Wynsam

Expert Member
run iperf against this

eu
paris.testdebit.info 9200 TCP/UDP

usa
iperf.scottlinux.com 5201 tcp/udp

I get less than 3% loss on Metro fiber N
I must be doing something wrong as I get a message "unable to connect to server : Connection refused"

Wynsam

Expert Member
What's the command I should run for the above servers. Please let me have it in a format i can copy and paste. I suspect I am doing something wrong.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Help me understand why packet loss would affect the international speed but not the local?

View attachment 1043065
More hops, it depends on which hop you’re experiencing packet loss.
Speedtest is more like a sanity check, sometimes unreliable.

Sync apps like the OneDrive client will upload in chunks, you won’t see constant network use.

Basically for a better answer, explain exactly what you’re doing with which service then you can compare with others like for like.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Thanks on the heads -up. Fixed it.

Thanks for doing the tests as well. Appreciated. Cool ideas was one of the options that i considered, their website street address plugin was broken though, maybe they care more for the bandwidth than the website though!
Cool Ideas is a good bet as they have mitigations for last mile packet loss. Its still there but the impact is dampened which makes the experience better.

Wynsam

Expert Member
I thought I would share this priceless gem with you all.

I am still experiencing tons of packet loss on the upload side of my MFN line. The ISP refer the fault to MFN who after a little while tell me that the line is perfect and the problem is due to international servers, time of the month, howling at moons etc. (I may have made the the last two up)

Basically there is nothing to be done about it.

In my last reply I sent them some screenshots from my Zoom app usage - the screenshots show that on the video receive side I have zero packet loss, but on the upload side close to 30% packet loss. Basically my upload is borked, which is what I have been telling them all the time.

Here is the answer received. I replaced some the individuals name with Xs.

On 2021/04/08, at 9:39 am, JXXXXs GXXXXr wrote:
This is due to international servers. Depending on the server you are connecting to, the amount of jumps or hops between all the servers, their restrictions, security and the quality of upload speed you get to that server, etc, which affects the packet loss and latency.

Please see below article that stipulates how Zoom has a lot of security problems and this is why last year it was Banned for a while in Germany:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

So the conclusion, good people, is, Zoom has lots of security issues and thats why I have packet loss on the upload side of my fibre line.

Never argue ..........
Mark Twian

Sigh.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I thought I would share this priceless gem with you all.

I am still experiencing tons of packet loss on the upload side of my MFN line. The ISP refer the fault to MFN who after a little while tell me that the line is perfect and the problem is due to international servers, time of the month, howling at moons etc. (I may have made the the last two up)

Basically there is nothing to be done about it.

In my last reply I sent them some screenshots from my Zoom app usage - the screenshots show that on the video receive side I have zero packet loss, but on the upload side close to 30% packet loss. Basically my upload is borked, which is what I have been telling them all the time.

Here is the answer received. I replaced some the individuals name with Xs.

On 2021/04/08, at 9:39 am, JXXXXs GXXXXr wrote:
This is due to international servers. Depending on the server you are connecting to, the amount of jumps or hops between all the servers, their restrictions, security and the quality of upload speed you get to that server, etc, which affects the packet loss and latency.

Please see below article that stipulates how Zoom has a lot of security problems and this is why last year it was Banned for a while in Germany:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

So the conclusion, good people, is, Zoom has lots of security issues and that why I have packet loss on the upload side of my fibre line.

Never argue ..........
Mark Twian

Sigh.
Do an iperf3 test to local servers and check packet loss there, should also show up.

Wynsam

Expert Member
Do an iperf3 test to local servers and check packet loss there, should also show up.
Is there a list of local servers and commands to run? I have run them to a Cool Ideas server in the past but these seems unavailable now.

1617869848242.png

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Is there a list of local servers and commands to run? I have run them to a Cool Ideas server in the past but these seems unavailable now.

View attachment 1048761
I think I used these before:

Issue is SEACOM though, since I last used them they changed to their draconian peering policies.

Technically you could deploy an AWS server for the duration of a test:

@PBCool has some as well, I remember cptspeedtest.cisp.co.za being one of them.

You can use [ code] [ /code] tags for "clean" console outputs.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The prime source of packet loss in most networks is and will always be network congestion, followed by service overload.

Wynsam

Expert Member

Wynsam

Expert Member
Just an update on this matter.

Its been fixed, there is zero packet loss and performance both locally and internationally is 100%.

Cant say I have been delighted at how long its taken to get resolution but it has happened and I am a happy camper for now.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Just an update on this matter.

Its been fixed, there is zero packet loss and performance both locally and internationally is 100%.

Cant say I have been delighted at how long its taken to get resolution but it has happened and I am a happy camper for now.
So what did they do to fix it? Whoever they are.

Wynsam

Expert Member
So what did they do to fix it? Whoever they are.
Not sure. But whatever it was it has stayed sorted. No more packet loss and good speeds.

I would love to know what the range of options are that would cause packet loss. The solutions did not involve coming into the home, replacing routers etc. The problem was further up the line.