectivity without a licence?
3.Can one buy bandwith?
4. What is the international going rate and cost of 1mg upload and 1mg download - what is the difference if the y quote up to 1mg and 1mg up and download.
:confused:
 
jbad said:
One of my clients want to operate as a VAR for a company licenced to sell wifi connectivity -
1. can one sell wireless connectivity as a VAR?
2.Is it illegal to sell wireless connectivity without a licence?
3.Can one buy bandwith?
4. What is the international going rate and cost of 1mg upload and 1mg download - what is the difference if the y quote up to 1mg and 1mg up and download.
:confused:
yeah me too

assuming VAR = value added reseller
1.you can only sell for a licensed connectivity provider e.g. iburst by contractual arrangement
2.very much so
3.yes, but
4.no idea
 
jbad said:
4. What is the international going rate and cost of 1mg upload and 1mg download - what is the difference if the y quote up to 1mg and 1mg up and download.
:confused:
me too... mg=milligram. maybe you were looking for MyPharmacy.co.za:D

Seriously though: Please retype your 4th question 'cos it isn't clear what you want to know.
 
Sorry for mg (rover)? - I was thinking mg = mega whatever

If they say you must compare appels with appels. i.e. If IBurst quote up to 1mb connectivity speed and the competitor say remember we give 1mb upload and 1mb download speed -do I presume correctly they say you are getting 2mb? I am not certain about all the terminology, I hope you understand
 
Thanks Dominic
Yes VAR = value added reseller.

So if I to sell i.e. under the IBurst licence, can I use my own company name or can I only sell under the IBurst brand name
 
jbad said:
Sorry for mg (rover)? - I was thinking mg = mega whatever

If they say you must compare appels with appels. i.e. If IBurst quote up to 1mb connectivity speed and the competitor say remember we give 1mb upload and 1mb download speed -do I presume correctly they say you are getting 2mb? I am not certain about all the terminology, I hope you understand
usually the download speed is stated as connection speed. thus ADSL 512 = 512kbps down but (theoretically)256kbps up.
 
Up to 1Mb/s is in actual fact theorectical and misleading. If they say dedicated 64k, is it better than shared bandwith?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X