Importing from China, NRCS

DanielSon7

HI,
I imported a tablet from China via DHL to test a R&D project at my Company. I received the tablet at my door step with no issues. The testing went well so I ordered 10 more to test communication between tablets and controllers. DHL contacted me and said Customs wants all the documentation, proof of payments, clearing instructions, DHL costs and packaging list.
The items are now with customs @ R10p/d and the NRCS will not release the items without the proper certification and a LOA. The tablets comply with all the EN standards but not IEC. They want a accredited institute to write a deceleration to say that the EN60950-1 falls under the same safety standards as IEC60950-1.
What can I do to get the certification without spending more than what the items are worth. How does this Chinese malls import electronics?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Just ran into the same problem with my media players :(

Hopefully supplier can supply me with the test report to have it certified.

Customs are getting really strict now.

Sensorei

Executive Member
I've had this problem before with cameras I imported to sell. I did a lot of research and finally managed to get the cameras without a letter of authority.

An LOA is not required for importing electronics running off 5 volts (USB powered), but the wall chargers using 220 volt wall sockets that are supplied with the electronic device must meet certain standards for approval. So as long as the cameras I import are without the non-approved charger (220V to 5V micro usb charger), or are supplied with IEC 60950 compliant chargers then I may import the cameras without any LOA being required.

After bringing this up the NCRS gave me my cameras but had to hold onto the chargers. I had the option to get an LOA for the chargers or have them destroyed.

Would it then be possible to remove the chargers from the boxes and in future I can source the chargers locally as they are standard micro usb phone chargers

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I've had this problem before with cameras I imported to sell. I did a lot of research and finally managed to get the cameras without a letter of authority.

An LOA is not required for importing electronics running off 5 volts (USB powered), but the wall chargers using 220 volt wall sockets that are supplied with the electronic device must meet certain standards for approval. So as long as the cameras I import are without the non-approved charger (220V to 5V micro usb charger), or are supplied with IEC 60950 compliant chargers then I may import the cameras without any LOA being required.

After bringing this up the NCRS gave me my cameras but had to hold onto the chargers. I had the option to get an LOA for the chargers or have them destroyed.

Would it then be possible to remove the chargers from the boxes and in future I can source the chargers locally as they are standard micro usb phone chargers

Will keep that in mind, might have to do that also. I see the cost is only R1800, I am willing to pay it to get it sorted as I got good deal on it.

Waiting to hear from the NRCS guy to come to back me now. I do have his direct number and email address.

I might just tell them send it back to sender and refund the sender the shipping fees and try again. I use Dhgate to import it and the seller only get the money when once I receive the goods. Dhgate acts as middle man and keep the money, until I am happy.

Sensorei

Executive Member
The cost is not so bad. It's the admin backlog they have for LOA approvals which means you can wait 3-4 weeks before you get your stuff released.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So far the person at NRCS was quite helpful and willing to help me out.

He said worse case is, I have ship the power adapter to PTA and they will test it and certify it for me at a cost.

Once NRCS has my package he will contact me again, so that we can have meeting to help me through the process.

Hopefully I can get test certification from the Chinese supplier, that will save me time and money.

Edit: Received the test report, looks good!

Last edited:

Natell

Hi Where did you find this info to tell the NRCS to let go of your product. I have a 5v hair tool USB that they confiscated and they don't believe this thread... Is there an act or whatever that I can show them?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Hi Where did you find this info to tell the NRCS to let go of your product. I have a 5v hair tool USB that they confiscated and they don't believe this thread... Is there an act or whatever that I can show them?
Go to the office where it is held, maybe they willing to assist. The guy in CPT office, did assist me with it.

I never got my LOA certificate to import more, but I my goods was released.

Natell

Contact T.E.S.T Africa, on 012 3491145 or email Gerhard Holtzhausen on gerhard@testafrica.co.za (for IEC60950 related items) or Sarel Mare' on sarel@testafrica.co.za (for IEC60335 related items), they will be able to assist with the relevant reports and declarations as well as any advice.

I phoned them a while ago. They are unbelievably expensive. Quoted me R28,000. I am paying R8000 for the exact same report in China through my supplier. I will never use them as it's too expensive and will rather use the suppliers' suggested testing labs that are accredited and accepted here.

tetrasect

Expert Member
This is pretty ridiculous... this gov thinks the way to become a first world country is to adopt their import standards? FAIL on every level.

sly

NCRS is a pain, I have R1mln worth of inventory sitting at bond store, packaging was wrong doesn’t comply with regulations, packaging corrected need to submit new approved packaging sample then I can start selling.. huge learning curve, did the corrections myself and found really smart people to help with getting the right box material

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I phoned them a while ago. They are unbelievably expensive. Quoted me R28,000. I am paying R8000 for the exact same report in China through my supplier. I will never use them as it's too expensive and will rather use the suppliers' suggested testing labs that are accredited and accepted here.
I was quoted around R50000 few years back for media player power adapter.

My stuff did get released as I got the report from china, but it was not good enough so never got certification, but they did release the goods.