Install Windows 7 from Bootable USB drive - GPT Partition issue on Windows 8 machine

DextrousDave

Hi All

I have made a bootable USB drive on my Windows 7 machine using a Windows 7 x64 ISO file (4.6GB) and Power ISO. I want to install Windows 7 on another partition on my new Windows 8 laptop

When I want to boot from the USB drive on my new Windows 8 x64 laptop, it does not pick up the bootable USB drice. However, I changed the Boot Mode to Legacy with UEFI as 1st option, so now it picks up the USB drive in the Boot menu

All fine, but when I want to install Windows 7 on a new formatted Partition, it tell me that it cannot install windows on a GPT Partitioned Drive.

How can I fix this? I cannot format the partition to MBR scheme, it does not give me the option, not even from diskmgmt.msc

Thank you

agentrfr

Executive Member
Install Windows 7 first, then Windows 8 second. Windows 8 will install a newer boot manager over the older windows 7 one.

As far as I know it cannot be done the other way around.

DextrousDave

You see that is the problem.

Windows 8 is already installed and I want to install Win 7 alongside it, but on another partition

NomNom

Executive Member
You see that is the problem.

Windows 8 is already installed and I want to install Win 7 alongside it, but on another partition

You can't, Windows 7 does not support GPT partition format.

You either keep Windows 8 and the recovery partition with it or you delete the partition and lose the recovery partition (I guess you could clone the recovery partition if you wanted) and install Windows 7.

If you want to install Windows 7 you will have to delete all the partitions currently on the hard drive which will then give you the ability to install Windows 7. If you still can't do it take out the hard drive and connect it to your Pc either internally or externally with an enclosure and format it that way.

Just keep in mind that unless you clone the recovery partition you will lose it.

Update: Seems you can actually dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, BUT you have to have Windows 7 installed first not the other way around. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408280,00.asp

Last edited:

DextrousDave

Thank you NomNom. You are right. What i did was to format the whole disk creating an MBR Partititon table and then I created a partition to install windows 7 on. The problem was that my Windows installation iso file was not a uefi bootable iso file, so I had to reformat with MBR. You cannot have both MBR(BIOS) and GPT(UEFI) on the same DISK.

So, you can have windows 8 on uefi on one disk and windows 7 on BIOS(legacy support - since the MoBo is still uefi) on the other disk, but if you only have one disk, you have to do it like you said - win first, then win8

agentrfr

Executive Member
Thank you NomNom. You are right. What i did was to format the whole disk creating an MBR Partititon table and then I created a partition to install windows 7 on. The problem was that my Windows installation iso file was not a uefi bootable iso file, so I had to reformat with MBR. You cannot have both MBR(BIOS) and GPT(UEFI) on the same DISK.

So, you can have windows 8 on uefi on one disk and windows 7 on BIOS(legacy support - since the MoBo is still uefi) on the other disk, but if you only have one disk, you have to do it like you said - win first, then win8

You should be able to clone your hard drive with clonezilla, reformat and install 7 on a partition, install 8 on another partition, then replace the 8 installation with the image you made earlier with clonezilla.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I'm 65% sure there was a way to trick it into installing off the upgrade media....

Hi All

I have made a bootable USB drive on my Windows 7 machine using a Windows 7 x64 ISO file (4.6GB) and Power ISO. I want to install Windows 7 on another partition on my new Windows 8 laptop

When I want to boot from the USB drive on my new Windows 8 x64 laptop, it does not pick up the bootable USB drice. However, I changed the Boot Mode to Legacy with UEFI as 1st option, so now it picks up the USB drive in the Boot menu

All fine, but when I want to install Windows 7 on a new formatted Partition, it tell me that it cannot install windows on a GPT Partitioned Drive.

How can I fix this? I cannot format the partition to MBR scheme, it does not give me the option, not even from diskmgmt.msc

Thank you

Actually, there IS a way, I installed Window 7 on a Windows 8 hard drive. I used AOMIE Partition Assistant, which can convert the Hard Drive from GPT to MBR and vice versa. Only takes a minute or so with NO DATA LOSS! I then used EasyBCD to add both entries to the start up. Absolutely painless. Do a search for AOMIE Partition Assistant on Softarchive.le The portable version is approx 22Mb and works like a charm. Enjoy!