• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Important note when upgrading from ADSL to VDSL

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I am on a 10Mbs uncapped ADSL line. Line is stable and working well. Typical ping is 40ms, download speed is between 8,60-9,40 Mb and upload usually around 0,6Mb. This is using the Speedtest App on my iPhone.

Telkom website says VDSL is available in my area and my modem/router is capable of handling VDSL. Given it is only a 10Mb line, is there any point (or harm) in requesting that they change me over to VDSL? I would love to upgrade to a 20Mb or faster line to make the most of my 4K TV using Netflix, but can't justify the extra R200/month cost right now. Telkom is my ISP.
Do you mean the Telkom map? That's incorrect, they broke it in one of their reworks, my friend with 2Mbps max sync can supposedly get it as VDSL which is incorrect.
Telkom does not offer VDSL below 20Mbps and if your sync is just stably getting 10Mbps there is no point as VDSL uses a higher frequency band (on top of the ADSL2+ one) to increase throughput.
If you would state your line stats, I could give a betree recommendation.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Mweb doesn't seem to offer vdsl only 20mbps adsl
:confused:
That has nothing to do with Mweb, it's from OpenServe side.
There is no difference between 20Mbps ADSL or VDSL from the ISP point of view.
Your exchange supporting 20Mbps ADSL does not mean it can support VDSL.

beesboertjie

I am seriously considering upgrading my 2MB ADSL line to a 4MB or 10MB.
I am currently a telkom customer but I know there are ISP's out there that offer way better rates.
I just don't know who's the better one to go with.
Any advice?
Hi MrTwoTall, I am yet to find another ISP with better rates than Telkom. Telkom’s UnlimitedHome is the best thing since sliced bread, you simply won’t beat that …

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/home/plan/fibre-uncapped-internet/

Telkom-sliced bread-UNLIMITEDhome-ADSL-R599.png

The only thing better than UNLIMITEDhome 4Mbps is UNLIMITEDhome 10Mbps. Then you also get a FREE Android TV Media Box. That’s even better than toast with butter and jam.

android-tv-media-box.png

Last edited:

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Yes a vlan is needed for the pppoe connection
Thank you.

So other than the 835 Vlan setting, the 801.1Q or whatever it is being enabled and priority set to 0 - got the settings somewhere - nothing else funky then.

Got converted this morning so hoping it works.

paul5186

Expert Member
Thank you.

So other than the 835 Vlan setting, the 801.1Q or whatever it is being enabled and priority set to 0 - got the settings somewhere - nothing else funky then.

Got converted this morning so hoping it works.
Yup confused the hell out of me for an hour. I have a tplink, and in the quick setup for vdsl you can select e.g afrihost or such. However in the quick setup it doesn't apply any vlan.

Blazzok

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I might be upgrading to VDSL soon. Apart from having to get a new router/modem for VDSL, is it necessary for the VDSL filter? Or can I go without one if I don't use a landline phone?

The reason I ask is because I don't see a VDSL specific filter anywhere? Tried Takealot, Raru, Wootware, etc.

Was also thinking about getting this router:
https://www.takealot.com/asus-dsl-ac52u-dual-band-802-11ac-wi-fi-adsl-vdsl-modem-router/PLID42988499
You can skip the filter if you don't have a phone. ADSL/VDSL filter is pretty much the same as far as I am aware, they just block the higher/lower frequencies depending on which port you plug into.
I have an ADSL line and it's got a VDSL certified filter as I didn't bother swapping it out from the Pace modem.

EDIT:

Do you not like TP-Link?
https://www.wootware.co.za/tp-link-...-wireless-gigabit-vdsl-adsl-modem-router.html
Above is cheaper and has double the 802.11ac throughput. Haven't used either of those routers though, so can't comment past the price and specs.

Last edited:

DaDon

Hiya,

I have just upgraded my router ( poor D-Link DSL-224 just died on me last week ) to the Asus DSL-AC52u.
I dunno, im feeling this router is a bit slugish, does anybody have this router and have opionions about it?
Attached are my stats with this router...

Capture2.PNG

Sorry for the double post ;)

Cheers
TiA
D

Nick333

Honorary Master
We currently have 10meg adsl, but the Telkom website says there is up to 40 Meg vdsl available in our area. I'm a bit weary of that "up to". What are the chances that we upgrade and still end up with speeds around 10 Meg and Telkom telling us its a best effort service or some such?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
We currently have 10meg adsl, but the Telkom website says there is up to 40 Meg vdsl available in our area. I'm a bit weary of that "up to". What are the chances that we upgrade and still end up with speeds around 10 Meg and Telkom telling us its a best effort service or some such?
The way they do the best of is it has to be faster than the next speed down, so if you go for 40Mbps you will get at least 21Mbps and if that is the case you just move to 20Mbps.

BTTB

I'm on 10Mb ADSL, I pay rental to Telkom and my ISP is WebAfrica.

Can't get through to anyone at Telkom to query an upgrade to 20 or 40Mb VDSL. The consultants haven't a clue, the one was going through the Telkom Area Checker which is wrong anyway as it says ADSL is not available and I have had it forever already.

Anyone have a contact I can talk to that knows what VDSL is for one.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm on 10Mb ADSL, I pay rental to Telkom and my ISP is WebAfrica.

Can't get through to anyone at Telkom to query an upgrade to 20 or 40Mb VDSL. The consultants haven't a clue, the one was going through the Telkom Area Checker which is wrong anyway as it says ADSL is not available and I have had it forever already.

Anyone have a contact I can talk to that knows what VDSL is for one.
Try contacting [MENTION=148423]Telkom[/MENTION]SA and/or Telkom's twitter