Interesting Tech Startups - PTA/JHB

noob_saibot

Hello everyone,

Do any of you know of any interesting or 'cool' tech startups in the PTA, Centurion, JHB (Braam and surrounds) areas?

Although I know they're out there, things seem pretty quiet this side (compared to all the noise from Cape Town).

_________________________________________​

Also, if anybody is interested, do you have solid JavaScript skills? (Enough to build a plugin similar to DisQus or any other JS site-plugin).

Peace.

Last edited:

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Don't know about anything but I got tired of having a whole bunch of cool ideas then getting stifled because I can't do them myself - I'm enrolling for Bsc at Unisa in April.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Don't know about anything but I got tired of having a whole bunch of cool ideas then getting stifled because I can't do them myself - I'm enrolling for Bsc at Unisa in April.

And im pretty sure 99% of those cool ideas are already taken. Just like a few years ago i thought up a cool idea for p2p transfers. Start doing some research and magnet links already existed:p

GhostSixFour

And im pretty sure 99% of those cool ideas are already taken. Just like a few years ago i thought up a cool idea for p2p transfers. Start doing some research and magnet links already existed:p

Not that I could find - but either way, I'm still going to do the degree to better myself and be able to take advantage if those ideas aren't taken yet.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Not that I could find - but either way, I'm still going to do the degree to better myself and be able to take advantage if those ideas aren't taken yet.

Implying you need a degree to execute ideas :confused: unless they are highly specialized do a partnership or joint venture. The longer you wait the more you will lose out.

shauntir

ROFL. Only a few years ago you say :p

Yep, most ideas are more or less taken. Otherwise, they are derivatives. In any case, most ideas can still do well even though they may be taken. Execution, marketing and creating a superior product goes a long way.

@GhostSixFour, you should definitely improve your skills. However, semaphore is correct. Look for some form of partnership or something to get your idea turned into reality.

semaphore

Honorary Master

Yep, most ideas are more or less taken. Otherwise, they are derivatives. In any case, most ideas can still do well even though they may be taken. Execution, marketing and creating a superior product goes a long way.

@GhostSixFour, you should definitely improve your skills. However, semaphore is correct. Look for some form of partnership or something to get your idea turned into reality.

Well by few years ago it was about 10 or so. Lol.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member

I'm fairly certain neither of you actually understand what ideas are.

If you think that they are finite in number and that they have all been used up then frankly, you simply don't understand what they are.

semaphore

Honorary Master

If you think that they are finite in number and that they have all been used up then frankly, you simply don't understand what they are.

Oh really? Im going to make a social platform to connect my friends oh wait. MySpace did it, facebook did it, connect u did it. Mm i think ill make a short message service to allow for microposts, oh wait twitter did it, pounce did it. Mmm i think ill make a exchange platform for technology and programming on wait stackoverflow did it.

No where did anyone say there is a finite number, however with the amount of people brain storming constantly reduces the amount of new clever platforms or apps. And then you just get stupid platforms that just make no sense and should have never been conceived to begin with.

We understand perfectly fine.

Edit: And yes i know one can take an existing idea and enhance it, make it more user friendly, more feature rich. But at the end of the day that is still just rehashing an old idea.

Diaspora is an example of an existing platform and making it unique, but it never caught up and never went anywhere. But the code is nice to read and its a cool idea, but from a money perspective nope i believe it got an initial round of funding but then faded away.

Last edited:

shauntir

I'm fairly certain I know what an idea is. There may be a billion+ ideas yet none of them may be any good. Everyone has ideas. To be more specific, there a less good ideas now than say, 10 years ago.

GhostSixFour

Implying you need a degree to execute ideas :confused: unless they are highly specialized do a partnership or joint venture. The longer you wait the more you will lose out.

Not at all. And they aren't that specialized either.
I'm doing the degree for a couple of reasons, part of them being a new challenge and learning in a structured way - which I know I can do on my own, but why do all the work without the paper at the end of the day, plus, having the pressure from doing the degree is a big motivation for myself.

Otherwise, I'm doing it because I can and I won't need to approach anyone whenever something pops into my mind. Can execute and fail/succeed on my own.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I'm fairly certain I know what an idea is. There may be a billion+ ideas yet none of them may be any good. Everyone has ideas. To be more specific, there a less good ideas now than say, 10 years ago.

Yea... I'm going to stick to my guns here and say that you are clearly under a misconception as to what constitutes the set of thoughts referred to as ideas.

shauntir

Yea... I'm going to stick to my guns here and say that you are clearly under a misconception as to what constitutes the set of thoughts referred to as ideas.

Interesting. By your "own definition", you have just described ideas as a "set of thoughts". Meaning, an idea is any conglomeration of thoughts. Hence the reason why I say that there are less good ideas left.

Good to know you understand the definition of an idea.

shauntir

Not only that, that website is done in wordpress:p cant take seriously.

Ah wordpress. The one and only. I'd be honest, I would not use WP for anything more than a blog or plain site. That's what I use at the moment.

I will never dev in wordpress! Writing "classes" for widgets require you to close php tags and write html and then re-open php. God knows why people like this so much :confused:

phiber

Expert Member
We are in the process of getting my startup off the ground. Very small, self-funded and about to kick of building the MVP. Will post more details on the forum as soon as we get the MVP done :)