Inspect your ATM before drawing money

cavedog

Honorary Master
Fnb cardless cash withdrawal ftw.
One of the biggest fraud there is. Learned that when when I draw money. Someone calling me on the left and someone on the right took my card. Prompted with an enter cellphone number screen when I looked back. New to FNB at the time entered my number and a few seconds later R10 000 gone.... 4 guys in the queue also disappeared.

When the same thing happened 2 years later I knew exactly what was going on and warned others about it and got attacked. Car mirror and windscreen smashed in Centurion by 2 guys driving a brand new white golf 7 no plates. All caught on CCTV at the mall but that was it.

Cancelled FNB account and now with Tymebank.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
One of the biggest fraud there is. Learned that when when I draw money. Someone calling me on the left and someone on the right took my card. Prompted with an enter cellphone number screen when I looked back. New to FNB at the time entered my number and a few seconds later R10 000 gone.... 4 guys in the queue also disappeared.

When the same thing happened 2 years later I knew exactly what was going on and warned others about it and got attacked. Car mirror and windscreen smashed in Centurion by 2 guys driving a brand new white golf 7 no plates. All caught on CCTV at the mall but that was it.

You obviously don't know how it works then. You need to pre arrange the withdrawal through the app first, then put in your cell number and a pin that is sent to you.

More likely you put your card pin into the prompt and they then used your card and pin to clean you out.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Sounds to me like you had no idea what the hell you were doing.

Can’t blame FNB.

And you can’t steal a card if the card wasn’t involved so your story makes no sense.

It’s CARDLESS cash withdrawal for a reason.

Even that being said, just don’t draw cash at all and problem is solved.

cavedog

Honorary Master
You obviously don't know how it works then. You need to pre arrange the withdrawal through the app first, then put in your cell number and a pin that is sent to you.

More likely you put your card pin into the prompt and they then used your card and pin to clean you out.
Well they were a team of 5 people. Saw the cctv footage. Not sure but I was left with no card and I was at a FNB atm in Empangeni and money withdrawn with 2 transactions R5000 each from ATM in Durban.

Sounds to me like you had no idea what the hell you were doing.

Can’t blame FNB.

And you can’t steal a card if the card wasn’t involved so your story makes no sense.

It’s CARDLESS cash withdrawal for a reason.

Even that being said, just don’t draw cash at all and problem is solved.

I did not blame FNB and I knew what I was doing but not familiar with the FNB atm tbh because I never really used it. I was with capitec before and when you withdraw from an FNB atm with a Capitec card most of these extra options were not shown obviously. I was distracted by someone calling and pulling my arm when I realized something is wrong it was too late. They waited to strike right after I entered my pin.

I did get my money back from FNB though so I am thankful for that. My dad is a Lieutenant colonel at the police station so he helped me a lot to get the CCTV footage get that case opened and all that forwarded to FNB.

chefdude98

Expert Member
This is so ridiculous.

A bank handles the maintenance of THEIR i.e Atm equipment.

Do the banks not install cameras at atms or some kind of alarm that detects when a machine has been tampered with?

I never have cash on me cos I swipe my card 99.9% of the time. On the seldom occasion that I draw cash, it is usually at Checkers, Pick n Pay etc.

ATMs don't have R20 & R10 notes, so I"m forced to draw at till.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is so ridiculous.

A bank handles the maintenance of THEIR i.e Atm equipment.

Do the banks not install cameras at atms or some kind of alarm that detects when a machine has been tampered with?

I never have cash on me cos I swipe my card 99.9% of the time. On the seldom occasion that I draw cash, it is usually at Checkers, Pick n Pay etc.

ATMs don't have R20 & R10 notes, so I"m forced to draw at till.
How will the cameras you're mentioning help? The surface of the machine is only being superficially tampered with, do you want the machine to raise an alarm every time it is touched?

YaLiRo_M

It's been almost two year now with the cardless cash invention from fnb. Its was a hack of evolutionary invention... With the addition of Samsung Pay and it's own FNB App Payment, you rarely ever to carry a card!!!! I don't even remember the last I used a card to withdraw money!!!

All Banks should get in on the band wagon or create their own innovation seeing that most ATM are never guarded and are costing them dearly with refunds!!!

FNB open up the field, others should have improved or perfected the idea by now!!!

chefdude98

Expert Member
How will the cameras you're mentioning help? The surface of the machine is only being superficially tampered with, do you want the machine to raise an alarm every time it is touched?
I want the Banks to be more proactive for THEIR equipment & have a plan in place.

Thor

Honorary Master
So it is my job to do the bank's work now?
They have CCTV at all ATMs. (They should have.)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I want the Banks to be more proactive for THEIR equipment & have a plan in place.
Whatever they do, the criminals will find a fix, the problem is the users. Don't get distracted by anyone at an ATM, and feel for anything that is not very properly attached.

Thor

Honorary Master
Still wondering how CCTV will help except for something nice to look at after the fact?
Analytics should be able to pick up suspicious activity.

And the banks make more than enough money to innovate beyond the physical card.