Ink tank printer suggestion

joker08

Expert Member
Looking for a cheap ink tank printer for home use.
Thinking of buying this one. Is this a good choice or should I go for something different?

Park@82

Honorary Master
I would go for something with wireless and mobile printing so that you can print from your phone/tablet etc + you get to print from anywhere in your home... Assuming you have a wifi network at home.

If you want to go with Brother, I would go with the DCP-T510W instead

If you are not in a hurry, wait for some specials/promos.
I bought an Epson L3150 for R2600 but then got R350 cash back (Epson promo) so I effectively paid R2250. (this was in July).

I bought an Epson L3050 for R2000 at the end of November from Hi-Fi corp (online only special). Makro had it for R2500 on promo at the same time.

Specs on the L3050 is almost identical to the L3150. The L3150 supports Google cloud printing but I've never needed to use it anyway (but nice to have I guess). The L3050 uses 70ml ink bottles and it is slightly more cumbersome to refill the tanks vs 65ml on the L3150 and slightly easier to refill. At R2k the L3050 was totally worth it. The L3050 feels a little more solid in terms of build quality IMO.

The L3050 also came with 3 black ink bottles vs 2 on the L3150 (apart from the 3 color bottles included on both) so it was a lot better value for money.
Replacement Ink is around R140 per bottle right now.

You'll need to register your printer online in order to get a 3 year warranty with certain Epson printers.

The ability to print & scan via smartphone is awesome.

Last edited:

joker08

Expert Member
not in a hurry, but I have some 200 pages that I need to print and then get attested from the police station and finally scan it so that I can email them. I thought this might be the chance to buy a printer, because in any case, I am looking at spending around R500 on prints and scans.

hellfire

Honorary Master
Looking for a cheap ink tank printer for home use.
Thinking of buying this one. Is this a good choice or should I go for something different?
I have the Canon G3400.
Quality is great and it was pretty easy to setup and use.
My issue though is that my household doesn't print that much and something (ink tubes / print-heads / I really don't know) keeps blocking due to the infrequent use and I have to send the printer in for a service.
I'd guess that this will be an issue with all printers of this type. Ink-jet cartridges probably had the same issue, but when it stopped working you just changed the cartridge and then could print again.
After chatting to the service agents, I'm going to start printing weekly - the ink is cheap enough that it's worth doing this to keep the system 'clear'.

joker08

Expert Member
I have the Canon G3400.
Quality is great and it was pretty easy to setup and use.
My issue though is that my household doesn't print that much and something (ink tubes / print-heads / I really don't know) keeps blocking due to the infrequent use and I have to send the printer in for a service.
I'd guess that this will be an issue with all printers of this type. Ink-jet cartridges probably had the same issue, but when it stopped working you just changed the cartridge and then could print again.
After chatting to the service agents, I'm going to start printing weekly - the ink is cheap enough that it's worth doing this to keep the system 'clear'.
do they come home for the service or do u have to send the printer to canon ?

joker08

Expert Member
How about this one - hp ink tank wireless 415, game has it on special for 2000.

Magandroid

Expert Member
I would probably only look at the Canon range of printers. Also make sure that whichever printer you do decide on has separate colour cartridges/tanks and oppsed to those with a tri-colour cartridge. Canon does replacement ink tanks as opposed to cartridges which works out much cheaper in the long run.

Totempole

Expert Member
I still have an old Brother DCP-J140w printer. The print quality is pretty lacklustre (similar to the Epson range using the same type of ink), but generic ink tanks are like R25 each. They're good quality printers, so for that reason I can recommend them, but Canon definitely has superior print quality and colour vibrance using the same ink system.

joker08

Expert Member
I still have an old Brother DCP-J140w printer. The print quality is pretty lacklustre (similar to the Epson range using the same type of ink), but generic ink tanks are like R25 each. They're good quality printers, so for that reason I can recommend them, but Canon definitely has superior print quality and colour vibrance using the same ink system.
should have read this before I bought the Brother. Print quality sucks. I will mostly use it for a month and then try to sell it and get a cannon.

joker08

Expert Member
I tried out printing on glossy paper, chose the highest quality settings. The results were good.
I stuck a piece of fridge magnet to it and put it on my fridge.
but now after a month, the color has started to fade. its very visible on the darker areas of the pic. Anyone else facing this problem with your printer ?