Intermittent internet connection over wireless

Highlander

Active Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
75
Originally posted this in software... but this might be a more appropriate place....

Been having this problem for the past couple of weeks.

I'll start browsing happily on a couple of sites, then all of a sudden, will get a page cannot be displayed error. I'll then refresh, either once or up to 10 times and the page will load. Sometimes not all the data on the page, but if I refresh again, it eventually does all load. Other times the same pages load first time perfectly. There is no pattern, i.e. happens on local and international sites, and on some occassions links will work fine and on others, those same links won't. The error happens instantaneously, i.e. no loading time so suspect it might be a DNS issue.

It happens with both IE8 and Firefox, but from what I can tell, only over wireless. The wireless connection is strong.

I also never lose connection to MSN, Skype, Voip client, and a continuous ping for IP or domain name never times out or interrupts. uTorrent also doesn't seem to drop any speed during this time.

I'm running XP and its on a Samsung Netbook, and SP3.

So whats changes since I last noticed it working perfectly. Some windows updates, updated the wireless driver - Atheros adapter (tried rolling back, but no difference). Also installed uTorrent, but the computer crashed right at the end. uTorrent works perfectly though, so didn't think this would affect it.

I've found some info regarding a Winsock and TCP/IP reset, but quite apprehensive to try this as I don't fully understand the implications.

Wireless Router/ modem is a Dlink DSL-2640u. I've updated the firmware, but that hasn't helped either.

My main PC connected via a network cable has never had this problem. If it is DNS, surely this would affect both the main PC and the wireless netbook - or does DNS behave differently over wireless.

Any suggestions would be hugely welcome as this is irritating me.

Just also experienced this issue while going to the router setup page, i.e. via the gateway IP address, so maybe not DNS.... er....help!
 
Last edited:

RockOn

Active Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
52
Sounds like an MTU/MRU issue, how are you dialing up to the ISP? Is your username stored in the router? Or are you attempting PPPoE tunnel over wireless?
Dont use WPA2 on XP SP3 if in doubt remove the encryption from the router and see if that helps.
You can also set your netbook to use static DNS like OpenDNS ie 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
What happens if you connect the Netbook with a cable?
 

Highlander

Active Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
75
The user name and password for the ISP is stored on the router, so not using a dial up connection if thats what you're asking. The encyption I have is WPA2-PSK with TKIP+AES > have absolutely no idea what that means though. Will try remove all encryption and see if that makes a difference. I connected the netbook with a cable and didn't experience any issues, but will try again just to be sure.

Will also try the DNS setup, although didn't think it could be that as it sometimes has trouble connecting to the router IP address itself.

I also managed to remote into my PC at work via a secure connection and worked seamlessly for about 2 hours, so the network connection once established seems very stable.
 

Highlander

Active Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
75
Sounds like an MTU/MRU issue, how are you dialing up to the ISP? Is your username stored in the router? Or are you attempting PPPoE tunnel over wireless?
Dont use WPA2 on XP SP3 if in doubt remove the encryption from the router and see if that helps.
You can also set your netbook to use static DNS like OpenDNS ie 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
What happens if you connect the Netbook with a cable?
Darn.... I was getting all hopefull and neither of those things worked. Tried setting the router to unsecured and using open DNS, but neither helped. Next step is to try another wireless laptop and to try mine with another router.
 

Sl33py

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
262
Hi
I also have problems with my wireless connection; my router is doing the dialing so I created a PPPoE dial up connection in IE and use that if I am stuck. Since I went from Win 7 to XP I am having problems with my wireless.
My router is close by so I just plug a cable in, waiting for my TechNet to arrive so I can go back to Win 7
 

Highlander

Active Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
75
So yesterday I tried with another laptop and all worked perfectly. I also tried with a LAN cable on my netbook and had the same issue (although didn't last time). Still haven't experienced this on my desktop PC.

My theory that I can rule out both the wireless and LAN adapter and that the problem is most likely with the netbook and not the router. I ran an AVG scan with no issues. Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg
 

Highlander

Active Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
75
Finally sorted this out. Turns out it was AVG itself - more significantly the DISABLED linkscanner.... hmmm... very dodgy as I have the exact same AVG setup on my main PC and never had a problem. Now running another AV programme and no hassles.
 
Top